Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh I dress like a guy on a golfing holiday not a ninja swat play-soldier. I think that helps.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just got back Wednesday. No problems. Used Bruce from Graceys on the way over and checked guns all the way through from Windhoek on the way back. Got stuck in a part of the airport where the help counters were. No Delta agents on duty. Wouldn't let us through without a fresh boarding pass. Had to wait for them to show up (our layover was 4 hours or so).

I thought the City Lodge hotel was a nice touch but would have rather not had to check my rifles there just to go to Namibia. I'll never fly the Atlanta-J'bg flight again. It took me 2 hours to clear customs with my rifles on the way back. It takes 5 minutes in Phx or Douglas. Too many hunters on that flight and it bogs things down.

Everyone in J'bg had their hand out for money. I had to fight a porter off on the way to the hotel. Just be firm and don't give in. They hit my buddy for $10 to get out of the [bleep]. He was pretty hot after that.

The ladies in the gun clearing room were lobbying for $$. They even asked for it! I think I gave them $2. I didn't have to bribe anyone in Namibia.

I didn't take ammo home and this streamlined things.

The Americans were the worst in my opinion; heavy handed and ransacked my luggage.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Used Travel With Guns for everything in June on way to Namibia. They booked the meet and greet and Africa Sky. Easy/breezy.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Guys i dont mean to hijack the OP’s thread but just wondering if companies like Air2000, African Sky and Gracy Travel only help book complete trips meaning airfare, meet and greet, guns/luggage or can you use them if you airfare is already booked? I will be heading to SA in 40 days and booked my flight thru Delta almost a year ago. At the time i didnt know anything about any of these companies. I think i like the idea of using them for firearm shipping and meet and greet. Is this possible for people like myself who already have airfare paid for otherwise? Thanks

Randall

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Guys i dont mean to hijack the OP’s thread but just wondering if companies like Air2000, African Sky and Gracy Travel only help book complete trips meaning airfare, meet and greet, guns/luggage or can you use them if you airfare is already booked? I will be heading to SA in 40 days and booked my flight thru Delta almost a year ago. At the time i didnt know anything about any of these companies. I think i like the idea of using them for firearm shipping and meet and greet. Is this possible for people like myself who already have airfare paid for otherwise? Thanks

Randall

Air2000 and Riflepermits.com will help anyone. Africa Sky and Afton House, both have the permit service, but not sure if it's available if you don't stay with them. Gracy and Travel with Guns are both travel agents, not sure if they will help if you don't buy your tickets from them.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Randall

Use Air 2000 with complete confidence. They have been around nearly 30 years and know the ropes. Yes they will help you as their business is rifle permits, meet & greet, drivers and internal Africa charter flights. Call them and set it up. Well worth it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks guys!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't use Afton House, Mr. X lost my rifle permits and I was at the SAPs Office for a long time!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I borrow or rent a rifle for all my overseas hunts. Unless you're on the trip to test and write an article about a particular rifle/bullet/powder/whatever, or just really want to use a particular rifle for whatever reason, I see no downside to renting one. I guess dangerous game would be an exception, since you'll really want to be comfortable with your rifle.

Lots of people have no problems getting through firearms control at the JoBerg Airport, but I know enough people with nightmare stories about it to steer away. I guess it is luck of the draw as to who is working the counter when you get there. The meet and greet services could substantially cut this risk I guess. I know one guy who supposedly had the transporter's vehicle broken into and the guns were stolen when they stopped at a gift shop somewhere. Holy jesus.....what would you do then? I know that's a RARE case but with South Africa's gun laws, I fully intend to keep renting rifles on any future trip I go on there.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
“I guess dangerous game would be an exception “?? Not really. 2 elephants, 2 buffalo, 3 hippo, 2 crocs, and a leopard with camp rifles ( not to mention a boatload of plains game) has taught me that it is the shooter and not the rifle. I can hit a nail with any hammer- I don’t need my own...... Now it’s time for the “ if I can’t hunt with my own rifle I won’t go “ crowd to chime in.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure most of time an unfamiliar rifle would be fine, but having no experience with Africa's dangerous game, it's not a gamble I would take.

I suspect LOTS of others WITH dangerous game experience would also disagree with you on that point, but maybe not. We'll see I guess.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AB2506

Randall

Use Air 2000 with complete confidence. They have been around nearly 30 years and know the ropes. Yes they will help you as their business is rifle permits, meet & greet, drivers and internal Africa charter flights. Call them and set it up. Well worth it.

I’ve tried calling the +27 number that is listed online for Air 2000 several times with no answer. Guess i’ll Keep trying.

Randall

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Call or e-mail riflepermits. Used them last time and using them again in 10 days.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jdollar
. Now it’s time for the “ if I can’t hunt with my own rifle I won’t go “ crowd to chime in.

And here I am...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AB2506

Randall

I’ve tried calling the +27 number that is listed online for Air 2000 several times with no answer. Guess i’ll Keep trying.

Randall

Email is probably best bet for communication. Anne always replied promptly to my inquiries.

He went over yonder way
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (01Foreman400, Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.