Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Purchased a new Pelican single rifle case for trip to Namibia in July. Model 3410, I believe. Previously used a Tuff Pak. This case has the layers of foam on the bottom. I know you can cut out a outline of your rifle but I also wondered, since the foam is in several layers, has anyone just removed one layer and then put the rifle in the case in a soft case? Or is that too much of a pain when they open to check the rifle?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took all the foam out of mine. Rifle(s) in soft case. Used the remaining space for a change of hunting clothes, shooting sticks, cleaning kit, etc....Works great.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took out the middle layer and put rifle in soft case. Took just the 375 H&H and used extra room for jacket, extra scope and ammo belt.

Do or do not, there is no try.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Was having the rifle in a soft case inside the hard case any sort of hassle for inspection by Customs or the airline?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I used a 2 rifle Pelican to go to Moz and wished I would have done what was suggested above, take out 2 layers of foam and put rifles in soft cases and other stuff around them. What I saw, it would have not slowed down, the rifle inspection at any of the airports.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the replies so far....

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Sure, you can do it. But, Pelican does put that "extra" foam for no reason, either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you have to wait for their beaks to empty before casing them, or are the cases made to fit a full beak?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Do you have to wait for their beaks to empty before casing them, or are the cases made to fit a full beak?

Depends on when they last ate.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No it did not slow anything down. Just unzipped case part way and slid the gun out for inspection. I figured I needed the soft case while hunting so that seemed like the best way to get the soft case over. They take up a fair amount of room in the checked bag. I also had the bolt out and wrapped in a towel separately in the Pelican case.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have two of the Storm/Pelican double rifle cases. More than a dozen trips to Africa on both. I've traveled with guys who use the Tuffpaks. For me, the Pelicans are easier - both to pack and present rifles for Customs (foreign and domestic) inspections.

I leave the top layer of "egg crate" foam in the top/lid. I take out the middle and thinner bottom layer but leave the thinnest bottom most layer in the bottom. Rifles go in soft cases. I put a couple of layers of clothes (pants, shirts, light jackets, sweaters etc. in the bottom to take up the space. Rifles on top of that, laying in opposite directions with the bolt handles into the foam in the lid and scopes to the center of the case. Add knives and any high value kit up to the weight limit.

I always lay on top of the rifles, a copy of my/our passports, copies of 4457's for each rifle, copy of filled out but unsigned SAPS 520's (even if just transiting J'berg), filled out Namibian Temp Import worksheet, copies of complete r/t airline tickets and an extra set of locks keyed the same with a note asking they be used IF the original locks had to be cut off for some reason. Keep original docs with you. Have a couple of set of keys in different locations - pants and carry-on.

If two people are traveling together, put one rifle each into each case and half of each other's clothing. This way if one case gets delayed/lost for a few days, you'll still have one rifle each and enough kit to start your hunts while waiting for the rest to show up....hopefully. Do the same with your ammo. Pack half of each others ammo in each others checked luggage for the same reason.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just cut mine out and used as meant to be figure I didn’t want extra stuff in with rifle and prefect to have the tight fit of cut out. Namibia seemed to be really hard on the case it looked like it went through a war after the airport in Windhoek

Scott

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
And the bolt out of the rifle but can be in the same case?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, can have in same case. Not sure if its absolutely necessary to have bolt out of rifle but my PH recommended it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the question and answers. I'm flying from New Jersey to Colorado in November with a rifle.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Where have you all purchased locks keyed the same?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Walmart 4 pack of Masterlock

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same 4 pack Masterlock, ordered from Amazon. Make sure the shank is short. If too long could still partially open case. Ask me how I know.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Got my 4 Masterlocks, short shank. Is is necessary to take a second set?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I take an extra set in case they have to cut the locks for some reason. Put extra set inside with a note to please lock case with extra locks. My case only needs 2 locks. TSA wants a lock in every hole on the outside now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.