Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
The badger's been smokin too much pot or something. Why on Earth would that thing take on something with that kind of head gear?

Maybe the little guy wanted to learn how to fly.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Thegman
Well, hell, looking further, maybe it is real. Damn, I need to do something better with my time...

The pics came from Foxnews. If they're fake, they fooled them, too. OTOH, those might be shadows in the dust.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
[quote=StoneCutter]

In fact, this is why baby cheetahs have a color pattern matching a honey badger, i.e., to steal the benefit that species has earned with its ferocity in the face of death, i.e., when large predators see cheetah cubs from a distance away, they will believe they are seeing some honey badgers, and will take a different route to their destination so as to give them a wide berth, thus reinforcing the color pattern in juvenile cheetahs (i.e., those cheetahs that don't produce offspring with that color pattern will have a greater degree of trouble raising offspring to adulthood, and will be less able to pass that survival disadvantage to the next generation).

I don't know if that's actually true or not. I know an evolutionary article was written years ago regarding a similarity, but with around a 90% mortality, it doesn't appear to do much and most predators readily kill them if they find them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by M1Garand

I don't know if that's actually true or not. I know an evolutionary article was written years ago regarding a similarity, but with around a 90% mortality, it doesn't appear to do much and most predators readily kill them if they find them.

To have a survival advantage, it only needs to save a small percentage of them, not all or even most.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by satx78247
Seven_Heaven,

Tell your friend that I have a 9.3x62mm Remington pump-rifle & the ability to deal with his "eland problem". = 286 grains of .366 JSP at 2400FPS will take a Cape Buff quite handily & solve rogue Elephant problems, too.

yours, tex

Couple years back I helped a friend get his dream rifle by dropping not so subtle hints to his wife for over a year and playfully raising it up now and then and finally I found him, a great deal.. It was a 270 ( shut up) Rem in a stainless \walnut Weatherby Vanguard to use in lieu of his or his grandfathers 243 ( that I redid for him). He is a half a box a year guy but I chipped in for a scope that I mounted and helped him with a load and settled on 150's. Good thing and after reading this you might think he owes me! So outside of Glen Rose, next to a high dollar game ranch on one side and a huge high fence private ranch on the other is what is now our lease. First year hunting with the Weatherby he was leaving his stand and upon shutting his door noticed something big moving. His game camera showed nearly all activity had ceased for about a week and this was why. Turns out a huge trophy Eland was walking past. He fired a neck shot and it took off. To his credit he found an opening where he thought it would reappear and fired a second round that dropped it. Night approached and he was alone and out of cell service. He tried to turn it over but feared it would roll and pin him. This guy is a rancher used to big critters. I got a pic of him carrying it off in his John Deere(..coulda been his Kubota) but it hung out both sides of the bucket and handily outweighed his largest heiffer. Didn't have to leave the county let alone country- or pay for an exotic hunt.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
A couple of people in this thread mentioned oryx in the context of American predators (mountain lion and coyote). Aren't oryx African animals? What are they doing in North America with mountain lions and coyotes?

I took this picture in 2017 inside a high fence in South Texas when I was there for a pig hunt. It's a magnificent animal. About the size of a horse.

[Linked Image]

Amazimg animals.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Depending on the area they are called Oryx, Gemsbok, or Gemsbuck. I shot one in So, Africa and it was called a Gembok. I grew in in Alamogordo and we called the Oryx. Very attractive animal IMO.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

To have a survival advantage, it only needs to save a small percentage of them, not all or even most.

While that is true, similarity doesn't always mean mimicry. If you can find that article it's interesting but IIRC, states it's a possible case. Sure it's possible, but I don't think it can be said for sure.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

Depending on the area they are called Oryx, Gemsbok, or Gemsbuck. I shot one in So, Africa and it was called a Gembok. I grew in in Alamogordo and we called the Oryx. Very attractive animal IMO.

I got to Elk hunt with our old friend EddyBo from her at the 'Fire one year across the road from White Sands, he as well as the local guide Wayne said, "If you see one of those, SHOOT IT" they're highly unpredictable and a horse cant outrun one either if they want to swarm you.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bull gemsbok is about 75% the size of a big bull elk. They are not even close to horse size. However at a distance I can see how they might apppear that big because of their body shape.

I’ve had honey badges lick the blood off the tires of a land cruiser and when the blood taste runs out they chew through the tire looking for more. I personally watched one go around as a cruiser drive away several times before letting go of the tire. Then shook it off and trotted away. I’ve watched them stack rocks along a wall to climb up high enough to get over the wall.

They have the ability to work out problems with logic unlike most animals. They have unmatched determination and fear no living thing on earth. Another professional hunter told me of a honey badger clinging to the end of an elephants trunk holding on and preventing that cow from moving must be like a nose ring in a bull.

Never EVER underestimate a honey badgers will, determination, or aggression.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The PH's and landowner I hunted with in Namibia told me the same thing of the tenacity of a honey badger. They are amazing animals. Then again, Africa is full of amazing animals!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
African wolverines is what they remind me of

οΏ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.οΏ½ οΏ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

I believe they are all Oryx but the larger sub-specie is the Gemsbok. There are a number of different varieties of Oryx on the planet.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

While that is true, similarity doesn't always mean mimicry. If you can find that article it's interesting but IIRC, states it's a possible case. Sure it's possible, but I don't think it can be said for sure.

You're right, it can't be said for sure. It's certainly plausible, but it's a largely untestable hypothesis, as most, if not all stories of mimicry are.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I personally think the American badger is the meanest in the land- only because honey badgers aren't found here and in the morning I have a badger to remove from its hole in the lawn. I do not relish the thought as my last experience with a badger was a surprise at only a couple of feet. I have a healthy respect for them and dearly hope it leaves but this animal re-opened the hole after I covered it a few days ago. It will be Caddyshack time in the morning.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
African wolverines is what they remind me of

Yes, they are very similar, and seem to have adopted a similar path in terms of survival strategy. They are not closely related, though, as wolverines are large weasels, while honey badgers aren't in the weasel family.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Different oryx but, I know one of the scimitar horn Oryx killed one of the bull Red Deer/elk hybrids up on cousins game ranch. Broke off a horn.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Thegman

You're right, it can't be said for sure. It's certainly plausible, but it's a largely untestable hypothesis, as most, if not all stories of mimicry are.

In the larger animals anyway. Some are more obvious than others, particularly in insects.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (6MMWASP, 7mm_Loco, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 9 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,900
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.