K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by koshkin
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I know a lot of people who hunt with ARs chambered for the likes of 6.8SPC, 6.5Grendel, 300Blackout, etc.

For those applications, anything with more than two inches of eye relief is plenty.

I suspect that this will be an excellent scope for that use.

Personally, I am partial to the 6.5Grendel and it seems to work just fine on pigs.

I probably would not put this scope on a safari gun, but there are plenty of other scopes out there for that.

ILya

I don't disagree,but I can't for the life of me figure out why you wouldn't just design it with a slightly larger ocular if needed and at least 3.5" eye relief. I really prefer 3.75"-4" because it increases options on where it will work. I just see no advantage to such short ER at the disadvantage of maybe one ounce more weight.

As a general disclaimer, I do not do product development with SWFA. I have a cordial relationship with them, so I often get to see prototypes before they are released, but that is largely it.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that they looked at the one part of the hunting market that is actually growing and tried to make a scope for that application. I suspect, that they were also trying to get the weight under 10 ounces, so every little bit of weight saving makes a difference. As has been pointed out earlier, there is only so much lightening you can do on the insides before you sacrifice durability, so I suspect the eyepiece was the next logical place to streamline things without sacrificing quality.

To be brutally honest, if I were them, I would probably do the same thing. People simply do not buy 32mm objective scopes for conventional big game hunting rifles any more. If you want to introduce a lightweight scope, you have to look outside of the 30-06 boltguns.

I have seen this before: what people say they would do and what they actually do are not the same thing.

If I were to run a poll here on how many people would buy a 12 ounce 2.5-10x32 scope with 4" of eye relief and then went on to build that scope based on positive feedback, I would go bankrupt.
The number of scopes I would sell would end up at best one tenth of the number of people who said they would buy it.

ILya

I agree, though I don't think that the people who said they would buy a scope then not buy it are being less than honest. If you say you can build the next Gold Standard scope (w/specs given) a lot of posters will say they would buy one to encourage the builder to move forward with the project.

It is not a matter of honesty. People say things that they believe when they say them. However, what they do when the time comes to make a purchasing decision, is frequently different. That is one of the reasons why large companies that rely exclusively on focus group feedback screw things up.

ILya

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Bears a startling resemblance to one of my favourite hunting scopes[Linked Image]

2.5-10x32 Sightron [Linked Image]

What caliber is that rifle chambered for?

ILya

It has had a couple of thousand rounds of 7/08 and nearly 800 260's
I never even noticed how short the eye relief
Was til I read this thread
Sure enough it is about 2.5 inches
I love the scope and as I said it has been a favourite for over 10 years

I set-up that same exact scope on a friend's sporterized Mosin and also never had issues with eye relief.

I will try SWFA's scope on one of those as well. I am not awash in lightweight bolt guns and I do not own a 30-06, so I can't do that test. I do have a light-ish Mosin, so I can use that as a platform. Wth all that, I really think this scope was intended primarily for hunting ARs and I will start with it on there before I try it on a boltgun. That is where this configuration makes the most sense, I think. Why people assumed that this scope was meant for ultra light 30-06s is not clear to me.

Do you mind if I ask how heavy that rifle is? A buddy of mine is a huge 7-08 fan. He's been trying to convince to get one for a while now.

ILya

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
2.5 inches of eye relief is a definite show stopper for me as well. As mentioned earlier in this thread, if a scope maker would duplicate Leupolds scope specs with rugged, reliable tracking, that would satisfy a large portion of hunting rifle scope buyers. I believe this, even if it added a few ounces and $100 to the price of the scope. Of course the ideal situation would be for Leupold to make these corrective changes to their scopes. If they did and it was verified that they tracked on the money, they would not have to worry about Vortex or any scope company getting into their market share. I just can't go with a top heavy 20+ ounce Hubble on my 7 pound and less rifles. I have a Blaser K95 that I use to hunt Roe deer. This year, I realized the need for a larger objective and illuminated reticle. After weeks of researching for a scope for that rifle that would not compromise it's great handling qualities, carried up and down the mountains, I came back to Leupold, a VXR 3x9x50. With that scope, the rifle weighs a quarter ounce under 7 pounds, only 2 ounces heavier than it did with the Ziess Conquest 3x9x40. Most of my hunting rifles have scopes with a 40mm Obj,, some smaller. Until SOMEBODY makes that scope that those have been describing in this and other threads, I will hunt with my current stock of Leupolds. RJ

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just add this to the list of strange SWFA moves...apparently meant to fill such a specialized niche that the product is useless for nearly everyone. For example, the SWFA 12x32 mil binoculars. So close, yet so far.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
For lots of folks, and especially in Texas, hunting for them is what I consider bench rest shooting. So they can probably get away with a little less eye-relief as shooting is very static for them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I still can't stand short eye relief when I'm benchresting off the windowsill of my blind.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mathman
I still can't stand short eye relief when I'm benchresting off the windowsill of my blind.

laugh

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
All this nagging and no one but koshkin has even touched or tried one yet. Unbelievable.

Mark my word: by this time next year, this very scope will be all the Campfire rage on Montanas and Fieldcrafts, for the hard-chargers of course. Only because it connects all the dots of lightweight, ruggedness, and a great view for hunting both glass and simple reticle.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
But how do you know it's reliable, has good glass, etc.? They had to do something to get it that light! grin

In theory, it would be great on my 84M in 338 FED, but I'm not going to lie, touching off the trigger with only 2.5" of relief might get sporty.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I can read the specs on a new ford ranger and know without touching or seeing in the flesh it's not what I need. Scopes are not any different.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A couple of members have called SWFA and verified the inadequate eye relief. You don't need to touch or try one to know that it won't work for you if you've ever been smacked in the brow by a scope with in-adequate eye relief. RJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I can read the specs on a new ford ranger and know without touching or seeing in the flesh it's not what I need. Scopes are not any different.

Yep like ffp scopes that have reticles that wash out on low power

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
All this nagging and no one but koshkin has even touched or tried one yet. Unbelievable.

Mark my word: by this time next year, this very scope will be all the Campfire rage on Montanas and Fieldcrafts, for the hard-chargers of course. Only because it connects all the dots of lightweight, ruggedness, and a great view for hunting both glass and simple reticle.

What’cha wanna bet?

Glass, tracking, toughness, reliable adjustments, etc..... don’t mean Jack Schitt.... if the scope eats your face every time you touch the gun off.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Think I will just stick with my Leupold and Redfield 2-7x32 set and forgot scopes. They hold zero just fine and have useable eye relief. The AR crowd can have this scope.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

What’cha wanna bet?

Glass, tracking, toughness, reliable adjustments, etc..... don’t mean Jack Schitt.... if the scope eats your face every time you touch the gun off.

I've been shooting a 6.5 pound 30-06 since 1994, and I've never come close to getting bit. If one knows how to properly mount a scope for their mounting position, then it's not a problem.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I suspect you don't have a scope with 2.5" of eye relief on your 6.5 lb 30-06, either.

The "properly mounting a scope" excuse is as silly as the "I never feel recoil in the field" saying. I.e., you can't overcome physics.

Things happen. You might have to shoot from a cramped position, or severely uphill, or from your opposite shoulder where you're not comfortable. You get scoped. A comfortable amount of eye relief is cheap insurance to minimize those instances.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 07/03/18.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bears a startling resemblance to one of my favourite hunting scopes[Linked Image]

2.5-10x32 Sightron [Linked Image]

What caliber is that rifle chambered for?

ILya

It has had a couple of thousand rounds of 7/08 and nearly 800 260's
I never even noticed how short the eye relief
Was til I read this thread
Sure enough it is about 2.5 inches
I love the scope and as I said it has been a favourite for over 10 years

I set-up that same exact scope on a friend's sporterized Mosin and also never had issues with eye relief.

I will try SWFA's scope on one of those as well. I am not awash in lightweight bolt guns and I do not own a 30-06, so I can't do that test. I do have a light-ish Mosin, so I can use that as a platform. Wth all that, I really think this scope was intended primarily for hunting ARs and I will start with it on there before I try it on a boltgun. That is where this configuration makes the most sense, I think. Why people assumed that this scope was meant for ultra light 30-06s is not clear to me.

Do you mind if I ask how heavy that rifle is? A buddy of mine is a huge 7-08 fan. He's been trying to convince to get one for a while now.

ILya

I'm not sure as I never weighed it , but it is definitely a
Lightweight, the stock is hollowed out and slimmed down as much as is possible and it has a 22 inch shillen no2 on it

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I really think this scope was intended primarily for hunting ARs and I will start with it on there before I try it on a boltgun. That is where this configuration makes the most sense, I think. Why people assumed that this scope was meant for ultra light 30-06s is not clear to me.

ILya

Where I do most my hunting the AR is not the hunting rifle of choice. A 9.5 ounce scope appeals to the guy looking to save weight because he spends more time carrying his rifle than shooting in rugged terrain. I'd like the objective lens to be around a 40mm on a 10X scope, but I'd give this scope a shot if it had better eye relief on my elk rifle as it would get me under 7 lbs affordably.

You're probably right as it will perform well on an AR-15 rifle. However, I don't think it's a scope most people who are heavy into AR's will like. Most of those shooters will want BDC or Mil reticle and exposed turrets from my experience.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've been wondering who the target market is for these as well.

I briefly thought it'd be nice on the slick little 22-250 1-8 Ruger I got from Whittakers but the single aiming point Mmmm, Naaa.

Another Weaver 2-10 Tactical Grand Slam, dials , dots, eye relief, $100 less, I'll carry the weight.

I guess I'm not the target market....

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah I'm not really seeing the appeal on an AR, either. If I'm scoping a carbine/cool guy setup, it's nice to have 1x magnification as an option on the low end, and illumination is handy, plus a mil/mil setup is never a bad choice. If scoping a varmint AR, this isn't the right scope. If just wanting a cheap basic scope with no turrets or BDC for a truck gun that might get stolen, a Burris or whatever that can be purchased 100 dollars cheaper would probably work just as well. No need for a small eyepiece on an AR, as the optic sits pretty high and there's no need for bolt handle clearance (and what's the small eyepiece going to save, 1 ounce maybe?). It might be fine on a 22 LR that won't get dialed, but otherwise I just don't see the appeal with the short eye relief.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,904
Posts18,479,364
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.