Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They're complete badasses.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
at one time, i don't know if they still have the equipment, the phoenix zoo use to buy yearly about four or five boxes of 30.06 in 220 grain from a local gun store which was frends with the owner.
I am not sure about other forms of sedation. No scopes on the rifles either. If i remember correctly, they brought the rifles in yearly for cleaning.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm certainly no expert on big cats, but have been told - or for some reason understand - that the leopard types are stronger pound-for-pound than the other big cats. Having seen film of quite a few astounding kills, and watching them carry a heavy kill up into a tree, I don't doubt it. And, the Jaguar is our leopard of the Americas. Quite a while back I felt certain that I had seen one while hunting Coues Deer in the Santa Ritas, but the thing was under a tree in dappled sunlight and not easy to distinguish - and in a flash it was gone. In that short sighting, it looked much stockier in body/legs than a big mountain lion. Wish I could spot one again.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
at one time, i don't know if they still have the equipment, the phoenix zoo use to buy yearly about four or five boxes of 30.06 in 220 grain from a local gun store which was frends with the owner.
I am not sure about other forms of sedation. No scopes on the rifles either. If i remember correctly, they brought the rifles in yearly for cleaning.

Detroit Zoo has 375 H&H's.....Pre-64 Winchesters....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CCCC
I'm certainly no expert on big cats, but have been told - or for some reason understand - that the leopard types are stronger pound-for-pound than the other big cats. Having seen film of quite a few astounding kills, and watching them carry a heavy kill up into a tree, I don't doubt IT.. And, the Jaguar is our leopard of the Americas. Quite a while back I felt certain that I had seen one while hunting Coues Deer in the Santa Ritas, but the thing was under a tree in dappled sunlight and not easy to distinguish - and in a flash it was gone. In that short sighting, it looked much stockier in body/legs than a big mountain lion. Wish I could spot one again.

A jag looks to me like it's legs have been cut off. They're quite short compared to it's body size. Short, but not weak. Those front shoulders have some real power in them. They can take down a very large prey animal. I doubt that it has the speed of longer legged cats but in it's environment, it doesn't need speed for long chases, just stealth and quickness.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
At one time people knew that dying is part of life. When someone or something died, you either buried it or ate it, then got on with living until your turn came.
Isn't this the naked truth? What has the human race done to itself - and to the zoo staff in this case? The following line in that report gave me a jolt - followed by an eye roll:
Grief counselors were also brought in for traumatized staff.
Wondering - could I make it as a grief counselor? Could you?

I wouldn't make it as a grief councilor. They'd fire me for slapping the crap out of them and telling them to grow up.

This is the only grief counseling they need.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Jaguars are twice the size of a leopard and are the 3rd largest cats in the world.

A big male can weigh over 300 pounds.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You’re still safer inside the zoo with a jaguar on the loose than walking around New Orleans after dark.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,093
Posts18,501,981
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.