Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Question for anyone that took a full size camera (DSLR) on safari with you, did you pack it in checked baggage or in your carry on? And what type of lenses did you take?

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
First time I went my full size camera was in carry on. I used a telephoto lens that went out to 300mm IIRC.

The next seven trips I carried a quality compact camera. My current one is a Panasonic LUMIX with a 25 time optical zoom and enough features to keep you busy forever or you can set it on automatic.

Way too much time on foot to be lugging a big camera around for me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never put a valuable in checked luggage.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My camera and binos were both in my carry on. I want the airline employees to have as little access to valuables as possible

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I always carry ALL my cameras in carry-on, in my standard hunting daypack.

Always take two bigger camera and a compact small enough to fit in a pocket of my hunting shirt, because there are always photo-ops, especially when you least expect them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Anything of real value goes in carry on when I travel, anywhere.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the information

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I agree with the above, take anything of value in your carry on. However, I will add, that if you are headed to the plane and they say that your carry-on is too big or that they don't have any more space and you need to check your carry on at the gate, make sure you remove said valuables. I lost my camera with all of my pics to this scheme when my camera was stolen from my carry on in Zimbabwe. Found out later this was a quite common occurance. I could have cared less about the camera, but my memory card with all pictures was still in the camera, so I came back with very few pictures. At a minimum, swap out your memory card before you travel and keep the card on your person.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
My camera and binos were both in my carry on. I want the airline employees to have as little access to valuables as possible

Exactly!

NRA Patron
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
(1) Never put anything of value in your checked baggage other then your gun.
(2) Always keep your SD cards and/or film separate from your camera.
(3) In case they say your carry-on is too big or over weight and must be checked, keep a canvas tote in your carry-on.
(4) Use said canvas tote in your carry-on in case of above #3, put the camera, SD cards/film and other valuable in the tote and carry the tote on the plane and let them gate check the carry-on.
(5) Thief's are everywhere.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Inside my cary on bag was....

Boots
Full change of hunting clothes
Binoculars
Range Finder
Camera
Headphone buds
Food
Multiple sets of my important paperwork
Medicine

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Good info, everyone.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Inside my cary on bag was....

Boots
Full change of hunting clothes
Binoculars
Range Finder
Camera
Headphone buds
Food
Multiple sets of my important paperwork
Medicine

Exactly the same except I wear my boots. They are just that comfortable.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Carry on and I used lenses up to 600mm for a conventional camera and will take 2-4 cameras if weight allows. I like to get some point and shoot cameras and let the trackers snap away with them. Typically they have a unique or different perspective and you can get some surprising shots doing this. If you take any big lenses some type of tripod or mount is needed. The rifle stock type set up works well for medium lenses out of a vehicle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike70560
First time I went my full size camera was in carry on. I used a telephoto lens that went out to 300mm IIRC.

The next seven trips I carried a quality compact camera. My current one is a Panasonic LUMIX with a 25 time optical zoom and enough features to keep you busy forever or you can set it on automatic.

Way too much time on foot to be lugging a big camera around for me.

Carry on. Panasonic Lumix FZ200. I run it full auto most times. As a superzoom (mid 20x), it can really reach out. Outstanding camera. I used it most when touring, otherwise I used my Panasonic TS5 weatherproof point and shoot. Another outstanding camera. I will pass this on to my wife when the next model comes out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.