Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I think Mcmillan is only getting started on these. I expect to see more models out there in the foreseeable future. I am pretty sure they can make them lighter as well .

If only some LH models.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I think Mcmillan is only getting started on these. I expect to see more models out there in the foreseeable future. I am pretty sure they can make them lighter as well .

If only some LH models.
LH and for the RAR would get me to buy 2!

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

If only some LH models.

They are in the works.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I noticed that online, they mention the outlander is for standard and magnum barrels. So my question is, do you have to sand down the barrel channel to fit a magnum barrel OR is the channel preset for a magnum barrel thus a standard sporter will be OK. And if it is indeed setup already for a magnum barrel, how does the standard barrel look in the channel? BIG gap or just enough to free float. Any pics please, looking to get a outlander for my SS Rem 700 .308 with 24" standard barrel.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
I noticed that online, they mention the outlander is for standard and magnum barrels. So my question is, do you have to sand down the barrel channel to fit a magnum barrel OR is the channel preset for a magnum barrel thus a standard sporter will be OK. And if it is indeed setup already for a magnum barrel, how does the standard barrel look in the channel? BIG gap or just enough to free float. Any pics please, looking to get a outlander for my SS Rem 700 .308 with 24" standard barrel.

I am also considering this option. I just picked up a 700 SS adl 308 that I'm beginning to tweak and upgrade components. I found this article which has good pics of a standard sporter barrel in the greyboe outlander (factory rem awr in 30-06). It appears that the stock is set up for magnum contour and will accept a sporter with a significant gap. The authors conclusion was this stock is not a good fit, among other issues with his rifle...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-700-american-wilderness-rifle-in-30-06/

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I guess nobody has a Grayboe outlander with a standard stock barrel. All the Grayboe stock that I have saw show bull barrel. I'm just wanting to see a pic of a standard barrel in the outlander barrel channel to see the gap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder if they ever do M70's?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, straight from the horses mouth:

Yes it is possible. I don’t think it’ll happen at least until later in 2019 at the earliest. If we do begin to offer stocks in that configuration, we will definitely announce it on our website and social media pages.

Cheers,

Ryan McMillan
Owner, Grayboe LLC
grayboe.com
facebook.com/grayboe
instagram.com/grayboe

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 16bore

Yes it is possible. I don’t think it’ll happen at least until later in 2019 at the earliest. If we do begin to offer stocks in that configuration, we will definitely announce it on our website and social media pages.

Cheers,

Ryan McMillan
Owner, Grayboe LLC
grayboe.com
facebook.com/grayboe
instagram.com/grayboe

I emailed these guys to see if they gave the same answer. https://custominletstocks.com/

I have seen Grayboe recommend them for custom requests on their social media pages.

Last edited by drano 25; 07/11/18.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I guess nobody has a Grayboe outlander with a standard stock barrel. All the Grayboe stock that I have saw show bull barrel. I'm just wanting to see a pic of a standard barrel in the outlander barrel channel to see the gap.

Standard SPS barrel. Originally a .270 now a .338-06. Pretty significant gap as you can see. Definitely free floating.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12985702#Post12985702

Last edited by magshooter1; 07/13/18.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 16bore

Cheers,

Ryan McMillan
Owner, Grayboe LLC
grayboe.com
facebook.com/grayboe
instagram.com/grayboe

[quote=16bore]Well, straight from the horses mouth:

I emailed him about one a few weeks ago and Ryan's response was the end of 2019 at the earliest on the M70. It doesn't sound like they're a high priority. I'll probably just go with a B&C

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had BC, HS, McMillan, Winlite, Tupperware, and Walnut on this particular M70. Hogged out Winlite mighta been my favorite. Hated the McMillan Hunter. I'll wait to try the Grayboe over another BC.

Sadly it shoots like a mofo in Tupperware.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by magshooter1

Standard SPS barrel. Originally a .270 now a .338-06. Pretty significant gap as you can see. Definitely free floating.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12985702#Post12985702

Is that a sporter in a Varmint channel? Or a sporter in a sporter channel?

They only make the sporter channel with the BDL bottom metal, which is a mistake in my opinion. They should make sporter and M5 together. They

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by David_Walter

They only make the sporter channel with the BDL bottom metal, which is a mistake in my opinion. They should make sporter and M5 together. They

Grayboe Outlander Remington 700 Stock
Traditional hunting stock shape, straight comb and swooped back pistol grip.
Color : Gray with black web
No cheek piece so it is ambidextrous
Designed as a drop in fit for Remington 700 long action
Fits standard and magnum contour barrels
Machined in aluminum pillar bedding
1" Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad
BDL hinged floor plate design
13.5" LOP
2 lbs

This is the description from Red Hawk Rifles website. The 2 lbs is off though. I need to reweigh mine. I can't remember exactly what it was but it was north of 2 lbs by a bit.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I would have thought that "standard and magnum " contours meant that it will fit a standard, but there is enough meat to sand and allow a magnum barrel to fit. For a standard barrel can't put back material that isn't there to get a good fit. That gap does look pretty significant. The gap looks very similiar to when I put my sporter in my hs precision barrel for my AAC-SD just to see how it fit. Gap was way to big. This isn't as bad, but close.

Last edited by SDupontJr; 07/14/18.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have 3 outlanders. Absolutely love them. Fit and finish on all of mine is superb...really didn't need glass bedding but got it anyways. They are a touch on the heavy side but sold as God damned rock. I should note they are pillar bedded from the factory.

2 are on standard 270s, while one is on a factory 7mm rem mag. Barrel channel looks fine on all of them. Id put them up against anything on the market if weight isn't a factor. There is a weird obsession on this forum with rifle weight. All of my personal guns come in at around 8.5 lbs all up and thats how I like them. A good combination of shoot-ability and portability...but i suppose rifle weight is a personal thing.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Grayboe Outlander Remington 700 Stock
Traditional hunting stock shape, straight comb and swooped back pistol grip.
Color : Gray with black web
No cheek piece so it is ambidextrous
Designed as a drop in fit for Remington 700 long action
Fits standard and magnum contour barrels
Machined in aluminum pillar bedding
1" Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad
BDL hinged floor plate design
13.5" LOP
2 lbs

This is the description from Red Hawk Rifles website. The 2 lbs is off though. I need to reweigh mine. I can't remember exactly what it was but it was north of 2 lbs by a bit.

Reweighed it. 2lb. 7 oz. frown

They're off by dang near 1/2 lb.

Last edited by magshooter1; 07/27/18.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
I have 3 outlanders. Absolutely love them. Fit and finish on all of mine is superb...really didn't need glass bedding but got it anyways. They are a touch on the heavy side but sold as God damned rock. I should note they are pillar bedded from the factory.

2 are on standard 270s, while one is on a factory 7mm rem mag. Barrel channel looks fine on all of them. Id put them up against anything on the market if weight isn't a factor. There is a weird obsession on this forum with rifle weight. All of my personal guns come in at around 8.5 lbs all up and thats how I like them. A good combination of shoot-ability and portability...but i suppose rifle weight is a personal thing.

Are the 270's standard barrels? If so, could you shoot some pics of the barrel channel and such.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Three30Eight

Are the 270's standard barrels? If so, could you shoot some pics of the barrel channel and such.

The rifle in these pics is a 700 SPS .270 rebored to .338-06. Stock would handle a magnum contour easily.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
They finally email me back. So for those with standard barrels or for those with larger.

Hi Stephen,
The Outlander has about .060” of float on each side of the barrel with the standard sporter contour installed. The Outlander can me inlet up to a #5, this means that the a #5 won't drop directly in, it will have to opened up to fit that barrel channel and no larger barrel channel than a #5 will fit even if the channel is opened up. Does this help?

Cheers,

Ryan McMillan
Owner, Grayboe LLC

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,570
Posts18,491,864
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.