Originally Posted by MarkFed
[Linked Image]

Looks like the high school parking lot near my house

Camp is where you make it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
They're bought by people that go to Home Depot 2 times a year for some landscaping mulch, a few retaining wall block, and 7 2x4's to make a shelf in the shed for the old lady to plant flowers on.

I could go buy one tomorrow. I have not found anything I like better than my 14 Ram that I'd be willing to pay for. If I spend that kind of money for something it's going to be land. They don't make than anymore.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
Originally Posted by Heym06
I like the city folks buying new loaded pick-ups! When there lease is off, buy reasonable and put them to work!

As has been alluded to, I wish this was the case, but I just don't see it in my neck of the woods. Trucks 3-4 years old are just a few grand away from a new truck.

Not just your neck of the woods. Check any national sources of used rigs and you'll be shocked to see the price of used rigs.

Totally different for other vehicles. My wife got a 2 y/o Mercedes E350 with 11k on the odo for 2/3 the cost of a new one.

My 06 2500 cummins was totaled out. It was 10 years old with 150k on the odo and appraised at 56% of what I bought it for new.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Who is buying a $100,000 pickup? The smart ones buy it when it’s a 3 year old lease return with 28,000 highway miles and all service performed timely at the dealership, paying 1/3 what it went for 3 years earlier.

You've apparently never shopped for a used truck.

No chit

Actually quite the opposite, I’ve never shopped for a new truck and only bought lightly used lease trade ins. I haven’t bought a lease trade in for some years but I don’t think the principle of depreciation has changed in that time. 😉

Realistically though I’ve paid roughly 50% of the original sale price on a 3 year old lease trade in. The last Chevrolet Silverado I bought had 30,000 miles and was less than half of new.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is the case around here. Used pickups, especially the diesels, hold their value really well.

One thing I have noticed traveling around is there are definitely more 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and diesels per capita in the Rockies than in the Midwest or East. When you go to a dealership in Utah, if they have 50 new 2500's and 3500's, 40-45 of them will be diesels and 5-10 will be gas trucks. I always buy the diesel as they hold their value better, get enough better mileage to usually offset the higher fuel cost and the truck will almost always be worth more. Usually $10,000+ more than the gas truck over the life of the truck. So, in essence, you get the diesel for free in the long run. Plus, being a farmer, I pull all manner of heavy stuff.

I bought a new 2006 3500 Dodge Mega Cab 5.9 Cummins for $36,000 (after rebates and discounts) in July 2006. Sold it in September 2016 for $29,000 with 120,000 miles. The NADA value on the same truck with the 5.7 Hemi was $16,000. Considering the fact that the diesel was a $7,000 option when I bought the truck, it actually saved me money over time.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Who is buying a $100,000 pickup? The smart ones buy it when it’s a 3 year old lease return with 28,000 highway miles and all service performed timely at the dealership, paying 1/3 what it went for 3 years earlier.

No chit

Actually quite the opposite, I’ve never shopped for a new truck and only bought lightly used lease trade ins. I haven’t bought a lease trade in for some years but I don’t think the principle of depreciation has changed in that time. 😉

Realistically though I’ve paid roughly 50% of the original sale price on a 3 year old lease trade in. The last Chevrolet Silverado I bought had 30,000 miles and was less than half of new.

Traded of our 2015 Ram 2500 diesel w/ 35k miles on it on the new F150 a couple months ago.

Neighbor went down to inquire about buying it. He ended up buying a new Ram 2500 diesel for about 2 grand more. I sure don't blame him.

Used late model pickups are within a few thousand of what you can buy a new one for.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Why not if you want one. Since retiring 2 years ago we have blown about $50k on travel and replaced our 2015 4runner w/ a new one and bought a 5'x8' enclosed utility trailer to haul camping gear. Life is short why not enjoy it at the level you can afford. We are now considering a 4 season travel trailer and will buy a great truck to pull it. We love viewing the west through a windshield and I like to drive so why not do it in style.

So many mountains, canyons, rivers and prairies to enjoy and so little time.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Any thing that has Toyota on it holds their value. But last year bought a 2005 XK8 Jaguar with
52,000 mile for 15 thousand. near perfect condition. Only drive it 2 or 3 thousand miles a year.
I think it was a great buy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

Any thing that has Toyota on it holds their value. But last year bought a 2005 XK8 Jaguar with
52,000 mile for 15 thousand. near perfect condition. Only drive it 2 or 3 thousand miles a year.
I think it was a great buy.

What does a miled out 14 year old Jag have to do with a thread about pickups?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by gregintenn
What would a new pickup cost if we took the "union factor" out?

whistle

Take away that, plus all the .gov mandated safety features and smog crap, and they'd be damn near giving them away.

I bet doing away with all the emissions BS would lower the price $5-6000..... Make a pickup 4-5 mpg more efficient, and twice as reliable.

They’d cost the same, the manufacturers would just be making more profits off of them. A product is priced based upon what it’ll bring, not what it costs to make. Ford isn’t going to sell a truck for $50K that they can sell for $100K even if the labor is free.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

No chit

Traded of our 2015 Ram 2500 diesel w/ 35k miles on it on the new F150 a couple months ago.

Neighbor went down to inquire about buying it. He ended up buying a new Ram 2500 diesel for about 2 grand more. I sure don't blame him.

Used late model pickups are within a few thousand of what you can buy a new one for.

I think he’s talking about a 2wd, regular cab or something not real desirable.

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 06/28/18.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used gas trucks may be a good deal. Used diesel sure don't seem to be.

You may get lucky and find a decent one, but most are within spitting distance of new or clapped out and 10+ years old.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone have an opinion or experience with the new 6 cyl diesel Dodge 1500? I am somewhat intrigued with it.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A non 4wd truck isn’t a truck. Halt ton 4wd gas trucks don’t hold their “value” like a diesel. My posts were not in regards to diesels only gas trucks. There are a lot of good deals on used 4wd extra cab gas trucks around here. They’re hardly gold nuggets nor are they “rare”.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A non 4wd truck isn’t a truck.

Bullshit....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Does anyone have an opinion or experience with the new 6 cyl diesel Dodge 1500? I am somewhat intrigued with it.

If you’re talking about the Ecodiesel we had one for a short time as a company truck. POS spent a lot of time in the shop and had the hauling capacity of a 85 Crown Vic. Kid that works for another fab shop nearby had one that they bent the axle when they loaded a trailer a bit too tongue heavy, not that that has anything to do with it being an Ecodiesel, just that they aren’t HD trucks

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jbmi
Who buys a 100K pick-up ?
Anybody who can afford it. It's no different than driving a Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Lincoln or Caddy.
They are made for people with an income that enjoy the nicer things in life.
I live in a state that only has 4 1/2 months to enjoy good boating weather. Our marinas are full with waiting lists for basic boats the start out at 65K and go over a million. We owned different ones for 25 years and maybe used it 30 days, but we enjoyed every day it was used.
Spend your money on sheep hunts, cruises, expensive guns or golf clubs, or what ever you want, my wife says, you work hard for your money, enjoy the benefits of your labor.
I do, I haul around my 16K Trap Gun in a BMW Z4, wife and I drive new vehicles every 4 years, buy, don't lease.
After you raise a family, send them through college, pay for their weddings, it's time to think about your wants and needs, you may have only 20+ years to enjoy this freedom, when they bury you, it's not what you have left in the bank that matter, but it's the memories and fun you had along the way.

Good post.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

I talked to an owner and he said it has no guts.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never owned a brand new vehicle in my life, and doubt I ever will. It's just not that big a deal to me. A vehicle is just a tool, not a status symbol, or anything I'm enamored with. My latest purchase was an older Dodge Dakota 4WD. 160K miles on it, a little rust, but who cares? If it runs for a few years, I'll be happy. Haven't put anything into it yet, and I only drive it about 20 miles a day, so it ought to last. I'm in it for $2,000.00. Let someone else take the depreciation that comes the second you turn the key on a new vehicle.

Last edited by gophergunner; 06/29/18.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I recently spent more than I wanted to on a new truck. A relatively plain Ram 3500 with Aisin transmission. I like the truck just fine but there are aspects of this truck which are reflective of the shortcomings of all of them IMO. First, let me say that this truck, like most offered today, is mechanically excellent in most respects. It has all the power one needs, rides well (for a one ton truck), handles well, and does what is required of it. However, it is also saddled with all the gimmicks which do little to enhance performance and do a lot to compromise it.
There is no way that scrolling through a menu screen, using controls on the steering wheel, tp check on engine temp, oil pressure, etc., is any better than simply looking at gauges which are visible all the time. The cost of design and implementation of this stupidity drives costs up. The control of power delivery seems somewhat removed from driver input simply because it is. The computer handles it all and throttle response is delayed. The transmission, a robust and (one hopes) reliable unit, shifts when one would rather it did not and, should the driver wish to use the manual shift mode, takes driver commands as a suggestion rather than an order. The elimination of gimmickery on this truck would reduce the price by 10 grand.
The compression brake should be controlled by a big knob located close at hand, rather than a little button which is hard to find. The "auto" mode should not exist; I can decide, on my own, when I do or don't need braking. When I can't, I should quit driving.
I detest anti-lock brakes and traction control. I would rather have a lever, connected directly to the transfer case, to shift into 4wd (that's my traction control). Manual locking hubs are a good thing IMO, and I wish these trucks had them. When I'm so feeble I can't pull a lever to shift or get out of the truck to turn hubs in, I'll turn in my man card and quit driving anything.
The seats are great and are easily as good as those in any vehicle I've owned. Much better than the bench in my low-mileage 81 Dodge and better than our Toyota Matrix.
There has been a deliberate attempt to make maintenance more difficult by hiding filters, etc., in places which are difficult to access. If it becomes possible to contribute to a plan to tar and feather the designers responsible for this, you can count me in.
A truck which costs this much and which is intended for heavy-duty use, should not come with such POS tires (Firestone Transforce). I've gotten better life out of bias-ply re-caps. Luckily, I have a source for cheap tires so replacing these was relatively painless.
Body design, while attractive enough, is terrible as far as divability is concerned. I don't when I'll be able to be confident as to where the fornt bumper is, if ever. Can't see the front of the hood or tell where the wheels are. By contrast, the '81 Dodge is a breeze to handle in tight spaces. I can see the front of the hood and know the bumper is not far infront of it. I can also open the windows on the old truck with no buffeting. Not so on the new Ram; or on any of the newer trucks I've driven.
So, of the sixty thousand dollars I spent on this truck, I figure I spent at least ten on electronic controls and crap. I spent five grand on unwanted safety crap (air bags, antilock brakes, traction control etc.) and another bunch on body design which compromises performance and makes maintenance more difficult. I figure the truck could have been made to sell for around forty thousand and been a better truck. The thing is, mist people like the gimmicks and like the "bells and whistles". They like the creature comforts (heated seats etc.) and I have to pay so they can have their testicles warmed up. GD

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (163bc, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,990
Posts18,499,895
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.