Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchester70
Originally Posted by JMR40
The Classics made from the early 90's for about 10 years or so might well be the best Winchesters ever made.

I personally consider Model 70's made in the 1950's the best, with the Classic's from the 1990's second.

To the OP, $750 will still get you a very lightly used USA made Classic.

I'm with you guys. Pre 64's, classics and the early XTR FWT's are the ones I look for.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have purchased four South Carolina Featherweights when they were the SHOT Show Specials. I had to mess with the trigger on all four and install Ernie the Gunsmith springs to get the triggers down to 3 pounds. I never had that issue with my New Haven guns. Different trigger, so we won't go into that; I just mention it because of the press releases on the adjustability of the newer triggers. Only one of the SC guns didn't need a lot of attention to get to shoot. I should have let the other three go down the road, but I like messing with guns.

I own one of the Portugal guns that was made very early when production was switched over. It has the same trigger issue, and although it is a standard Featherweight, the fit and finish is at least as good as my Shot Show Specials. My only complaint is that the stock looks like it was left over night in the stain vat. It absolutely has the darkest piece of walnut I have ever seen on a rifle, including WWII surplus that have been heavily oiled.

I consider them to be a very good value, particularly if you can grab them on sale. You just have to remember that they are Model 70's in name only.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I miss Bob getting on someone’s ass when they put something stupid on here!

Last edited by hanco; 07/18/18.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by jwall

I think BobinNH would have an issue with that comment as would most Model 70 aficiniados. I think the classics are very very spotty in quality. I think Bob referred to them as Project rifles.

Bob also told me personally that when he got a Pre 64, he put it in a different stock, worked the trigger, etc.

Seems to me both Pre 64 & Post 64 are Project rifles.

Jerry

He was a perfectionist, he also claimed the CRF on the classic did not work like it did on the Pre64

He was right. In many cases classics would not feed properly.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Classics made from the early 90's for about 10 years or so might well be the best Winchesters ever made.

I think BobinNH would have an issue with that comment as would most Model 70 aficiniados. I think the classics are very very spotty in quality. I think Bob referred to them as Project rifles.

Again, bob was right.

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by winchester70
Originally Posted by JMR40

I personally consider Model 70's made in the 1950's the best, with the Classic's from the 1990's second.

To the OP, $750 will still get you a very lightly used USA made Classic.

I'm with you guys. Pre 64's, classics and the early XTR FWT's are the ones I look for.

Same here im not going out of my way to buy a new Winchester, but if a good deal pops up I buy one. But when I can pick up used classic for almost half the cost of a new m70, I will go the classic route all day. Like that 5 digit stainless classic I snagged for $650. I bedded it and that thing will stack 150 partitions. One day I will get a pre64 model 70

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I miss Bob getting on someone’s ass when they put something stupid on here!

Lol oh boy..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.