Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No he wasn’t an [bleep]. Never the less we knew never to cross a line or dooms days would be upon us. Never did receive physical punishment from Dad, Mom whooped my butt a few times as a kid, slapped my mouth once or twice as an insolent teen.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, I'd not want to be raised like that. I got my hide tanned more than a few times, but it was only for really stupid stuff. If I did what I was told and at least gave it a good go, I had nothing to fear. More often, it was "Way to go sport, how are you going to fix it?"
Eggshells? Nah.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I saw a video of a ghetto mother whoopin' her teen age son with a belt. Hailed as a stern mother, that's all good, right? No, it's not. To me dad should be whoopin' him.

My parents came out of the mountains around Grundy Virginia in the mid 50's. My sister was born in Virginia in 1955 just before they moved. My older brother in 1957, me in 1959 and my younger brother in 1961. My parents essentially stayed in that Appalachian mindset as much as the could their entire life. They associated with Appalachian people mostly, others more distantly.

From birth until 9-10 years old us boys belonged to mom, nurturing and discipline, dad only whooped us occasionally. At 9-10 we became dad's. Big program change, the nurturing part was over for the most part and dad owned your azz. Discipline was hard, being with dad was like walking on egg shells. He didn't use a belt or paddle, he had a 5 foot hickory switch that he peeled, fire hardened and rubbed down with linseed oil. That thing would raise welts through your clothes and on bare skin could make you bleed a bit. Dad used to say, " This house is mine, that dog is mine and you are mine."

We started working with him at 9 years old. Every summer, after school sometimes, and every Saturday. He was a residential building contractor. On the job discipline was with a 4-5 foot 2x4. By the time I was 13 I was expected to know the tasks I was given and to do a man's days labor. The good side of that is when I was 16 I went to another contractor and made $7 and hour. $7 and hour for a 16 year old in 1976 was damn good money.

At 16 one evening at dinner I told my dad, " Monday I'm starting with Bob Masley" . I had expected to take a bit of a whoopin', didn't happen, but I was determined I would go no matter what. My dad said, " Did I say you could get another job?" I said "Nope" looking right at him. He just said, " You better work good for Bob." You see, in our family a son could tarnish the fathers name and his reputation.

So how does that stack up against how you other Appalachian guys were raised.
I was raised much the same way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Family has been up in the SW Virginia mountains and hollers since the mid 1700’s. We were raised strict.

Sam......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
From WV, I got whoopings from lots of people... didn’t help my case when I laughed at ‘em either...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not from Appalachia but I was raised much the same way. In place of the switch Pop had a belt or razor strap. I was much easier on my Boys and they turned out ok.

lightman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was raised up in the Appalachian Mountains in the 60's in a rough as heLL place and still live here, dam proud of it too. Mom wore my legs out many times with some of the knottiest limbs there was, when I misbehaved. Dad was a school principal, he knew how to bust some a$$ for sure, but he never ever whipped me at home or in school. Mom always threatened me, saying that he was going to lay the black belt to my hide, but it never happened. As a child I was raised up pretty strict and I respected my Elders.

I think where society has got off track when they took the punishment out of schools and they started calling switching's, child abuse. A lot of kids these days just need a good a$$ whipping with a Hickory Switch.

NEVER GIVE UP
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I grew up on a dairy farm in SW Virginia in the 50s and 60s. Didn't have to start working until I was big enough to carry a bucket. Gather eggs, slop hogs, feed baby calves, put up hay for us and helped others for 25 cents an hour. Mom and Dad were both firm and we knew not to cross them. Life was good, always had food on the table and a warm and dry place to sleep.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Virginian2
I grew up on a dairy farm in SW Virginia in the 50s and 60s. Didn't have to start working until I was big enough to carry a bucket. Gather eggs, slop hogs, feed baby calves, put up hay for us and helped others for 25 cents an hour. Mom and Dad were both firm and we knew not to cross them. Life was good, always had food on the table and a warm and dry place to sleep.

That was the good ole days for sure, a lot of these kids these days don't even know how to grow a garden.

NEVER GIVE UP
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent the summer of 1956 as a 5 year old on my grandparent's 40 acre farm in Bristol VA.
They had two plow horses, 7 cows, an outhouse, a well house, 3 barns, a chicken coop, a pig pen, and tobacco patch for money.
They cooked on a wood stove and had kerosene lamps for light. Compared to Seattle, I had gone back 50 years in time.
At age 5 they put me to work hoeing the tobacco patch.
I loved it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I spent the summer of 1956 as a 5 year old on my grandparent's 40 acre farm in Bristol VA.
They had two plow horses, 7 cows, an outhouse, a well house, 3 barns, a chicken coop, a pig pen, and tobacco patch for money.
They cooked on a wood stove and had kerosene lamps for light. Compared to Seattle, I had gone back 50 years in time.
I loved it.

Yelp Bristol, TN. / Bristol, VA. I am not far from there, my friend.

You ever heard of Bloody Madison?

Last edited by BIGR; 06/22/18.

NEVER GIVE UP
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well all that is where my family roots are... even tho my dad was military...

kinda grew up in a combination of old Scottish Mountain Discipline and Marine Corps basic training...

the liberals kinda made all of that to be politically incorrect and like anything else they have touched
look how the outcome has served America....

I haven't had to physically discipline my children growing up... I wanted them to have a different life
than I had on the home front.... when they did something wrong, we sat down and talked about making
choices, right and wrong... they always seemed to respond to it...

I know in Scouting, I've had to sit down with kids and talk about them losing any discipline...
At first they would give me, this 'you aren't my dad' routine..

to which my usual response was.. You and I can have this conversation, or ME YOU and YOUR DAD can
have this conversation, which one would you like to do? They usually wanted their dad left out of it, and
all of sudden gave me all the attention I needed to get the point across...

I learned as a kid, smart ones, learn to act a certain way and avoid having to be physically disciplined...
the ones who always got physically abused to be straightened out.. I looked at as Slow Learners...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I was raised the same way. My dad was from the Ozarks. He only whipped me 4 times but I remember every one and what it was for. I never let him catch me doing any of those things twice. They were bad beatings and it wouldn't be tolerated today. It wasn't right and I didn't handle my kids that way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dad was a cool fair disciplinarian. Usually. That only changed if you really crossed a line, or scared him. (Another story, coulda been killed)
He put the belt to you when you had it coming, but reasonably.

Mother? She has a bad temper. I had many bare assed switchings. Blood has been shed.
She almost KO'd me once with a heavy bowl, my knees buckled and I staggered around a bit.

Harsh? Yep.

Glad for it. I am headstrong and seriously resent any authority.
They kept me scared until I developed a sense of right and wrong that has kept me out of trouble.

To this day I look for ways to get away with a lot of things that would be quite bad.
My raising, and conscience keep me straight.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 06/22/18.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Raised in Colorado not Appalachia but we were raised with expectations too.

Something that's sorely lacking these days where kids expect to be millionaires but don't have the discipline to show up on time and work hard....

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Discipline was "severe" when I was growing up - and it didn't help that I was (in my late mother's words) "the worlds best bad example" smile
My kids were raised on the premise that God put padding on a child's backside for a reason. Barehanded smacks as attention getters were all we ever needed.
Kids came out just fine.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BIGR
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I loved it.

Yelp Bristol, TN. / Bristol, VA. I am not far from there, my friend.

You ever heard of Bloody Madison?

No.
My relatives had the Ratliff Candy Company, that is still run by them.
My grandparents farm was on Reedy Creek Road near the Malone cemetery.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (264mag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 41rem, 10gaugemag, 34 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,036
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.