-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big difference between running a blade on a weedeater and a brush cutter. Weedeaters don't have the hp to run the blade, brush cutters do.

You're not going to have anything like oak to cut, both in size and being a real hardwood.

GB1

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well I'll admit I didn't look that closely but for the use of what we need the blade for its been fine.

I'll have to scroll on back up and Google fu. Did not even realize they made a specific one. I know the last time we had one down here it was on the biggest Stihl gas weedeater made at that time. Which is again what we have here at TX home. but no blade for it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
get yourself a 5.5 to 6.5 cube saw and rock out don't worry about bar length

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If a 291 fits into your life at all; a 261 CM will run circles around it while weighing considerably less. Catch one of the frequent dealer day sales and it won't cost much more. If you've a mind to, opening up the muffler will seriously wake it up as well. They are specced out with different chains in different countries, here the standard is a .325 23 RS. Mine cuts faster with a 63RS 3/8" Picco chain and bar in the spruce, pine, birch and poplar we cut.

For a bigger saw, consider the 441 CM.

I could be way off on this one; I'm still trying to wrap my brain around 24" trees that take 5 hours and 1 1/2 gallons of gas to cut up.

Last edited by Model70Guy; 07/01/18.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
If a 291 fits into your life at all; a 261 CM will run circles around it while weighing considerably less. Catch one of the frequent dealer day sales and it won't cost much more. If you've a mind to, opening up the muffler will seriously wake it up as well. They are specced out with different chains in different countries, here the standard is a .325 23 RS. Mine cuts faster with a 63RS 3/8" Picco chain and bar in the spruce, pine, birch and poplar we cut.

I could be way off on this one; I'm still trying to wrap my brain around 24" trees that take 5 hours and 1 1/2 gallons of gas to cut up.

Not all 24" trees are the same size... Nor do they all come from the same kind of wood...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Not all 24" trees are the same size... Nor do they all come from the same kind of wood...

I do get that.

On the other hand, a perverse part of me remembers an old joke about a couple Texans.

A rancher was telling an old cowboy that he could jump into his truck at the house and drive half a day in any direction and still be on his own land.

The old puncher gave sad sigh; and said "Yep, I had a truck like that once too.........................." wink

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I do get that.

On the other hand, a perverse part of me remembers an old joke about a couple Texans.

A rancher was telling an old cowboy that he could jump into his truck at the house and drive half a day in any direction and still be on his own land.

The old puncher gave sad sigh; and said "Yep, I had a truck like that once too.........................." wink

Point accepted.

Laughing!

My son and I just chipped limbs and tops from a bunch of trees he cut out of his yard. We did a couple dump loads of chips... it always amazes me seeing what they will eat without a hiccup. No substitute for power.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm kinda partial to the Husqvarna 555 XP running an 20" bar for both felling and blocking, and the Stihl MS 200 for limbing, especially if I'm climbing (that little saw will rip it up.!). Probably won't be doing much climbing here though.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Far too often I've seen and heard a name brand saw make a bunch of noise and very little progress. If you can't properly sharpen a chain and swap it out when it gets dull, hp won't help you. There's nothing that makes you shake your head in disbelief then hearing the engine making a long drawn out wahhhh sound as fine sawdust and smoke slowly makes it's way out from under the bar and that sound continues on long after the cut should have been finished.

Conversely my little 30cc echo with a 10" bar has effectively cut wood that such a little saw has no business in.

[Linked Image]

There's much to be said for being an ardent advocate for sharp chains matter.

That little Echo is sweet!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If a 291 fits into your life at all; a 261 CM will run circles around it while weighing considerably less.

A BIG +1.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Went out and weighed mine for [bleep] and giggles... Stihl 440, wrap handle, 25" bar, got some chips and saw dust on it, 20.6 lbs. 32" bar, add a little weight..
Quick peek online, I see 2.3 lbs difference between the 291 and the 441, newer version of my saw.
For tackling bigger trees with more bar, little more power wouldn't be all bad. Less bog, more cut..
Couple spare sharp chains..

Last edited by Muttly; 07/07/18.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

53 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.