Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Tarkio
After the second time in less than a month of nearly having to get a wrecker to extract one of my work trucks, it’s time to get winches installed so we can self-extract.

I have never had a winch in anything except wheelers so I am a novice here.

Our trucks with tanks are probably 12-15k. What do you guys recommend?

You need to think about grade resistance and mire resistance before you start shopping. And without that info, nobody can really give you an honest recommendation. A little research, and you'll be able to answers those for yourself.

I had an 8K Warn on an '06 F-150 crew/5.5' box. BARELY enough. If I were putting a winch on my current '11 Supeduty F-250/6.7L crew/6.75' box truck it'd be no less than 16.5K. When the frame is resting on hard-packed drifted snow and the tires can't touch the ground, you're going to need an awful lot more capacity than just the weight of the truck to unstick what you've stuck.

I broke through some crusted over bushes with my tracked ATV. The ATV w/tracks is +/- 1K# and I'm 275# all winter-geared up. The 2500# Warn couldn't pull anywhere near enough to un-stick me despite having almost double the pulling capacity of the machine with me on it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I broke through some crusted over bushes with my tracked ATV. The ATV w/tracks is +/- 1K# and I'm 275# all winter-geared up. The 2500# Warn couldn't pull anywhere near enough to un-stick me despite having almost double the pulling capacity of the machine with me on it.
I figure my RZR with my wife and I aboard plus all of our gear will weigh in the 1500lb range. If we're stuck, most likely 1 or both of us will be out of it for the unsticking process. I have a 3500lb winch on it plus I carry a snatch block and the other winch toys that might be useful. So far I've never needed the thing but it's sure a good feeling to have it there. I did use it to winch it into my pickup just to see how it worked. Nice and smooth.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I have a 4500lb winch on my Pioneer 700. Better to have more than you need.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I got a Ford F350 4x4 flatbed dumptruck stuck in mud and winched it straight out with a Warn 9.5K. The truck weighs almost 9K. It required I anchor to a tree with the Dodge rear bumper but it yanked it out.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's often as likely that you'll need a winch to rescue someone else as yourself. You never know what to expect so go strong.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BINGO!!!!!

"and finally a farmer came by with a 4wd tractor. Pulled them straight out."

A front mounted winch really isn't that great a tool for pulling yourself out. Great for pulling something else out.

The OP should invest on a four wheel tractor with a winch......................................and will find many other uses for it.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A front mounted winch really isn't that great a tool for pulling yourself out. Great for pulling something else out.
I've thought many times that a front mounted winch will pull you in deeper when you really want to backwards. I have a winch on the front of my RZR. I've been thinking of rigging up some way to run the cable through some pulleys to pull backwards. So far, I don't have any good ideas.
A pickup with a front receiver hitch is a natural if you mount the winch on a mount that will go on either end.

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've thought many times that a front mounted winch will pull you in deeper when you really want to backwards. I have a winch on the front of my RZR. I've been thinking of rigging up some way to run the cable through some pulleys to pull backwards. So far, I don't have any good ideas.
A pickup with a front receiver hitch is a natural if you mount the winch on a mount that will go on either end.

The 8K Warn on my ‘06 F-150 was on a carriage that allowed it to be plugged into the front or rear receiver hitch and I ran power to both ends as well.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by badger
Minimum 10k electric or hydraulic with snatchblocks, if they get really bogged down. The hydraulic winches tend to stand up better to heavy, sustained pulls. Ideally, you want a winch that is single line pull rated the same gross weight of the vehicle. You can usually get by with less with snatchblocks.

Specific brands or models?

I was thinking a 15k winch. I’m not too worried about price. I want something that will get the damn job done. Because if I’m really stuck in some of the places we frequent, a wrecker extraction may cost 4-figures.

If you don't to screw around, I'd go with a 20k hydraulic.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by horse1

The 8K Warn on my ‘06 F-150 was on a carriage that allowed it to be plugged into the front or rear receiver hitch and I ran power to both ends as well.

I've run vehicles so equipped and when all is right it's the best of all worlds. But keeping all the plugs clean and working can be a pain, and the carriage ain't exactly light lol. That being said, I do prefer this.

Originally Posted by Reba

As to the winch on the front end, I've used it more than once to get me out of snow and mud. Just depends where you're going. If my goal is straight ahead, a winch on the front works great. wink

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes a winch on the front will pull you through but you have to turn around and winch yourself back through it again.

Always carry a can of WD40. It'll clean power plugs nicely. I've l used it on trailer light plugs many times. No trucker will be without it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good info and food for thought.

I will clarify that the majority of what I expect with regard extractions are simple muddy situations in a yard or field just off a road.

In that case, I'd be tempted to use Trac-Grabber or Truck Claws, before I had people winching. You risk damage and injury while winching.

And, I don't know about you, but many times there are ZERO natural anchor points to winch from.

https://www.tracgrabber.com/

https://truckclaws.com/

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by horse1

I've run vehicles so equipped and when all is right it's the best of all worlds. But keeping all the plugs clean and working can be a pain, and the carriage ain't exactly light lol. That being said, I do prefer this.

Originally Posted by Reba

As to the winch on the front end, I've used it more than once to get me out of snow and mud. Just depends where you're going. If my goal is straight ahead, a winch on the front works great. wink

I have 3 trucks, so the thought is, if I have a truck stuck, hopefully the winch on it will get it out.

If not, I can call and get one of my other trucks out there to unstick it.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Good info and food for thought.

I will clarify that the majority of what I expect with regard extractions are simple muddy situations in a yard or field just off a road.

In that case, I'd be tempted to use Trac-Grabber or Truck Claws, before I had people winching. You risk damage and injury while winching.

And, I don't know about you, but many times there are ZERO natural anchor points to winch from.

https://www.tracgrabber.com/

https://truckclaws.com/

Those will work IF your wheels have holes for them and IF you have room under the fenders. Many newer trucks don't.

One trick for an anchor point is to carry 2 steel fence posts cut off to about 3' above the spade. You also need a heavy hammer and some very strong rope, maybe some old winch rope or mule tape. Pound in 1 post where you need the anchor, angling it away from the stuck truck. Pound in the 2d one a few feet behind the 1st. Use the rope to lash the top of the 1st to the bottom of the 2d. Attach your winch cable to the bottom of the 1st one.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Man, I could really bury a truck with those!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

One trick for an anchor point is to carry 2 steel fence posts cut off to about 3' above the spade. You also need a heavy hammer and some very strong rope, maybe some old winch rope or mule tape. Pound in 1 post where you need the anchor, angling it away from the stuck truck. Pound in the 2d one a few feet behind the 1st. Use the rope to lash the top of the 1st to the bottom of the 2d. Attach your winch cable to the bottom of the 1st one.

This is a great idea.

Regards,

Tom
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 222Sako, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,467 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,608
Posts18,492,398
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.