Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Randall,
Don't forget to get yourself in shape. The more in shape you are, the more enjoyable your hunt will be.
Have fun and take lots of pictures.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
After many trips to Limpopo I wear leather Footjoy golf shoes w/o the synthetic spikes. Have used running shoes but the leather will protect the sides of your feet from the 2.5 inch thorns which are commonly found there. Also the golf shoes have a very hard sole which keeps said thorns from sticking into your foot from the bottom. Most boots are susceptible to that.
Even in their winter warmth is no issue.
Used same footwear throughout Namibia and other areas in RSA. perfect.

Last edited by RinB; 07/30/18.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought new boots that were not insulated nor had Gore-tex for my trip but they were not necessary. If I had to do it over again I would have just taken my well-worn Georgia crepe sole work boots. I wore shorts most of the time and some home made gaiters. I bought three sets of the real ones at the gun store in Windhoek. I had no problems with seeds or anything. I thing the brand is sock savers or similar.

I never had to climb a hill, I never needed more traction that a cowboy boot would have given me. It was bone dry and very temperate. We had minus 1 to minus 3 most mornings and it was 15-16 by mid day, perfect weather for shorts and shirtsleeves. We had a few very windy days and I wore a jacket some on those days. I had way too many clothes but didn't know what to expect.

Unless you are going mountain hunting, pretty much any shoe/boot will work.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I always used my Wolverine leather, pull on boots, uninsulated and no gore tex as you described Dennis. I did climb mountains chasing mountain zebras and they worked fine there too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Randall,
Don't forget to get yourself in shape. The more in shape you are, the more enjoyable your hunt will be.
Have fun and take lots of pictures.

Black tailer....i am in shape!

Round is a shape right?? Hahahahaha

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I second what rinb has said about a good tough sole, those thorns are wicked. A good leather upper with a tough sole .

My only experience has been in Namibia but I think those bloody thorns are everywhere.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Randal--I bought a pair of Lowa Renegades and a pair of Merrell MOAB's, both worked fine. Practice off sticks as much as you can. Good luck!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Sako76
Randal--I bought a pair of Lowa Renegades and a pair of Merrell MOAB's, both worked fine. Practice off sticks as much as you can. Good luck!

Thanks Bob! I just bought a pair of Danner’s from Cabela’s last weekend. Actually wore them to work 2 days this past week as i continue to get them broken in. I’ll be at my camp next weekend working on shooting a deer target off of shooting sticks at 100yds.

Randall

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TexasShooter
Originally Posted by Pancho1
Any good quality hiking boot should be fine. You won't need "insulation" but you might want to invest in some gaitors to keep the seeds and ticks out.

Good advice.

\agreed. also I think he should post more often. smile

D
D
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
[quote=Blacktailer]Randall,
Black tailer....i am in shape!
Round is a shape right?? Hahahahaha

True dat.
Don’t forget to post some pics when u get back.
Good luck!
Dan G.
Lake Charles

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,782
Posts18,477,172
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.