L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by SandBilly
#10 is not for me..

#10 is just wrong.

It's for the selfish and the lazy. Cut your hedges and mix your soup by hand. Simple, cheap, hand tools can do both
No excuse not to OWN THEM. Don't sponge off your neighbors.

#10 reminds me of advising people to cut expenses on travel by cheating wait staff out of their tips.

That's also WRONG.

I think a better approach to #10 is to rent before you buy. I've done it with a lot of power equipment, from gas powered hand equipment (pressure washers, hedge trimmers, etc, to bulldozers and excavator). First it gives me an inkling of whether the job I want to do is capable of being done by a certain piece of equipment. Second, it gives me a good idea of the type of things to look for, or avoid, if I decide to buy a piece of equipment. I never borrow, or loan tools or equipment. I will, however, use my equipment to help someone - but I always operate it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Where I live, almost everyone is a rich liberal, but only half have grandkids.

There is painful grandkid envy around here.

I think a lot of daughters could get a $2M contract to have a baby.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Where I live, almost everyone is a rich liberal, but only half have grandkids.

There is painful grandkid envy around here.

I think a lot of daughters could get a $2M contract to have a baby.

What kind of stud fee for having to slum a rich liberal.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Uhh....the secret to saving money is to not spend so much money,

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Another good idea is to have your customers pay part of your workers' wages.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
OrangeOkie: Heres how I became wealthy!
#1: Made good decisions.
#2: Worked more.
#3: Spent less.
#4: Enjoy the out of doors (Hunt/fish/hike/camp) its way less expensive than many other pastimes/hobbies/vacations.
Easy peasy.
Personally I can't stand to listen to dave ramsey on the radio - my decisions and status were made long before dave ramsey came along.
I am happy for him that he became wealthy but again a little of dave ramsey goes a long way in boring me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dutch
In my opinion, the whole thing turns on being intentional in working towards your goals. Mine are to work at something that is meaningful and I enjoy, make enough money to not have to worry about money, be kind and generous to those close to me, and try my best to treat everyone with respect.

I really don't have material goals anymore. A newer truck, nicer recliner, better scope or fancy gun does nothing to make me happier. Neither does eating at the latest "in" restaurant, or traveling to exotic destinations. Being in the field or woods does. Going to see my daughter graduate with her masters degree is important enough to endure a 10 hr plane ride -- no small sacrifice at 6'5", but they sell extra leg room, fortunately.

It all starts with being intentional, in control -- with work, money, and expenditures -- and people.

Spot on.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Dutch
In my opinion, the whole thing turns on being intentional in working towards your goals. Mine are to work at something that is meaningful and I enjoy, make enough money to not have to worry about money, be kind and generous to those close to me, and try my best to treat everyone with respect.

I really don't have material goals anymore. A newer truck, nicer recliner, better scope or fancy gun does nothing to make me happier. Neither does eating at the latest "in" restaurant, or traveling to exotic destinations. Being in the field or woods does. Going to see my daughter graduate with her masters degree is important enough to endure a 10 hr plane ride -- no small sacrifice at 6'5", but they sell extra leg room, fortunately.

It all starts with being intentional, in control -- with work, money, and expenditures -- and people.

Spot on.

Lmao. Not materialistic? Lmfao..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
He who dies with the most money in the bank loses. Live life, have fun, eat good food and travel. Too many cheapskates live miserly lives of boredom, always afraid that they spent $2.00 too much on something they didn’t need anyway.

I have no idea how much time I have left on this mortal coil and I’ll be damned if I have to ask my neighbor to borrow a blender, mower, weed eater or di.ldo.

We do fine and I know we could save more money but I don’t GAF. I prefer to make memories with friends and family, love deeply, laugh often and not worry about saving money by stiffing a waitress on a meal.

I know people putting as much money away as they can to help their adult kids. I might by them a dinner or two or couple tires for their car but I didn't bust my ass to give it away. My kids had a great childhood, better than mine and wanted for nothing. I'm getting to where some things are getting harder for me to do physically so I'm glad I blew a bunch of money hunting, camping, dirt bike racing and showing my kids a lot of neat things in this world. My kids know there won't be a lot of money coming their way when I croak but I like to think they got more out of me than money. My wife will be well taken care of so I got no worries or regrets. In a perfect world I would run out of heartbeats and money at the same time.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The best way is, don’t spend any!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
OrangeOkie: Heres how I became wealthy!
#1: Made good decisions.
#2: Worked more.
#3: Spent less.
#4: Enjoy the out of doors (Hunt/fish/hike/camp) its way less expensive than many other pastimes/hobbies/vacations.
Easy peasy.
Personally I can't stand to listen to dave ramsey on the radio - my decisions and status were made long before dave ramsey came along.
I am happy for him that he became wealthy but again a little of dave ramsey goes a long way in boring me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Dave Ramsey is not for everyone, for sure. But he sure helped me become debt-free. When the student is ready, the teacher will come.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My depression era raised grandparents got me on the right track before I ever heard of Dave Ramsey. Gram & Pops your advice and example have served me well in this life so thank you.

Got a copy of richest Man in Babylon at around age 21

Also married a very good woman. When we first met (she was my first hire ) I convinced her to save 30% of her paycheck

Told her we were in the salt mine biz, not the gold mine biz. We’d have to salt some away if we were gonna have a decent economic future

So far so good. I’ve been extremely lucky to have the folks I have in my life

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've learned a few things about personal finance through mostly trial and error. The successful people I am acquainted with share several similarities.

1) Good health. (Sometimes you have control of this; sometimes not.)

2) Ethical, honest living. (No extra marital affairs, illegitimate children, lawsuits, drug abuse, etc.)

3) Strong work ethic.

4) A good spouse who shares their values.

5) A giving spirit.

6) They don't give a crap about what others think about what they wear, drive, live in, etc.

Last edited by gregintenn; 07/09/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It took me awhile to fully embrace being smart with my money. Having a child is what forced the issue. Scraping by with big time credit debts and two car payments isn't sustainable, so I was just treading water then had to find room for day care bills. I sold enough and got on budget to handle that first $700/month bill, now comes number two, but guess what? Paying off my debts has freed up an additional $1300/month now, so there's probably even room in the budget for a third kid. Yes the $6,000 it will cost to have the kid will hurt and it will take time to rebuild those savings but if we hadn't gotten out of debt, I might never have been able to own either of these kids and I certainly wouldn't have been able to pay the hospital bills and monthly day care.
Having a kid forced me to grow up with my money. We don't make a lot in comparison to some, but being smart with it and getting on the same page has allowed us to take control of our finances. It does mean delaying some pleasures like expensive vacations and bigger toys like boats, campers and newer trucks. At the end of each month, we'd ask where our money went before learning to budget and using an app that we were both willing to put our inputs into (EveryDollar). We also had separate bank accounts, and forcing the sharing of our finances also forces us to talk about expenditures, planned or otherwise. It also forced us to talk about saving and investing.
Dave Ramsey's plan works, but only if you are willing to do your part. There is no refinancing or consolidating your way out of debt. Being unintentional with your money is an easy way to rack up debts that will take you forever to pay off. At one point my parents espoused the "use a credit card to build credit" idea. We all know better now. I have not cut up my credit card yet, but it's paid for, which I never thought would be possible through a long stretch of my life. The relief and freedom that smart budgeting and debt freedom has brought to us is hard to put into words, but there was a crushing weight and dread and embarrassment that it contributed to our household. Good riddance!

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I've learned a few things about personal finance through mostly trial and error. The successful people I am acquainted with share several similarities.

2) Ethical, honest living. (No extra marital affairs, illegitimate children, lawsuits, drug abuse, etc.)

3) Strong work ethic.

5) A giving spirit.

6) They don't give a crap about what others think about what they wear, drive, live in, etc.

Very good advice. I did all that, except I feel you have to modify #6 if you interact with customers (sales) or when you're applying for a job. As for #1, there are no guarantees you can do this but you can sure bias it in your favor.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by gregintenn

3) Strong work ethic.

5) A giving spirit.

Very good advice. I did all that, except I feel you have to modify #6 if you interact with customers (sales) or when you're applying for a job. As for #1, there are no guarantees you can do this but you can sure bias it in your favor.

There is a difference between looking presentable and buying just for the name brand and latest fashion. I've yet to buy anything from a guy because he wore a Rolex watch for example.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't spend it!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Does this mean I can't buy the new Schnee's Beartooth II boots I need for elk hunting..?

hunt in your socks... quieter..
smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If your outgo exceeds your income, then your upkeep will be your downfall.

An old saying from my grandfather.^^^^^

All one has to do to save money is to spend less than he makes. It ain't hard.

Just about every broke person I know would still be broke if they saw a sudden 500% increase in their income. They'd just have more garbage and crap scattered about their yard and house.

Last edited by gregintenn; 07/10/18.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Good one Gregintenn. Many here are saying dont spend , or save more. True but you need to know how to invest . There is no building of wealth having it in the bank unless you make an awful lot of money.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.