Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by prm
Thanks for sharing. Good insight.

Now, can they make a general purpose scope? Something like the 3-9 HD, but with capped windage, lower profile elevation dial, reticle good for dark woods and with some windage reference, all in the <15oz range.

You are welcome.

I am sure they can, but whether the market needs it or not is arguable. It is a very saturated marketspace. Were you lookign for a FFP or SFP design? If SFP, you really should be considering Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40. You can always add a Kenton elevation turret to it if you want to dial.

There are not that many ultralight scopes out there, so I am kinda happy to see SWFA make this one. I like tweener scopes and did an article on these many moons ago:

http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=79

What is available with scopes of this type has changed dramatically, so I should probably do a follow-up of sorts. At the moment, for rifles with kick, my tweener scope of choice is Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32. The new SWFA may very well become my go to option for really light weight applications where recoil is not an issue.

For example, I am teaching my six year old daughter to shoot and for her every little bit of extra weight counts. When she graduates from using iron sights, the ultralight SWFA will go on her rifle.

ILya

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
Leupolds without turrets hold up just fine.

Had they gone straight 6x and mil-quad they would have been onto something.

Oh how I wish that were true.
Agreed on the the 6x with mil-quad and mil adjustments - if they had proper eye relief.

Originally Posted by Pappy348
3.3" is marginal for safety with anything with even moderate recoil. 2.55" is hazardous, especially prone or at the bench. Get twocked in the eyebrow a time or two and you'll understand.

Exactly! Reminds me of the scopes Remington includes on their package rifles. Totally unusable eye relief at higher magnifications. Those scopes immediately get round filed, or used as a Carlos Hathcock vs NVA sniper target (i.e. try to shoot through the scope without touching the housing).

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
By next year, it'll be all the rage on the Barret Fieldcraft series, here on the ol' 'Fire.

But will it be in 6 Creedmoor by that time instead of the current fav 6.5?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by koshkin
If SFP, you really should be considering Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40. You can always add a Kenton elevation turret to it if you want to dial.

ILya

Except for incorrect and inconsistent tacking, and intermittent zero shifts.

I believe I, and those I shoot with are up to six (6) Vortex HD LH’s. None have worked correctly. A couple seemed fine out of the box, but within reletively limited rounds showed issues.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40...R.I.P.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
If SFP, you really should be considering Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40. You can always add a Kenton elevation turret to it if you want to dial.

ILya

I believe I, and those I shoot with are up to six (6) Vortex HD LH’s. None have worked correctly. A couple seemed fine out of the box, but within reletively limited rounds showed issues.

Not DOA, but definitely DOB “Dead Outta Box”...So much for Vortex owning the dial a dope scope market..Who’s next?
Form, is way better than “Consumer Reports” for us guys who want good schit. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Not DOA, but definitely DOB “Dead Outta Box”...So much for Vortex owning the dial a dope scope market..Who’s next?
Form, is way better than “Consumer Reports” for us guys who want good schit. 😎

Absolutely spot on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Amount this report surprises me:

0%

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

ILya

The 3-15x42 did not have those issues.
I'll check the 2-10x40, now that I am curious.
It is definitely staying zeroed, but I'll revisit the turrets.

ILya

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Form,

Are you going to wring-out one of the new Ultralights?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hope that with this ultra-light scope, SWFA is not going to blemish its reputation. There is no free lunch with scope weight, as is obvious by Leupold's failures. If this scope is durable, then it will gain a good rep. If not, the SWFA just hurt themselves with a Leupold clone.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Form,

Are you going to wring-out one of the new Ultralights?

I’m sure I’ll see one at some point, but a SFP, duplex reticled scope with .25moa adjustments doesn’t really fit into a use I or those I shoot with/hunt with have.

I think it’d be useful to see if it holds up, but not enough for me to buy one.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m on my 4th scope in less than a year on my 84M 338 Federal. Actually, I just put an old Burris FFII I had on it. I also have an SWFA 6x that is currently not in use. It’s just not a good fit for that rifle. But it does work. Would like something as I described above. Maybe an FX3 6x42 would survive on that rifle.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Wow, tough crowd here. Personally I have been quite impressed with my 6x mq and 3-15. This particular model does not excite me but I suspect it's the beginning of a few new models. Personally I would be quite happy with an illuminated 6x. Not many market holes in the overcrowded optics world but a reasonably light, reasonably priced 4 x 32 would be nice.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by rcarr
Wow, tough crowd here. Personally I have been quite impressed with my 6x mq and 3-15. This particular model does not excite me but I suspect it's the beginning of a few new models. Personally I would be quite happy with an illuminated 6x. Not many market holes in the overcrowded optics world but a reasonably light, reasonably priced 4 x 32 would be nice.

People barely buy 4x hunting scopes these days and I bet three quarters of the ones who do will never buy anything but a Leupold. Very little chance of recouping your investment if you introduce one.

ILya

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wonder how strong the market is for a scope that tears big gouges out of the shooter's forehead every time they touch off a round when it's mounted on a rifle with more than 10 ft lbs of recoil?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I guess you could drag a Caldwell Lead Sled afield and 50 lbs of lead shot with you...but then the light weight hunting scope with 2.5" of eye relief would be a moot point.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

ILya

Hey Form., Did they loose zero during firing,or only after twisting the turret?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I hope that with this ultra-light scope, SWFA is not going to blemish its reputation. There is no free lunch with scope weight, as is obvious by Leupold's failures. If this scope is durable, then it will gain a good rep. If not, the SWFA just hurt themselves with a Leupold clone.

It's already blemished,if by nothing except the specs on this scope.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I like the concept of the SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight & I especially like the small ocular bell diameter that allows low mounting on bolt action rifles w/ a high bolt lift. I have several rifles where I think this scope would work out extremely well except that I can't live with the extremely short eye relief.

Given the trade off between eye relief & field of view in scope design I do not understand why most scope makers sacrifice eye relief to gain maximum possible field of view & it's even more difficult to understand in a 2.5-10 variable where you can gain all the FOV one will ever need by backing the power down (47.2 ft @ 2.5x at 100 yds for this scope). In 50+ years of using rifle scopes a large FOV has always been well below having a minimum of 3.5" of eye relief in my list of priorities for choosing a rifle scope.

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,868
Posts18,517,974
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.