Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Lennie
Quoting a recent article on house hold income

District of Columbia: $110,614
The median household in D.C. rakes in a yearly income of $110,614, the highest in the country.....

From my perspective, this is from all the taxes and fees we pay the federal government. For Washington DC to have the highest per household income is flat wrong.

I doubt anyone is living fat off $110,000 in that area. A dog box on a quarter acre will cost you $750,000

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Lennie
Quoting a recent article on house hold income

District of Columbia: $110,614
The median household in D.C. rakes in a yearly income of $110,614, the highest in the country.....

From my perspective, this is from all the taxes and fees we pay the federal government. For Washington DC to have the highest per household income is flat wrong.

No, the high income in DC is not a factor of government. Only about 14-15% f employment is Federal Government, the rest is private sector (high tech, legal, entrepreneur ship, etc.).

Yes, the average Federal salary does exceed the national norm due to the large number of professional employees that are employed. Basically, during the Reagan Administration, virtually all unskilled trades were eliminated by contracting out for such services. Doctors, PhD's, high level military officers in DC ARE paid higher salaries than assembly workers in auto plants in Alabama, South Carolina or Michigan.

BTW, the salaries paid to physicians in Federal Employment is less than that paid to private sector physicians. This is one reason the VA has had trouble attracting physicians to serve the medical needs of veterans, resulting in lengthy waits for appointments. From an internet search:
https://www.federalpay.org/employees/occupations/medical-officer

From a Google search:
What percent of federal employees work in Washington DC?
However, the D.C. metro – with 14.1 percent of its workforce made up of federal employees – actually ranks fourth in terms of the share of its workforce made up by the federal government. Topping it are Colorado Springs (with a 16.4 percent federal share), Virginia Beach (16.1 percent), and Honolulu (15.4 percent).

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Any house in Northern Virginia selling at $700,000 or less (not many to be found) is a tear-down. Check Zillow ( https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/22180_rb/ ) for Vienna, Virginia and find houses for less (most go for $1,000,000 plus - AND, Vienna is not a prestige address.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"I really expected it to be more. A construction worker in the South can make that much if he shows up on the job."

Bullshit. In what trade, in what state in the South, can a guy make 110K? I have done all kinds of construction work in the South, since 1966, I am an expert framing carpenter and log home builder and never got anywhere near that. That is why I have a big pay upgrade, driving an 18 wheeler across Texas for $70K.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"I really expected it to be more. A construction worker in the South can make that much if he shows up on the job."

Bullshit. In what trade, in what state in the South, can a guy make 110K? I have done all kinds of construction work in the South, since 1966, I am an expert framing carpenter and log home builder and never got anywhere near that. That is why I have a big pay upgrade, driving an 18 wheeler across Texas for $70K.

expert framing carpenter ? lol......what's that ?...….bob

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by lightman
I really expected it to be more. A construction worker in the South can make that much if he shows up on the job.

Yep. That’s what I was thinking.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SeanD
Originally Posted by Seafire
Unless its changed from when I grew up in Northern Va...

That figure has to be skewed...

If the median average in the District is $110K a year....
you consider how much of the District is low income welfare collecting ghetto crowd types
( translate that as Ghetto Afro.. and I am sure a lot of hispanic now, which wasn't there back
in my days).. then the people with money in the District are making REAL Big Bucks.

You confuse median with mean.

Just like you confuse the traditional Mecca of marijuana in Oregon (your local) with Portland.

I've noticed that most people don't know the difference between median and mean.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by djs
Any house in Northern Virginia selling at $700,000 or less (not many to be found) is a tear-down. Check Zillow ( https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/22180_rb/ ) for Vienna, Virginia and find houses for less (most go for $1,000,000 plus - AND, Vienna is not a prestige address.

Hard to chase the American dream in that area on $110,000

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here are our numbers, Potter County, PA

Population 17,021 up 3.48%
Veterans 1,534
Median income $40, 921
People in poverty 14%

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Not bullshit! I'm not saying that this is an average. But a good electrical, plumber or heating and air man can make those figures. I retired as a Lineman and I made that. I was also a licensed electrician and made close to that some years working part time. I'm in Arkansas.

lightman
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
My daughter got a job offer in DC when she earned her masters for 48k a year. She did some checking and was told she would need to earn at least 80 to afford to live by herself in something not too nice. And that wouldn't include parking if she had a car. when you consider that 110 K doesn't sound too good.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Lobbyist's make a nice chunk of change. Largest concentration of lobbyist's in the entire world.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Lots of plumbers here make a hundred plus.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hanco
You'd have to pay me alot more than that to get me to play in other peoples shyt. I've done my own plumbing work here and I don't ever feel "clean" again for at least a month and 50 showers afterward. And that's after disinfecting myself from head to toe with lysol, bleach and rubbing alcohol the day of the dirty deed.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Blackheart
You'd have to pay me alot more than that to get me to play in other peoples shyt. I've done my own plumbing work here and I don't ever feel "clean" again for at least a month and 50 showers afterward. And that's after disinfecting myself from head to toe with lysol, bleach and rubbing alcohol the day of the dirty deed.

What a fugkin' pussy.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by SeanD
Originally Posted by Seafire
Unless its changed from when I grew up in Northern Va...

That figure has to be skewed...

If the median average in the District is $110K a year....
you consider how much of the District is low income welfare collecting ghetto crowd types
( translate that as Ghetto Afro.. and I am sure a lot of hispanic now, which wasn't there back
in my days).. then the people with money in the District are making REAL Big Bucks.

You confuse median with mean.

Just like you confuse the traditional Mecca of marijuana in Oregon (your local) with Portland.

I've noticed that most people don't know the difference between median and mean.

Yep and there is no way one can live in Washington DC proper for 110,000

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Blackheart

What a fugkin' pussy.
I don't like human shyt. Which is why I don't like you.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Sure a construction worker can be a lot of things, but for 110K a carpenter is likely not one of them. I have been a self employed carpenter for 13 yrs , before that 5 yrs in the union. My best years were last year , I made $58K. That is my best year. Figure in rain , snow and wind days and you are down a lot of hours. Figure in a date I'm supposed to start , call to tell I am starting on the planned date to be told I now have to start in two weeks instead, ETC. A lot of days get lost like that. As for Washington DC, that is not a high salary area. It is the outskirts where the people live who make money. Take the 10 wealthiest zip codes in the USA and 5 are in the suburbs of Washington DC. This is the swamp that does not want to be drained.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
And yeas plumbers make 100 plus , and they are terribly over paid. YES , THEY ARE! It's not all that hard, but anyone in the construction should make more than anyone from the swamp.

Last edited by ihookem; 06/24/18.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ihookem
And yeas plumbers make 100 plus , and they are terribly over paid. YES , THEY ARE! It's not all that hard.
It's because they have to work in human shyt, hair balls, smelly, greasy sludge out of sink traps etc.. It sure ain't rocket science.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,782
Posts18,515,759
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.