Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Show me or tell mewhat your pac nors shoot like.

I have heard great things about them. What do you have?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Popcorn ready.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over the years I used a few in different calibers. The good ones were good for ten shots in 3/4" at 100 yards. The others were up to 1 1/2" for three shots at 100 yards.
After three tries with their "gunsmithing" I wont do that anymore.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I had Redneck screw one on a Rem 700 for me in .280. It was S.S., 22", 1:9 twist. I shot factory ammo only in it and was getting MOA with it. I sold it to a fire member and he was able to do a lot better than that.

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a 6.5-06 with a 30" Pacnor that will put 5 in 1/2" consistently. Don't use it anymore, got it for sell in the classifieds.

Had a prairie dog shooting buddy that had Pacnor put together a 7mm Short mag on a Savage action that was a tack driver also. he killed a prairie dog with it at 1311 yards. It would hold 5 in 1/2" also.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Nothing but good luck with Pac Nor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
I had Redneck screw one on a Rem 700 for me in .280. It was S.S., 22", 1:9 twist. I shot factory ammo only in it and was getting MOA with it. I sold it to a fire member and he was able to do a lot better than that.

I had him do up a 7X57 on a M-70 for me with a Pac-Nor and I've only been able to find one load that shoots worth a schit. Nothing under MOA yet.

My .338-06 on a 700 action, that I had Pac-Nor do everything on, shoots great, but that was 16 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wait for it.....wait for it....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had six of them and no complaints except for one. Some shoot better than others which I suspect you’d find with any “production custom” barrel maker. A .243 barrel, now converted to .243 AI, puts three shots into the .2’s, that's after some 2400 rounds down the barrel. A .308 on a M700 that Mickey Coleman did for me is a half inch or better shooter. A .30-06 on a M70 that Pac-Nor installed back in the late 90’s was a tack driver, although a SS .30-06 they put on a SS M70 is only so-so. A .270 on a M700 is another tack driver, while a .270 on M70 now long gone wouldn’t shoot for beans, and I had two other people shoot it to be sure it wasn’t me. I’ve had P-N recountour two of their barrels to a lighter profile and note that they shot just as good with the lighter contour. Also note that all of mine now are the Remington standard sporter contour, .660 OD at the muzzle, except the SS M70 which is a KS contour which is the Rem sporter but with a .600 OD at the muzzle. .

The only other custom barrel I’ve had is a Brux 6mm on a M70 and it was a good shooter but not as good as my two best Pac-Nors.

Their customer service has always been great although I haven’t had any recent experience with them in the last half dozen years or more. But based on prior experiences I’d certainly not be afraid to use one.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've had two Pac Nors installed by a custom gunsmith. I was told by him that they are good barrels but it takes a while for them to break in and start stacking bullets on top of one another. He was right...it did take a good while for each to start shooting. However, in my opinion, they shot "good", not fantastic. I had both replaced with Shilen match barrels and those were both shooting lights out after about a 25 round break in. One rifle is a 7/08 and the other is a 300 RUM. Both were inch, inch and a half with the PacNor....both average quarter inch now with the Shilens.

That's just my experience...yours may vary.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Same 'smith and same reamers?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had a few done by PACNOR and they have been all less than MOA.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If not pac nor then who

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any maker can and does turn out turds. It is a crap shoot.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have 4 PacNor barrels and they each have been less than 0.5 MOA out past 600 yards. In fact, they have been more consistent and easier to develop a load for than my Bartleins.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am very pleased with my Pac-Nor barrel.It was an eight week trip from Texas to Pac-Nor and back.They did the installation.I told them I wanted it throated for 150-180gr bullets.It has a short throat,probably set at SAMMI specs.Set my bullet,168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip .030 off the lands and used a couple loads that I had used in other 30-06's,so I really didn't spend anytime working up a specific load for this rifle.It shot great with the two loads,so I was happy with that and I killed a couple of deer with it too. I'd spend the extra and get the Super Match Grade barrel.Mine has a full 28" barrel.It gets about a 100fps faster velocity than my other 30-06's do with the same load.The velocity spread is also much tighter.Probably due to a better smoother barrel.My 58.0gr Accurate 4350 load with the 168gr NBT runs 3030fps and hits like a 300 Magnum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Don't kid yourself no 06 hits like a mag...

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My son and I have seven in different callibers. No complaints at all, but he does all the gunsmithing.

I will tell you they are tight! Start low and work up.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My 280 AI is built on one. No complaints. Cleans up easy. Pretty forgiving. Ill see if I have any pics of targets.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The rifle. Ill take a couple target/load pics tomorrow evening.
[Linked Image]
Shot this guy with the 140 grain Sierra Pro Hunter over RL17.
[Linked Image]

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Mmmmm,maybe. I ran a 26" 30/06 on a Shilen barrel. It got 2,920 fps with 57.5 grains of H4350 and a 180 ballistic tip. That's most mighty close to 300 Winny, 308 Norma, 300 H+H or 300 WSM. Generally speaking.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

here's one of my Pac Nor/Savage p/dog rigs...built in 2002......6BR

one of my first projects....no nut 26"..12 twist ......1.228" @ the muzzle...18# or so

low round estimate......16 years & 800 rds a year.....just short of 13K rds..give or take......

I'm keeping better track of my current 223AI & 20-222 Pac Nor dog guns....using the 5K primer packs

This is the last year for this super accurate dog killer......sold the dies & remaining 500 brass

70 Noslers & 75 V max has been the main boolit...yes moly boolits,,,,,,,,Benchmark powder & Lapua brass

Ran 175 rds out this weekend & still killing p/dogs out to 575 yds..I like Pac Nor barrels

Also have 20 Vartarg..20 Practical..6.5x55......sold my 6XC & 358 Win set ups...

good products from a company that cares !......yes 12 week wait for a Savage pre fit......

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve a couple.. not impressed, and after a couple folks I know with nosler rifles, I think there’s better choices....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

6.5x55

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mathman
Same 'smith and same reamers?

Yep!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Stainless Pacnor in 7mm rem mag. It hates the bullet I had it set up for. 140gr Ballistic tip. It will shoot a 1" 300 yard 2 shot group with 175gr Sierra Just don't try to make a good 3-5 shot group. If you shoot 2 two shot groups at 300, you get 2 groups of under 1" with 3/4" separation.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking sticks

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple PacNor barrels in 204 Ruger and 20 Practical. Both are SuperMatch barrels instead of Match barrels. This may have something to do with the performance I’ve been fortunate to experience with the 204 Rug. I haven’t had the 20P out yet.

I have 3 Lilja barrels currently and cooked 2 other Liljas in the past on my 300 Roy’s. Every Lilja has met my expectations for great accuracy.

I would suggest going with a SuperMatch barrel from PacNor. Might increase your chances of getting a straight shoot’n tube.😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fotis
If not pac nor then who

Pac Nor. grin

My dad and I have run a few. All have been capable of outstanding accuracy. They ran from 6.5 x 55 Swede, on up to 358 WSM. Ours have all been Excellent shooters in both SS and CM.

I do wish Penny was still working there though, guess retirement seemed more appealing than answering the phone.

My next build will be a another Pac Nor, if no changes in materials and workmanship occurs.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did this with the first 3 shots out of the box with a 358 Win>

[Linked Image]

200 gr Factory load.

And this one with 142gr ABLR in a 6.5x55

[Linked Image]

I'm satisfied with them.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That would work nicely

μολὼν λαβέ

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

high mileage Pac Nor......12 twist 20 practical

3 @ 100 yds.......40 v max

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got a Mexican Mauser rebarreled at Pac Nor. I had it chambered for the 7mm Mauser with a Winchester Featherweight contour and told them that I would be shooting 140gr factory ammo in it. I had them Cerakote the action and barrel. I got my local gunsmith to inlet the stock for the barreled action and glass bed it. It will easily shoot three shots under an inch at 100 yards with factory 140 grain bullets. While I realize that "accurate" to me might not be close to what others expect, I couldn't be happier with Pac Nor. The service was great and fairly fast for what I asked. This is my third Pac Nor barrel and if I need another I wouldn't hesitate to go to them again.

[Linked Image]

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If not pac nor then who

Look no further than Criterion. I have three that are all sub-half-moa and I am not even a hair splitter with my reloading. Phenomenal shooters.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sbhooper
If not pac nor then who

Look no further than Criterion. I have three that are all sub-half-moa and I am not even a hair splitter with my reloading. Phenomenal shooters.

I have one Criterion barrel. Had a good shooter fire it. Two groups at 100 yards: First was 3/8" the second was 1/8"!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Mine is so close it doesn't make any difference that I can tell on game.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by irfubar
Any maker can and does turn out turds. It is a crap shoot.
THAT!!

I installed a Krieger for a guy that spewed out patterns... The customer just wanted it round-filed and I installed a Lilja.. Problem solved.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had an issue with any pac-nor barrel. Nor krieger, lilja, lothar walther or shilen.
Have/had them in 224,270,338. All shot great.

Been using Shilen lately, as that is what my smith likes.

Last edited by CRS; 07/18/18.

Arcus Venator
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like shilen but they don't do flutes

μολὼν λαβέ

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pac Nor I believe was farming out the installation and chambering work so it could vary with which Smith doe's the work. One of my Smiths uses Pac Nor for everything.

As Red Neck and others wrote it is a crap shoot. Worst barrel I have seen came from one of the top manufacturers which can happen to anyone. What PO'd me was they did not even respond when I asked if they could re-bore the barrel. Another big item is how many barrels do they scrap or re-bore? The number is fairly high for shops like Krieger while others mark these as a lower grade. Leica makes such superb lenses as they scrap up to four out of five lenses. I once saw a photo of a sizeable ware house full of reject Leica lenses, these were slated to be re-melted.

The other factor is stress relief. Some shops do this before and after boring and some Cryo the barrels to improve machinability which it does more than reducing stress. Cut rifling induces less stress and then button with hammer forging the most but it can be mostly heat treated out.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have 240 Weatherby built on Yugo Mauser. A for sure nail driver.

1Minute
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had one, it shot great!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to agree. Any barrel maker can screw up. I had a name brand maker that has been mentioned in this thread ship me a barrel that was obviously bored WAY off center. They weren't very interested in making it good until I asked if they normally put the thick side of their barrels on the bottom or the top and which would they recommend. They said that they would like to see the barrel and then shipped me a new one right out. The new one turned out great.

It's not whether or not you have a problem with a product you make, its how you handle the problem that makes the difference...

Harry
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It’s as hit and miss, as anything else in the button game. I single point cut rifle is a safer bet but nothing is perfect. If I was looking to flute I would not look at any button rifled tubes. Stress relief is key on the button style and most if not all of those stresses are eliminated on a cut rifle.

Fotis ask Scott to give you a run Down of the difference he was tight with boots and has a bunch of knowledge on the subject.

I have a bunch of button barrels that shoot great but nothing keeps up with the cut stuff. 🙂 and I only flute cut as a rule for my own liking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pac Nor - .308 Win - 10 twist
#5 or slightly heavier - Fluted
Redneck (Lee) did the barrel work
Most accurate rifle I've ever owned.
I've lost track of rounds thru it.
I've never ran a patch thru it.
150's, 165's, 180's, it'll put them all right where I ask it to.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot well over 100 PN spouts all but (1) of which was Stainless and I've yet to see anything near a "bad" one,or anything "weird". In a nutshell,they easily remain my favorite spout of all time and my Buttons,have always trumped my Cut. Perhaps the most telling is,that Criterion has absolutely flogged Krieger,as per spouts I own. Hint.

In fairness,I shoot a few Makes of spouts: Criterion,Douglas,Wilson,GM,PN,Hart,Liljee,Bart',Brux,Krieger,Obie,Shilen,LW,McMillan,Schneider,Muller,Rock,BHW,X-Caliber,McGowen...amongst others and if only from the hip. Have "only" run contours from sub #1's to straight 1.350" Bull and of course most stops in between,though only from .17cal to .375". Never have gone longer than 30",nor shorter than 14"(XP-100 Custom). Have fluted 'em initially,as well as after the fact and reduced contour then fluted to boot,with nary anything resembling an "issue". Then again,I needn't ask anybody anything,about barrels and simply have BT/DT and have all the T-shirts. Hint.

'Course I'm a little bit whole bunch good on a Press and even better on a trigger and have long savvied the melding of twist,throating and COAL latitude...which connects more than a few dots and bears more than a little fruit. Hint.

As 500yd+ Egg Rifles go,my top 5 picks from the larder would be Buttoned and only (1) not a PN and it's a Hart. Pardon the flutes. Laughing!

Got some new glass to carve outta parcels,as well as a new stock/DBM to open too and their Button Bound collectively. Now if only the Piece Of Fhuqking Schit Bushie 4.5-18x LRHSi replacement would arrive,along with the mythical CameraLand Geovids,I'd roll some more fhuqking footing to record hilarity in adsvance. Hint. Laughing!

It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots...and who don't.

Bless your hearts.

Laughing!.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've shot well over 100 PN spouts all but (1) of which was Stainless and I've yet to see anything near a "bad" one,or anything "weird". In a nutshell,they easily remain my favorite spout of all time and my Buttons,have always trumped my Cut. Perhaps the most telling is,that Criterion has absolutely flogged Krieger,as per spouts I own. Hint.

In fairness,I shoot a few Makes of spouts: Criterion,Douglas,Wilson,GM,PN,Hart,Liljee,Bart',Brux,Krieger,Obie,Shilen,LW,McMillan,Schneider,Muller,Rock,BHW,X-Caliber,McGowen...amongst others and if only from the hip. Have "only" run contours from sub #1's to straight 1.350" Bull and of course most stops in between,though only from .17cal to .375". Never have gone longer than 30",nor shorter than 14"(XP-100 Custom). Have fluted 'em initially,as well as after the fact and reduced contour then fluted to boot,with nary anything resembling an "issue". Then again,I needn't ask anybody anything,about barrels and simply have BT/DT and have all the T-shirts. Hint.

'Course I'm a little bit whole bunch good on a Press and even better on a trigger and have long savvied the melding of twist,throating and COAL latitude...which connects more than a few dots and bears more than a little fruit. Hint.

As 500yd+ Egg Rifles go,my top 5 picks from the larder would be Buttoned and only (1) not a PN and it's a Hart. Pardon the flutes. Laughing!

Got some new glass to carve outta parcels,as well as a new stock/DBM to open too and their Button Bound collectively. Now if only the Piece Of Fhuqking Schit Bushie 4.5-18x LRHSi replacement would arrive,along with the mythical CameraLand Geovids,I'd roll some more fhuqking footing to record hilarity in adsvance. Hint. Laughing!

It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots...and who don't.

Bless your hearts.

Laughing!.......................

No even close to impressed LOL.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sugar tits! im shocked Doug is taking AK food stamps as payment. But with all the great PR you have given him I’m sure your needs and wants are list topping. 😂

PS once you actually get a kill in this decade please post pictures.
This one is a an favorite. No fur but with the law on the night hunting thing it’s probably tricky.

[Linked Image]

C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have had PAC-NOR put up a half dozen barrels for me. All of them have been good to outstanding. I recently had them do a Kimber 84L 280 AI for me, and it is now one the best shooters I have in the safe. CP.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the information fellas

μολὼν λαβέ

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I’ve had six of them and no complaints except for one. Some shoot better than others which I suspect you’d find with any “production custom” barrel maker. A .243 barrel, now converted to .243 AI, puts three shots into the .2’s, that's after some 2400 rounds down the barrel. A .308 on a M700 that Mickey Coleman did for me is a half inch or better shooter. A .30-06 on a M70 that Pac-Nor installed back in the late 90’s was a tack driver, although a SS .30-06 they put on a SS M70 is only so-so. A .270 on a M700 is another tack driver, while a .270 on M70 now long gone wouldn’t shoot for beans, and I had two other people shoot it to be sure it wasn’t me. I’ve had P-N recountour two of their barrels to a lighter profile and note that they shot just as good with the lighter contour. Also note that all of mine now are the Remington standard sporter contour, .660 OD at the muzzle, except the SS M70 which is a KS contour which is the Rem sporter but with a .600 OD at the muzzle. .

The only other custom barrel I’ve had is a Brux 6mm on a M70 and it was a good shooter but not as good as my two best Pac-Nors.

Their customer service has always been great although I haven’t had any recent experience with them in the last half dozen years or more. But based on prior experiences I’d certainly not be afraid to use one.

Bought the LH Win 70 in 270 from Jim he was right did not shoot! Called Pac-Nor they said to send it back and they would rebarrel it in caliber of my choice. Had a SS 9.3 X 62 barrel put on it and it shoots! Could not ask for better customer service!

Also bought Jims LH Model 70 Pac Nor barreled 06 and it is a shooter also!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I contacted Pacnor about the rifle I was having trouble with and they had me send it out to them to diagnose the issue. They said the crown was never finished with a chamfer and the bore was full of burs, plus the barrel was barely on finger tight and the no-go chamber gage fell right in until they got it on there tight.
Same day turn-around and no charge to check out and fix something that they didn't do in the first place.

Kudo's to Pacnor!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.