Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by VoiceMan
A bad week in the woods is better than the very best days at work. 😛

Yep. I was thinking of turning in my tag this year because I might not be up to hunting like I want to, due to a surgery I'm still recovering from.

Then I came to my senses and said **** that. If nothing else I'll get in some good fishing on small streams, and hear some bugles at night by the campfire, tumbler in hand...

I'm the same Smoke.I had my right shoulder replaced in December, 6 months out now and it still isn't close to 100%,but I'm going hunting.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Then I came to my senses and said **** that. If nothing else I'll get in some good fishing on small streams, and hear some bugles at night by the campfire, tumbler in hand...

Which would still be a great week by any standard!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Yep. I was thinking of turning in my tag this year because I might not be up to hunting like I want to, due to a surgery I'm still recovering from.

I'm the same Smoke.I had my right shoulder replaced in December, 6 months out now and it still isn't close to 100%,but I'm going hunting.

I'm gonna start calling you "Timex," because you're still ticking. God knows, you've taken some lickings. Thing is I have no doubt you'll get your elk this year. Some guys have all the luck.

PS for the OP, there's nothing like elk hunting in the Rockies.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
[quote=WAMWe bust it on every hunt like it might be our last since both of us are in our 60’s. Happy Trails

No reason to quit.I'll be 75 this August and I'm still hunting. I drew a ML cow tag for this September[/quote]

Right!
As long as I'm able to get there and throw a log on the fire and pour a wee dram at night, I'll be there. I watched an elk camp we were by for years in WA dwindle from about 12 down to 3. I think the last year they were there the youngest feller was pushing 80. Quitting is not an option for us old Rangers. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Whitetail hunting and elk hunting are at opposite ends of hunting types

Depends where you're whitetail hunting...I've had a lot of perfectly good whitetail hunts ruined by bumping into elk and killing one while hunting in Montana.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
There are no Elk here in Idaho,
Only potatoes :))

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MRKbass
There are no Elk here in Idaho,
Only potatoes :))

What gun you using for 'taters? Salad shooter? wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I can’t believe these whole animals I am seeing !
That’s such good fortune for those hunters.
Haven’t had one whole one in about 19 years
Great job

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Spud gun
Google it
Good ole hillbilly fun for sure

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spud gun
Google it
Good ole hillbilly fun for sure

Don't need to. Made "em, along with tennis ball cannon, hand ball guns, and egg launchers. smile

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can’t believe these whole animals I am seeing !
That’s such good fortune for those hunters.
Haven’t had one whole one in about 19 years
Great job

I’m o-fer on whole bulls. Dad, brother, nephew.
But not me.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I say go for it. Every elk hunt you learn something. Much harder physically than deer hunting but since they are so big, travel in groups and leave a ton of sign the elk hunt for a good deer hunter is doable. The secret is you have to be where the elk are. Hunt hard all day and you will eventually catch up to some.

Last edited by champlain_islander; 07/08/18.

living the good life every day
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Chris,

Glad you've picked a unit and have decided to go.

Not sure which season you're going, but I will guaran-dam-tee that if they're bugling still during your hunt it'll get in your bones. Deep in your bones. You'll want to go every year, family, work, bills, notwithstanding. When late summer/fall starts to roll in, you'll start wondering why you passed up applying for that hunt. You'll promise to never do that, even if the wife wants to leave you. Or work wants to fire you.

I regret not having put in for tags this year due to some medical issues. I've at least got two deer tags this year to use, one in an area where I can almost be assured of seeing elk.

Good luck on your hunt. Eat well, hydrate, and try to sleep some and enjoy the woods. They're gonna be WAY different than back home.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
ChrisAU Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Welp found out this morning that currently most of southern San Juan NF is under fire restrictions, no shooting, no campfires, etc. Not sure how long the restrictions will last. To get out of the fire restrictions I'd need to go a couple more hours north, or actually shave an hour or two off and go further East but those units have poor reviews across the board.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's not uncommon that fire restrictions disappear by the end of August, once "monsoon season" kicks in.

ChrisAU Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'll keep it as primary but also prepare a solid plan B not currently under fire restriction.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's always good to have more than one spot you're familiar with anyway. On any given year, a particular spot might be crowded with hunters who just decided to try a new spot that year. And then next year, back to normal.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I killed a big 5x5 one year in an area that had just been declared clear from a fire. He had black ash all over his horns from raking burned trees.
My brother killed a spike the same day. The bull was lying in a big pile of black ash. I heard later that ash keeps the ticks down.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Originally Posted by prm
Oh hell yes. Just camping for week during the Fall in the Rockies is a great experience.

Decide whether you want to hike into a camp site or camp at the truck, and then go buy gear accordingly.

Get GoHunt and research a unit to go to. Call the local wildlife officer to confirm a couple places to park. Use OnX Maps to ensure you know any public/private boundaries and to help identify specific spots to hunt. Buy good boots and wear them a lot before hand.

Even if you just toss stuff in the truck, park along a national forest with your camp at the truck and then spend your days hiking out a couple miles you’ll have a great time, learn a lot, and really be able to refine your effort for the following year(s).

What is GoHunt?

And yeah, me and my buddies are late 20's, initial plan anyway is to park and then pack in a ways and camp 3-5 miles from the truck. Have no idea on what unit yet but I do want to do a national forest.

Do any of your buddies have any experience elk hunting or packing an elk out???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
As an easterner who walked up on a raghorn 5x5 bull, all I can say is they are BIG. Based on the average Alabama whitetail size, that's about the back leg of an elk in weight.

They are MONSTERS when you first walk up on one. be ready to know how to deal with that! It ain't coming out like an eastern whitetail. Mine, I was lucky enough in Idaho to drop it 20 yards from where we could get the truck, it still to two of us, an ATV and a winch to get it into the trailer.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Typically, the first time you shoot an elk, you'll walk up on it and think, "damn I just shot a horse, now how am I going to get this damn thing back to the truck or camp!!!!!!!"... Be prepared for that, is all I can say...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.