-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We agree on respecting them, and not hating them.

I even felt remorse for killing them. Especially when I would kill 3-500 anually as a govt hunter. I didn't hate them atall.

They are excellent predators. More like "survivors and adapters", because they eat whatever they can. Not just kill.

I didn't mean that you were on the other side. But the coexisting you mention is one of the coyote hugger groups main sayings.

www.projectcoyote.org

Project Coyote seeks to stop the wanton and cruel killing of native carnivores, to reform predator management, to create successful models of coexistence, and to …

Again, I don't think you are one of these nutjobs. But they are around. Especially in Las Cruces. I seen and had to deal with them there.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
We agree on respecting them, and not hating them.

I even felt remorse for killing them. Especially when I would kill 3-500 anually as a govt hunter. I didn't hate them atall.

They are excellent predators. More like "survivors and adapters", because they eat whatever they can. Not just kill.

I didn't mean that you were on the other side. But the coexisting you mention is one of the coyote hugger groups main sayings.

www.projectcoyote.org

Project Coyote seeks to stop the wanton and cruel killing of native carnivores, to reform predator management, to create successful models of coexistence, and to …

Again, I don't think you are one of these nutjobs. But they are around. Especially in Las Cruces. I seen and had to deal with them there.

LOL, luckily I havent run into them yet because I don't run in their circles, but I was warned about them by a buddy who has lived here and out your way his whole life. I actually live directly across from a flaming lib who is a university professor here at the college. Surprisingly she’s actually a pretty decent person despite her political leanings. So far we’ve managed to avoid this particular topic though. grin

Last edited by Dryfly24; 07/19/18.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shoot the coyotes. We're starting to get a bunch of them now and they've ruined my hunting spot. The problem we have in our neighborhood is the damn foxes. There were two litters living in old groundhog holes in my neighbor's back yard. One day I counted 9. I first saw them right about the time the deer were dropping fawns. The neighborhood turned into a killing field. In the past couple of months I counted carcasses of 4 fawns, 5 geese, a rabbit and a skunk around my house. One of my neighbors lost 8 chickens. Most of the foxes have moved on, but we still have a few hanging around and they now have mange. several of my neighbors are pushing me to shoot them, but there's too many houses. Plus you don't see them much in daylight hours now.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Knock the off and leave them lay in the field. Parents should show up eventually.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
It's funny how the same guys you hear talking about how stupid anti hunters are for thinking nature is like a Disney movie, yada, yada, are the same ones that find it disturbing with the methods coyotes employ to make a kill. I don't give a fug about coyotes ripping deer apart, that's what they were designed to do. Should they be carrying an aught-six slung across their backs?

The other one I have a hard time with is how they are wiping out the deer herds. I call bullshit on that one too. Yote's and deer have been coexisting for hundreds of thousands of years but now all of sudden the coyotes are going to drive them to extinction?

Lest someone misconstrue my meaning, I don't have a problem with killing coyotes. Shoot em to your hearts content. But they aren't evil and IMO they deserve our respect just like any other animal does. Matter of fact I respect them more than I do deer because they are predators and damn good ones at that so I feel a kinship with them I don't feel for prey animals.

But that's just me. It's ok to disagree. Feel free to rejoice in your blind hatred of one of natures finest designs. . . laugh

Drive up the mountain past Cloudcroft headed east.

When you get to Mayhill turn right and go up to Miller's Flats. Keep going to Weed, and then circle around through Sacramento, Timberon, and back to Cloudcroft from there.

Let us know how many deer you see on that circle.

Don't give me that BS about coyotes and deer living in harmony. It's about numbers. When coyote numbers get high, deer numbers get low. The area up there, they have been dangerously low. Anyone that has been in YOUR area for a long enough period of time have seen deer populations dwindle to the dangerously low levels. Why do you think NMGF went to a draw?

It's a matter of whether you want lots of deer or lots of predators. Since you say you prefer the predators, then fine. That's your opinion, and you are welcome to it. But with what you typed above with the coexisting, it makes you sound more like an anti-hunter than anyone else in this thread. wink

Used to see lots on that circle in the 80s. Even maybe into the 90s.

I love watching yote pups. They are fun to watch. I don't kill em all. Never have, likely never will. But we do keep em in check as needed. Other places than ours the numbers are so high that you shoot everyone you see, hoping to thin the numbers.

OTOH I"ve read some stuff, who knows if right or not, that the more you kill the more move in. Doesn't make sense to me. We have to kill a few every so many years, or they will start on our deer, and we have more deer now than we've ever had. But for the most part I know all of our local does and I have yet to see a fawn lost to a yote. IE missing. OTOH vehicles are hell on the deer and fawns.

Down were Barry lives, its that kind of country that you shoot em all, cause you probably won't see but 20% or so of whats really out there anyway.

a shame if the yotes have affected the mule deer there in NM. Never saw a yote while out there, but evidently thats changed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
[quote=rockinbbar]
Used to see lots on that circle in the 80s. Even maybe into the 90s.

I love watching yote pups. They are fun to watch. I don't kill em all. Never have, likely never will. But we do keep em in check as needed. Other places than ours the numbers are so high that you shoot everyone you see, hoping to thin the numbers.

OTOH I"ve read some stuff, who knows if right or not, that the more you kill the more move in. Doesn't make sense to me. We have to kill a few every so many years, or they will start on our deer, and we have more deer now than we've ever had. But for the most part I know all of our local does and I have yet to see a fawn lost to a yote. IE missing. OTOH vehicles are hell on the deer and fawns.

Down were Barry lives, its that kind of country that you shoot em all, cause you probably won't see but 20% or so of whats really out there anyway.

a shame if the yotes have affected the mule deer there in NM. Never saw a yote while out there, but evidently thats changed.

Jeff, year there used to be LOTS of deer in that area.

Couple of things contributed to the declines we have now.

First thing was lots of predator control by the sheep and cattle ranchers in Otero County. There were lots of ranchers in the sheep business. Last I heard, there was only ONE left. They have been driven out for lack of predator control, same as the deer.

Second is that the most effective predator control was Compound 1080. When that was banned it resulted in major coyote population explosion. Compound 1080 was responsible for 80% of all coyote control.

80% shocked

Another big factor in that neck of the woods are larger predators. Lions mostly.

Unlike Texas which doesn't regulate hunting lions, NMGF sells lion licenses by the thousands. It's about the money to them.

Back when there were plenty of deer up there in NM, you didn't shoot the first 10 point you saw. Because you'd probably see 3-4 bigger ones before the day was out.

Now it's hard to even find a legal buck in the 5 day season they give you.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shoot all the coyotes you want, in the big picture it won't matter. Incidental shooting and recreational hunting has little effect on coyote populations long term overall. Also, to truly help deer the time to kill those coyotes is during the fawning time period and few people are hunting coyotes in spring and summer. To have a long term effect on coyotes you need to kill about 70% of the coyotes population and sustain that for five or more years. Incidental shooting and recreational hunters aren't going to do that. It feels good, like you're really saving some game animals by killing a coyote when you can, reality is that it really doesn't matter much.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If there are neither foxes nor coyotes in the area the skunks will move in fast.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Gotta love this site. It's hilarious. Type anything that can be misconstrued even a bit against the tide and immediately get labeled one of the "other side". C'mon man, you're better than that.

Since you took what I said out of context, let me make it clear once again: respect coyotes for the predators they are. Doesn't mean you have to hate them. They are wonders of nature. Excellent predators, their design honed by thousands of years of success. There is a lot to admire there. Think about it, then shoot as many as you can. That's what I do. I didn't spend 500 dollars on a caller for nothing.

Yes coyotes and deer evolved together. The numbers and balance are off because of man's interference in the eco system so we now have to be the great equalizer and as the alpha predator it is now our responsibility, but it wasn't always that way. They did evolve together and didn't mutually self destruct when everything was in balance.

Things are different now, So yes, we should kill as many as we can but there is still no reason to hate them because they do what they were designed to do. They are just animals acting out of instinct with no malice intended. We humans on the other hand, for all our intellect, can and do act out of malice quite often.

Gotta love how you deliberately provoked a response with a post laced with contempt and then pounced on the reply. You exaggerated others' positions and feigned superiority over them. Awfully full of your self. Obviously, those previous hundreds of thousands of years didn't include the current U.S. population and reduced habitat for deer, but you conveniently included it in your followup here ... after you got the response you trolled for. Congratulations on your superior knowledge and discernment with which you graced us with. It certainly didn't in anyway challenge the veracity of any point I made in my post, nor in anyone else's. You go girl.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Gotta love this site. It's hilarious. Type anything that can be misconstrued even a bit against the tide and immediately get labeled one of the "other side". C'mon man, you're better than that.

Since you took what I said out of context, let me make it clear once again: respect coyotes for the predators they are. Doesn't mean you have to hate them. They are wonders of nature. Excellent predators, their design honed by thousands of years of success. There is a lot to admire there. Think about it, then shoot as many as you can. That's what I do. I didn't spend 500 dollars on a caller for nothing.

Yes coyotes and deer evolved together. The numbers and balance are off because of man's interference in the eco system so we now have to be the great equalizer and as the alpha predator it is now our responsibility, but it wasn't always that way. They did evolve together and didn't mutually self destruct when everything was in balance.

Things are different now, So yes, we should kill as many as we can but there is still no reason to hate them because they do what they were designed to do. They are just animals acting out of instinct with no malice intended. We humans on the other hand, for all our intellect, can and do act out of malice quite often.

Gotta love how you deliberately provoked a response with a post laced with contempt and then pounced on the reply. You exaggerated others' positions and feigned superiority over them. Awfully full of your self. Obviously, those previous hundreds of thousands of years didn't include the current U.S. population and reduced habitat for deer, but you conveniently included it in your followup here ... after you got the response you trolled for. Congratulations on your superior knowledge and discernment with which you graced us with. It certainly didn't in anyway challenge the veracity of any point I made in my post, nor in anyone else's. You go girl.

Apparently reading comprehension is not your strong suit. LOL, if anybody’s full of themselves it’s you. I don’t even know what you posted and what I wrote had nothing to do with your bullshit, although you chose to interject. So anyway, welcome to my ignore list. I’m sure you and Paddler will be very happy there. grin

Now GFY... wink

Last edited by Dryfly24; 07/19/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Shoot all the coyotes you want, in the big picture it won't matter. Incidental shooting and recreational hunting has little effect on coyote populations long term overall. Also, to truly help deer the time to kill those coyotes is during the fawning time period and few people are hunting coyotes in spring and summer. To have a long term effect on coyotes you need to kill about 70% of the coyotes population and sustain that for five or more years. Incidental shooting and recreational hunters aren't going to do that. It feels good, like you're really saving some game animals by killing a coyote when you can, reality is that it really doesn't matter much.

Lots of silly posts in this thread but this ain't one of em.

Shoot em if you want to but don't kid yourself into thinking that you're saving the Deer population.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,327
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.