Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RinB
Frequently there is an inverse relationship between owning a bunch of stuff and doing much hunting with all that stuff. Own less and hunt more for me!

That's one idea, I suppose.

In my case, hunting is a close to home proposition, and even with generous seasons there's a lot of "off time". Dinking around with rifles fills that, and keeps my wallet from getting too fat as well. Still, I'm trying to keep the number manageable. There's a lot of futzing around possible with even one rifle. I've had some .308 sabots and a seater tool lying around for a good while, for instance, and several thousand .224 bullets (SPS, don'tcha know). I think it's time to get to work there.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Did two project rifles last winter, swore I wouldnt do any....butttttt.....

None in the works right now...I'm waiting to finish burning out a couple barrels.... whistle

Last winters guns....
Rem 700 .30-06 cobble job...

[Linked Image]

And a Parker Hale Super in .25-06

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Those loads I shot yesterday also kick too hard for me.

I have the books open to load up some 243's

My old M70 Varmint 243's worn out bbl. has been replaced by a friends new pre-64 M70 220 swift bbl. That's a 26" that should cover what varmint hunting I do at a distance. I also have a new Kimber 84M 243.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Gotta cerakote this and I am done for a while

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Ok apparently I have lost the ability to post a pic of my 6.5x55 mauser

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I have a Voere Cougar in 308 Norma Mag "M 98" that I bought some years ago. Put it in a after market stock and didn't shoot for shat and stuck it in the safe. Thinking pull it out and try to bring it back to life.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m repainting my 16 foot trailer and putting new boards on it. I need to go to deer leases to fill feeders. It’s hot working on the damn thing.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My biggest project since 1997 has just begun this weekend. My gun room is being moved to a room twice its current size. Everything has to be torn down, boxed up, labeled. The new room is getting painted tomorrow. Carpet in a couple of weeks. Gonna be some work for sure. But, it will accommodate my soon retirement & full tilt into load works & ammo making, much of which, has been on hold for a few too many years.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ingwe:

Are you planning to drop that PH in another stock or take a rasp and put that one on a diet?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Ingwe:

Are you planning to drop that PH in another stock or take a rasp and put that one on a diet?

Im keeping it in the original stock, I like that flashy pseudo-Weatherby look....

Kinda like a Weatherby except it works well, and shoots well! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've got two going right now:

Just shipped the barreled action of my Remington 700 9.3 Barsness-Sisk to Charlie with another #4 Lilja stainless barrel in 6.5mm, 1-8 twist for rebarreling to 6.5 PRC, the new Hornady round that fills the "gap" between the Creedmoor and the longer "magnum" 6.5's. The PRC pretty much a short 6.5-06, but with factory ammo and brass. Did it partly because of an assignment, but it will also provide a "slow switch-barrel" rifle chambered for a pair of 6.5 and 9.3 cartridges that can handle about any kind of hunting.

The other project is now over 5 years old. In 2013 a good friend in the business offered to arrange the building of a custom rifle, and I had a spare commercial FN Mauser action on hand. Sent it to him to be made into a .280 AI or something like that. The guy who was doing the work, however, became seriously ill and had to quit the business, so my good friend arranged to send the action to a fine barrelmaker we both knew (another good friend).

By that time I'd decided to do a traditional walnut-stocked rifle, so had him fit a very slim barrel in .257 Roberts.
All that took a year, and after the barreling, the guy who arranged the deal had the barreled action sent to a good stockmaker. After two years he had made some headway, but eventually got stuck somehow, apparently due to a lack of time.

Since I used to make walnut stocks (including checkering), early this year I asked him to send me the thing, and I'd finish it up. That somehow took several months, and when it arrived I discovered several parts were missing, including the action screws, magazine spring and follower, bolt-stop/ejector housing and a $200 custom trigger.
Luckily I had plenty of spare 98 Mauser parts on hand and am getting it all together again.

The stock came inletted and shaped, but unfinished without a recoil pad, so sand, finish and checker it, then have the metal finished. But at least it's in my hands now, and after 5+ years there's light at the end of the tunnel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Takes artistic talent and ability to do work like that. Unfortunately, my artistic abilities peaked in 2nd grade, then back slid to the kindergarten level. Post pics when you're done, please.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've got two going right now:

Just shipped the barreled action of my Remington 700 9.3 Barsness-Sisk to Charlie with another #4 Lilja stainless barrel in 6.5mm, 1-8 twist for rebarreling to 6.5 PRC, the new Hornady round that fills the "gap" between the Creedmoor and the longer "magnum" 6.5's. The PRC pretty much a short 6.5-06, but with factory ammo and brass. Did it partly because of an assignment, but it will also provide a "slow switch-barrel" rifle chambered for a pair of 6.5 and 9.3 cartridges that can handle about any kind of hunting.

The other project is now over 5 years old. In 2013 a good friend in the business offered to arrange the building of a custom rifle, and I had a spare commercial FN Mauser action on hand. Sent it to him to be made into a .280 AI or something like that. The guy who was doing the work, however, became seriously ill and had to quit the business, so my good friend arranged to send the action to a fine barrelmaker we both knew (another good friend).

By that time I'd decided to do a traditional walnut-stocked rifle, so had him fit a very slim barrel in .257 Roberts.
All that took a year, and after the barreling, the guy who arranged the deal had the barreled action sent to a good stockmaker. After two years he had made some headway, but eventually got stuck somehow, apparently due to a lack of time.

Since I used to make walnut stocks (including checkering), early this year I asked him to send me the thing, and I'd finish it up. That somehow took several months, and when it arrived I discovered several parts were missing, including the action screws, magazine spring and follower, bolt-stop/ejector housing and a $200 custom trigger.
Luckily I had plenty of spare 98 Mauser parts on hand and am getting it all together again.

The stock came inletted and shaped, but unfinished without a recoil pad, so sand, finish and checker it, then have the metal finished. But at least it's in my hands now, and after 5+ years there's light at the end of the tunnel.

That sounds like something that would happen to me. A so called "good deal" that turns into a "not so good deal".
Kudos for sticking it out. please post pics when your done.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reads like a horror story without the nerve-jangling music and sound effects. I have a philosophy I've used for a long time, though, and it has served me well: when friends do things for you, you don't bitch about how they do it. You put the friendship at risk otherwise, and good friends are not expendable. Five years IS a long time, though.

So, JB...when are these Barsness Riflestock Co products coming to market?.
:P

I know, i know...

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
RiverRider,

My good friend is still a good friend, but I doubt he'll be arranging any more rifle builds for me in the future!

Might not checker the stock myself, though. There's more than one custom checkerer in Montana who charges very reasonable prices, and the reason I quit making my own stocks around a decade ago was a lack of time. At this point paying somebody might make more sense....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Im keeping it in the original stock, I like that flashy pseudo-Weatherby look....

Kinda like a Weatherby except it works well, and shoots well! laugh

Here's my Zastava M98 - same action as the PH, different stock finish, and probably different barrel profile. It has the same muzzle diameter as a Win M70 Fwt: .550, only it's a 24 inch barrel and has a pretty quick taper from the shank. And yep, this thing will shoot. I see them on Gunbroker all the time for less than $600 NIB. Talk about a sleeper.

[url=https://imgur.com/NcXDy0p][Linked Image]

Last edited by RevMike; 06/24/18. Reason: Add pic

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 3,084 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.