Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Read a lot of reviews.
See as many in person as you can.
Check if a Davidson's dealer is nearby.
Check, Check, Check.
So I decided the best buy for my perceived needs was the Ruger AR-556-MPR. I wanted 18", a 5.56 type chamber, a slim fore end and was well prepared to put a $250 trigger into what ever I ended up with.
Well, Gallery of guns showed "allocated" so no price quote on line. Checking my trap line with Ed..." too many letters"... found the little shop around the corner had the rifles for $679. The owner had two in stock. The display gun was quite good and an especially good upper and lower fit, but the trigger pin moved when dry firing the gun...the trigger was gritty but light, both stages.
I asked Tony the owner to see the other stock rifle. Not as great a fit but the trigger was pretty nice just as is the pin was still moving a bit as the oil around the pin made it clear that the pin fit was just so-so. Bought the better-trigger gun. Bolted on a 3x9 VXR in Leupold Mark 2 two piece rings. I had on hand brass, cci military primers 60 grain Sierra hps and H-4895 .loaded some to max over all length in the supplied Magpul magazines.
'Cleaned the bore and the first two shots touched at 100 yards after a super lucky bore site (about 2" high). 30 shots, cleaning the bore every five rounds fired, resulted in groups just over a half inch to just under an inch.
A single five shot group at 200 yards was just over 2". No load development no tuning just a half inch wrench and two allen wrenches to set up the rifle.
Bore is very smooth and it cleans easily. It will take better ammo and optics to get much of an improvement in accuracy.
No malfunctions at all.
None.
Tried another 30 hand loads the following day, this time in SS mags that allowed 2.300" COL instead of the usual 2.250" Groups were 10% larger and a real surprise (to me) about an inch higher on target. So, short loaded ammo for this Ruger.
If it matters I use Forster Bench Rest dies.

Rifle $679
Scope $399
Rings close out $59

Maybe this will help someone wanting a (small) step up from the stripped, basic ARs for sale.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NIce. Looks very promising.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool story, Uncas. Congrats on a successful mission.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Been hearing a lot of good things about that mpr. Glad to see Ruger stepping up to the plate here. However, id still like to see someone post up results on the black rifle challenge here.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like Rock Rivers, super accurate!!!

IC B2

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Hand load update. Tried WW 64 grain PP over Varget. Usual inch, plus a bit. This bullet has been the poorest grouping bullet tested in three rifles. It is supposed to be a deer killer. No two are the same length or weight. Poorest overall bullet in a 22/250 American 10 inch twist.1.25 MOA is just fine for deer, I suppose...the local shop sells them for $12 a bag of 100.
Also tested a new bullet, Nosler 53 grain Varageddon. long bullet with a frail forward jacked (all were deformed while seating over both Varget and H4895). Compressed loads and this bullet seem a bad combination. Accuracy about MOA in the Ruger.
'Will try Benchmark today. 26.0 fills the case to the neck...the same VOLUME and MASS of Varget drops to about a tenth shy of filling the neck of .223 Federal Brass. I suppose some settling occurs during the charge dump.
Maybe the bullet deformation will cease...?
The load to beat so far is H4985 over a 60 grain Sierra HP, loaded to 2.250"

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try some 8208 XBR or VV-133; thank me later.

MM

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I shoot the 64’s for killing pigs I trap. They group about like yours in my Rock Rivers. I get half inch groups with 62 Barnes TTSX. I had the Power points left over from trying them in a Swift. The 62 Barnes will punch through a 200 lb pigs shoulders at 200 yards. You might try those. I use Varget powder.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My experience with the 64 grain WW bullets has been poor, wish someone had a magic load because I have 500 of the bullets left. They were shipped to me in plastic bags of 100 each, maybe it’s a case of “what did you expect for this price”. I have not shot anything with one.

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Well the Benchmark is a great .223 powder. Very accurate for the first three shots with both 52GR HDY Match and the 53 Noslers. Five shot groups opened to an inch.( I shur was a better shot when I only fired three shot groups).3/8" for three from a cold clean barrel, either bullet only using 25.2gr.100% fill maybe little or no air space.
Great accuracy and the ejected brass formed a group a foot in diameter, eight feet away, at 4 O'Clock.

Picked up a can of CFE223 but it is TOO FINE for a Dillon powder measure...sluggish like metering lard! 'Will have to weight each load...

Found a one and only can of 8208 today....but just unwilling to pay a third more than the CFE.

Benchmark may just be second to 8208 but it is looking at least as good as H4985 and no deformed bullets from compressed (too much) loads.

I have been testing my first build, a Rock River/ Black Hole weaponry barrel,18' mid length, (made in St Helen's OR) /Timney trigger with a snazzy Timber Creek (made in Springfield OR) fore end,Seekins brake and adjustable gas block. A tighter,handier, nicer gun that is just behind the basic off the shelf Ruger...accuracy wise...load for load , shot for shot.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
IC B3

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Post Script. About 100 handloads now thru the Ruger without a single hitch. None at all. Load, chamber and fire until empty. Still cleaning (briefly) every 5 or 10 shots.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I checked out a Ruger MPR yesterday. Hate to say it, but the upper looked cheap and flimsy. Rifle felt good in the hands though. However, It's probably better than most lower priced, off the shelf rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I didn't know if my interest in ARs would last, so when I bought, I bought Colt. I don't know anything about cheaper AR copies or more expensive, custom-type copies. These guns may all shoot better than Colt. However, I've found Colt to shoot very well in completely stock form, no after-market triggers, handguards, etc. In comparison with other guns, Colt will retain a high resale value and be easier to sell if that becomes necessary.

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I was waiting for parts when I bought the Ruger. I did have two rifles to compare in the store. One was tight with a fair trigger. The other was not as tight top to lower fit but has a very good trigger. I think the barrel is good it cleans easily and really onlt opens up groups when firing the 4th and fifth shot. I did single load it the first time to the range as my hand loads were too long for the supplied MagPul magazine. (I loaded some to ASG 2.318" max and left the ASG magazine on the loading bench)

Agree Colt and Rock River, maybe others will retain more re-sale value.

For the time being guns and ammo are overstocked, prices very attractive and dealers are missing our former Commander in Chief.

Bi Mart has .22 ammo for $17.66 a brick!
The Brother in laws are here for a visit so... ARs for everybody at the range next week.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Uncas
I was waiting for parts when I bought the Ruger. I did have two rifles to compare in the store. One was tight with a fair trigger. The other was not as tight top to lower fit but has a very good trigger. I think the barrel is good it cleans easily and really onlt opens up groups when firing the 4th and fifth shot. I did single load it the first time to the range as my hand loads were too long for the supplied MagPul magazine. (I loaded some to ASG 2.318" max and left the ASG magazine on the loading bench)

Agree Colt and Rock River, maybe others will retain more re-sale value.

For the time being guns and ammo are overstocked, prices very attractive and dealers are missing our former Commander in Chief.

Bi Mart has .22 ammo for $17.66 a brick!
The Brother in laws are here for a visit so... ARs for everybody at the range next week.

The reality is that no other manufacturer can match the price of the Ruger MPR with equal features. The MPR is the best deal for a non-carbine rifle. Somebody else may match or beat it later. I think Ruger really shook up the AR market with the AR556 carbine and MPR. My guess is that now that all.the bann hysteria has died down, AR prices are going to stay low.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Did anyone ever post up a 10 shot group with one of those Rugers?

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by lotech
I didn't know if my interest in ARs would last, so when I bought, I bought Colt. I don't know anything about cheaper AR copies or more expensive, custom-type copies. These guns may all shoot better than Colt. However, I've found Colt to shoot very well in completely stock form, no after-market triggers, handguards, etc. In comparison with other guns, Colt will retain a high resale value and be easier to sell if that becomes necessary.

Solid logic and approach here if a guy is unsure..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ruger is a major manufacturer with a good name. Probably just as good as Colt. And Colt has nothing to compete against the MPR. The Colt name is just something mall-ninjas like to see.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by TWR
Did anyone ever post up a 10 shot group with one of those Rugers?

TWR

I've tried but I become frustrated. File size errors, failure to upload and more frustrate me. I may try again when I've some extra time. Bottom line, I need to able to upload pics. My portable device is giving me fits uploading files.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Okay...next up, How to build an AR.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1badf350, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,591
Posts18,473,436
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.