Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
I wonder how far below the surface they are for drilling ?, seems like they would be popping a hole thru by now instead of thinking about a solution still.

They would have to take in account the stability of the cave. The Chilean miners were in a hard rock mine, likely this cave is in limestone or some much softer rock.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
They’re like three kilometers from the entrance. Many kudos to the divers who entered those murky, moving waters to find ‘em.

"The group was found about three miles from the cave entrance."
There is also the question of pressure. If the pressure inside is too high, due to the rising water pressure, the boys and coach will have to go through decompression after being removed one at a time buddy system with a professional diver.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Has anyone heard how large a space they are in. I havent heard anything about suffocation risks.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder how far below the surface they are for drilling ?, seems like they would be popping a hole thru by now instead of thinking about a solution still.

"....Of the evacuation options, drilling to reach the boys is the least viable, as getting the necessary drilling equipment to the mountain atop the cave would be daunting and the process time-consuming. Despite more than a week of searching, no other entry to the cave has been found....."

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree

They would have to take in account the stability of the cave. The Chilean miners were in a hard rock mine, likely this cave is in limestone or some much softer rock.

Looks like very rugged terrain for setting up mining equipment, my son works in the drilling division for Halliburton and the technology is crazy...they can go sideways and thread needles with those things.

Seems like popping the balloon with a hole, might allow the water level to rise where the boys are too....they'll need oxygen soon tho.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't read how far below the surface they are. If it's fairly shallow, cracks could allow air to get in.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From what I've read, they are in limestone caverns which will fill with water as the water table rises. Pressure should also be going up, as water compresses the air. I suspect they will use the scuba option and tandem dives with professional drivers. It is the only open option at this time besides waiting out the rains.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I haven't read how far below the surface they are. If it's fairly shallow, cracks could allow air to get in.

Actually it would let air out, allowing water to rise faster.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory
From what I've read, they are in limestone caverns which will fill with water as the water table rises. Pressure should also be going up, as water compresses the air. I suspect they will use the scuba option and tandem dives with professional drivers. It is the only open option at this time besides waiting out the rains.

Agreed, that's what I was saying about popping the balloon...if the air is being compressed with water volume, drilling a hole may fill the air void with water,,,thus eliminating the pocket the boys are surviving in.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
There isn't going to be any air compression.

This is a typical sinkhole cave.

There is a continuous supply of air falling through the cave, which is why no one is freaking out.

As the air cools, through day/night cycles if nothing else, it will be pulled down into the sinkholes above the cavers, and as it further cools inside the cave, it will move lower, displacing other air in the cave.

Other, warmer air will rise at the same time. Basically a "live" or "active" cave, such as this one, is breathing.

It's not unusual to feel a slight breeze while inside a cave, which is a good sign that there's lots more cave ahead of you.

And, you can find a cave by feeling the cold air running downhill from it, even though you can't see it at that moment.

The need for decompression will depend solely on the depth of the water, not the circumstance that it is in a cave, or its height ASL. Exactly the same as open water diving.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory

Agreed, that's what I was saying about popping the balloon...if the air is being compressed with water volume, drilling a hole may fill the air void with water,,,thus eliminating the pocket the boys are surviving in.

They were found @3ml from the entrance, however the caves are not level, and vary in reports from 6-7 miles in length. There might be a higher chamber where they could drill while being above the flood level, but drilling is really thier last choice due to the difficulty and time.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fubarski
There isn't going to be any air compression.

This is a typical sinkhole cave.

There is a continuous supply of air falling through the cave, which is why no one is freaking out.

As the air cools, through day/night cycles if nothing else, it will be pulled down into the sinkholes above the cavers, and as it further cools inside the cave, it will move lower, displacing other air in the cave.

Other, warmer air will rise at the same time. Basically a "live" or "active" cave, such as this one, is breathing.

It's not unusual to feel a slight breeze while inside a cave, which is a good sign that there's lots more cave ahead of you.

And, you can find a cave by feeling the cold air running downhill from it, even though you can't see it at that moment.

The need for decompression will depend solely on the depth of the water, not the circumstance that it is in a cave, or its height ASL. Exactly the same as open water diving.

Not according to the Doc in charge:
" He said each rescue diver would take one child and would almost certainly use a harness to keep a grip on the child, whose regulator, a breathing device, would most likely be attached to the tank worn by the rescue diver.

One serious concern is the possibility that the boys could be at risk for decompression sickness, or the bends, if the air they have been breathing in the cave has been under pressure from the rising water.

In that case, the best solution, Dr. Lavonas said, “would be to bring a portable hyperbaric chamber to the mountainside by helicopter, or to place the children on oxygen and move them quickly to a hyperbaric chamber.”

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This ^^^

When they're sayin the largest risk is the bends, I'd say the air is being compressed by water...expecting rain the next 10 days.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The air ain't bein compressed.

The doctor, like you, don't know much about caves.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
This appears to be a pretty popular and developed cave.

https://www.thousandwonders.net/Tham+Khao+Luang+Cave

Wouldn't be that popular unless there was plenty of air flowin through it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lol, I'm going by the experts on site...maybe you should head over to tell them what's up.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
lol, I'm going by the experts on site...maybe you should head over to tell them what's up.

No, a dumbass liberal like you is goin by propaganda got throwed inta your head, rather than usin common sense, as usual.

The same propaganda piece says that more rescuers are joinin the kids up in the cave.

Would they be doin that if the air supply was a problem?

Hard to tell which is trapped deeper, them kids or an intelligent thought in your head.

It's telling that they's tryin to rescue the kids.

Thought in your head been left for dead a long time ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That would depend on their elevation. Inside the cave the very well could be above the water level. I kind of go with that rather than air pressure holding the water back.

Last edited by Armednfree; 07/04/18.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, all of that because I read the provided link ?...fill a bath tub and invert an empty glass in it, maybe you'll learn something douchenozzle.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 204guy, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,573
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.