Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I always preach safety. You can never be too safe.
Here is a link, it might keep you out of trouble. Stay safe out there.
Oh yes, happy hunting.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve never had one happen while hunting. Recently though I did watch a round cook off in the chamber of an M249 and send shrapnel into the face of someone who wasn’t following proper procedures. Thankfully no serious damage was done other than some bleeding and a nasty looking scar, but serves as a reminder than bad things can and do happen.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Those pictures should be mandatory for hunter safety.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve never seen or personally known anyone that’s had an accident. I’m hoping to keep it that way.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Most hunting accidents aren't accidents. They are usually a violation of not one, not two, but 3 safety rules.

1. Un-necessary round in the chamber
2. "Trust" a safety ( which may or may not have been properly employed)
3. muzzle in unsafe direction.

Observing number 1 and number 3, together or separately prevents pretty near ALL "accidents".

I personally heavily favor 1, as this mitigates any inadvertent 3 - stumbles and the like, and all following safety rules, which of course should be observed as well.

Chit happens!

Last edited by las; 06/22/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by las
Most hunting accidents aren't accidents. They are usually a violation of not one, not two, but 3 safety rules.

Observing number 1 and number 3, together or separately prevents pretty near ALL "accidents".

I personally heavily favor 1, as this mitigates any inadvertent 3 - stumbles and the like, and all following safety rules, which of course should be observed as well.

Chit happens!

Amen brother. I avoid people that tell me they are ALWAYS aware of where the muzzle is pointed.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't even keep a round in my rifle chamber when I am with other people until I'm in my blind. I am super cautious. When I was a teen, a hunting club member had a discharge that I never forgot............

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My opinion "safety is not an accident "

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a fellow blow a hole thru his hand here locally during turkey season. Was crawling up on some turkeys dragging his shotgun by the end of the barrel. Muzzleloader shotgun to be clear. Hammer got hung on some brush and it discharged. Nice big hole thru his hand about 3". I saw the pictures nasty.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Buddy had a atv come over on him. Hellocopter evacuation from just west of Pinedale Wyoming to Twin Falls Idaho. Ruptured spleen. 28 breaks in his ribs and broken elbo. Lucky they had a sat phone.Doctor said he was 1/2 hr from bleeding out . Lucky man. Lucky the friend with the phone had EMT training also. I missed this elk hunt because of a Tibial Plateau Fracture.

Last edited by sidepass; 06/23/18.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sidepass
My opinion "safety is not an accident "

So true.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Where I used to live we hunted with a guy that unbeknown to me ,carried a snubbie .357 in his pants pocket while hunting. One day he took a 125 hp down the front of his leg and into the top of his knee and out the lower part. Only good thing is, his 300 lb frame and a poorly repaired knee keep him out of them woods anymore. He almost bleed out before they got enough EMT's to haul him out of the woods.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't even keep gas in the truck. Haven't had a driving accident in years.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When my wife worked ER during archery season, she would come home about once a week with a story about someone falling out of their tree stand. The lucky ones only broke a leg or arm. The unlucky ones got broad heads through their abdominal wall, or were permanently disabled from breaking their back or neck, or died from hanging upside down from a "safety belt", or from exposure because they broke their back and could not get out of the woods or reach their cell phone. I don't know if her intention was to keep me out of trees or not, but I never did hunt from one. My back has enough rods in it today that she has stopped worrying.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I don't even keep gas in the truck. Haven't had a driving accident in years.

Great logic...

Thinking at that level should be painful...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I was bird hunting once and a guy in front of me shot his buddy in the tongue while shooting at a pheasant. The buddy was huffing and puffing up the hill and had his mouth open!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sako76
I was bird hunting once and a guy in front of me shot his buddy in the tongue while shooting at a pheasant. The buddy was huffing and puffing up the hill and had his mouth open!

Nothing sounds right here at all... no one should be in front of you when bird hunting unless you are driving birds to standers...

???

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The ole rest the barrel of the gun on my foot...trick. I have a friend that has been hunting 3 times at night in his lifetime and someone was shot each time. The second accident happened when two individuals were in the back seat of a car...both jumped out at the same time and the guy on the left side pulled his shotgun out just as the man on the right side was ducking to get out and the shotgun went off. The guy lost the right side of his buttock. Makes me shiver to think about it. powdr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las

Chit happens!

+1

The vast majority of our hunting is done empty chamber. No one has ever been shot with a firearm having an empty chamber.

Years ago I spent a few days hunting elk with a coworker and his friend from LA. The friend told us on the last day that his safety didn't work so he just kept his finger off the trigger. Never hunted with either again, the coworker because he couldn't control his muzzle, his friend because he was an idiot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother had a wooden stand collapse under him once. He fell about 15' damaged his glasses, and twisted his ankle or knee (don't recall which) and made things painful, but no serious injury. Other than minor nicks while butchering, or slips on rough terrain, I can't recall any major injuries. And I've been hunting nearly 50yrs.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.