Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prm
How does the NX8 fit on a short action CF rifle? Would it work with Talley lightweights or is a rail/rings required to position correctly?
I’m always open to different ideas and for a lightweight rifle I tend to use in bad weather and dark timber, whether it be in the Rockies or eastern whitetail woods, and I don’t seem to shoot that far, this could be an interesting combination.

I'll try to take a picture of it mounted in the next couple of days and post it. Will be late tonight at the earliest..... I've got it on a ring/rail setup but hopefully you can at least see the fore/aft positioning.

Originally Posted by MadMooner
Have wanted to try a nxs 2.5-10x24 for a while. This NX8 looks like a slightly smaller version. That Fc reticle looks nice as well.

I've only spent time with the IHR, Forceplex, and FC reticles, but for close in, thick background, or low light shooting I prefer the FC reticle. Forceplex isn't bad but a little more thickness could go a long way. If hunting more open areas and longer ranges the thinner reticles come into their own.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prm
How does the NX8 fit on a short action CF rifle? Would it work with Talley lightweights or is a rail/rings required to position correctly?
I’m always open to different ideas and for a lightweight rifle I tend to use in bad weather and dark timber, whether it be in the Rockies or eastern whitetail woods, and I don’t seem to shoot that far, this could be an interesting combination.

This is a M7 action, Talley rail, Seekins low rings. A fair amount of wiggle room and it would work on this action with TLW's.

[Linked Image]

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, doesn’t look bad. Keep us up to date on how it works as a hunting setup.

Edit: ill bet that’s a really durable setup.

Last edited by prm; 07/25/18.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks solid, but dang it sets up high. You guys using Talley one piece bases must be happy with a chin weld instead of a cheek weld. wink

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
lol....it is higher than the DNZ mount that was on it previously, but I think it actually fits me better off hand. I noticed the same on several other rifles that I've switched over as well. Guess I just have a fat face....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 2-16x44 would be awesome, I’m thinking...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
A 2-16x44 would be awesome, I’m thinking...

Could not agree more. F1 of course.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I prefer a low power variable to the red dots provided the LPV reticle is daylight bright, the red dots are just not as clean and precise and aiming point to my eyes anymore. After looking at the reticle on the Vudu I decided that one is a "no"

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
this is a really good scope. Primary Arms 1-6x24mm GEN III ACSS Riflescope, I heard it was made in the same factory where they make the knock off Chinese leupolds.

S
S
Considering bigger zoom ratios are likely to require erector lenses to move farther forward, I'm amazed NF can get 8x multiples into such a short scope. Not that I believe in high multiples like that. Getting above the traditional 3x multiples was hard work, even with reticle-movement scopes. Adding more and more complication to articulated erector tubes sounds like a dumb idea to me where heavy recoil is involved. The Romanian maker Valdada was early into big-multiple erector tubes but I'm not sure they believe in them, esp. when it comes to tactical scopes. There, their most-trusted technology is or recently was fixed power, reticle-movement.

I haven't looked through an NX8 but hear the vision fades a bit at 8x. With a 3mm exit pupil, that's not surprising. If you buy the twilight factor bag, though, that scope at 8x has a value of 14, compared with, say, the 12 of a classic German 4x81 with its 9mm exit pupil - and some of that 9mm will be wasted on most people.

For use on big-game rifles, I find Nightforce's reticles a bit twee. Why can't they make a #4 type with heavy side bars coming close to the centre, so when the battery and all else fails, your eye will still get the picture?

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by sambarman338
Considering bigger zoom ratios are likely to require erector lenses to move farther forward, I'm amazed NF can get 8x multiples into such a short scope. Not that I believe in high multiples like that. Getting above the traditional 3x multiples was hard work, even with reticle-movement scopes. Adding more and more complication to articulated erector tubes sounds like a dumb idea to me where heavy recoil is involved. The Romanian maker Valdada was early into big-multiple erector tubes but I'm not sure they believe in them, esp. when it comes to tactical scopes. There, their most-trusted technology is or recently was fixed power, reticle-movement.

I haven't looked through an NX8 but hear the vision fades a bit at 8x. With a 3mm exit pupil, that's not surprising. If you buy the twilight factor bag, though, that scope at 8x has a value of 14, compared with, say, the 12 of a classic German 4x81 with its 9mm exit pupil - and some of that 9mm will be wasted on most people.

For use on big-game rifles, I find Nightforce's reticles a bit twee. Why can't they make a #4 type with heavy side bars coming close to the centre, so when the battery and all else fails, your eye will still get the picture?

That's mostly bullcrap.

Just to avoid confusion: Valdada is a US company that imports products from a few places. The Romanian company you are thinking of is IOR.

What sounds like a dumb idea to you seems to be working pretty well for pretty much every decent scope maker out there, even for IOR. I am not sure where you are getting your information but pretty much EVERY scope IOR has introduced in the last several years is a fairly conventional high erector ratio design.

The only scope they currently make with a non-centered reticle that you like is the fixed power 4x24 M1. They first started making that scope in the late 60s or early 70s and it wasn't exactly cutting edge back then either. It is a modification of the basic Soviet PSO/POSP 4x design that was originally developed in the Soviet Union for the Dragunov rifle. It was made in a couple of ComBlock countries for export and for their indigenous sniper/DMR rifles. PSL in the case of Romania (introduced in 1974).

In other words, this was their most trusted technology as recently as the 70s.

ILya

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am beginning to wonder if samberman is here as a troll. Looks like from everything I have considered the NXS8 even with its poor performance a 7-8X probably my best bet for a lw 223.

S
S
Well, that's interesting, Koshkin, perhaps you could take my argument to pieces and explain exactly where the bull crap is. Is it not true, for instance, that turning up the magnification moves lenses forward, not true that larger power multiples require longer erector tubes? Are my twilight factor figures wrong?

Optics companies dissembling on their country of manufacture is nothing new. Reading the Nightforce 80-page catalog gives the distinct impression their scopes are made in America, but I'm told that is not the situation, either. As a variation on Will Rogers' saying, in this regard, I only know what I read in the websites. In the Valdada case my attention was drawn to this FAQ question several years ago and it remains on their website:

Why is my reticule off to one side?
Our M-series of tactical scopes and our 3x25 QR-TS scopes feature non-centered reticules. As you move the reticule, it physically moves inside the scope as there is no erector tube moving. It is a non centered reticle design and is normal to have it sit slightly out of center. This system is an old military design and has proven to be incredibly durable in combat situations.

Your knowledge of the brand is obviously way ahead of mine but I was honestly led to believe it was a Romanian maker. While I don't accept that it is good or even normal to have the reticle noticeably out of centre, except when mounted badly, I am impressed by a company that also sells scopes with power multiples up to 10x admitting the residual merits of reticle movement.

Much as you have convinced me that Nightforce must be a hell of a brand, and I have expressed a certain pride that this marque has an Australian origin, the complaints of failures in virtually every other brand keep me from thinking image-movement is just as stable in its essential concept. It just so happens that before reading your responses, I pulled to bits an old Nickel Marburg scope, to weigh up the parts in checking my opinion that the movable elements have roughly one-tenth the mass likely to move in a quality modern scope.

The Nickel's reticle assembly was actually quite substantial, comprising a narrow, 21mm-diameter ring with a #1 reticle, attached to a solid brass ring almost 1cm 'long',with a male dovetail on the front to locate it vertically in a solid sleeve ahead, to prevent movement forward or back under recoil. The mass of this movable assembly is 142 grains, heavier than I expected but still within the 80 to 150 grains I had estimated previously.

This assembly was held up against the single turret screw by a very strong flat spring fixed to the sleeve ahead. The mass of the separate 9cm-long, brass-mounted erector set, lodged unmovingly in the outer tube, is approx. 1235 grains. Because it extends the full width of the tube, it would be heavier in section than modern erector tubes (in 1'' scopes, at least) but is much shorter and does not include the reticle bit.

The shortness of the Nickel erector set may be because the scope was only a 2.5-6x variable, not one with the 6-and-8x multiples so common now. I would estimate that the erector tube NF showed in their 2017 catalog is about 50% longer than that old erector set. Even the aluminum erector tube from a Tasco 3-9 I've got measures 13cm.

Though NF appear to have some miraculous way of taming them, ILya, can you deny that the leveraged inertia forces on a 13cm erector tube, weighing from two to four ounces, are likely to exceed those on a short, 142-grain reticle assembly? Can you assure me that over hundreds of shots on a portable 458 Lott rifle, rather than the motor-like vibrations of a Vulcan machine gun, that the modern NF erector tube, let alone anyone elses, is not more prone to scrape and crash against the turret screws, eventually giving trouble?

No, jimmyp, I am not a troll. Things optical have got a bit quiet over at AR, so I thought I might bring my message to some new eyes. There is a book but I don't wish to violate the forum rules, so won't mention its name unless I buy some advertising. I concur with you on one point, though: I'm sure the NX8 will give a lifetime of service on your .223.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You're swinging an awfully big stick with just 15 posts.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

We'll all have plenty of laughs at his next 15 posts, I'm sure. He's making the circuit around several boards trying to find someone who thinks he knows what he's talking about. He's struck out so far.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I am thinking he will fit right in with all the catty fuqking optic know it alls on this forum..

Last edited by Nrut; 08/05/18.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
When ILya calls him out...

And he's not usually so blunt.

Don't reckon this dude knows who he's messing with... blush

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/06/18.
S
S
Thanks guys, I'm a bit disappointed in you, though, JGRaider. I was hoping you'd explain all and give me a free ad wink

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, you're now up to 16 posts... grin

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by sambarman338
Thanks guys, I'm a bit disappointed in you, though, JGRaider. I was hoping you'd explain all and give me a free ad wink

You supposedly wrote a book, I didn't. It would be a waste of my time. Besides, you wouldn't believe a guy (Formid) who sees hundreds of thousands of rounds fired. Anxiously awaiting post #17..........

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,909
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.