Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
rylee1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just got some whole sockeye from great alaska seafood company and looking for a good recipe to smoke one or two of them.

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I do a lot of salmon from the great lakes. This is a good and simple recipe. You want to taste the salmon so too many ingredients wreck the fish.

1. 4 cups water
2. 1 cup soy sauce
3. 3/4 cup brown sugar
4. 1/4 cup kosher salt
5. 3/4 tablespoon granulated garlic
6. And any aromatics you are a fan of

After brining overnight, rinse, put the fish on the rack plan to smoke them on and pat dry with paper towel. Wick up ant fluids in pockets. Then set the fish in from of a fan. You want to develop a pellicle. (this is important if you want a quality product)

Drying the fish before smoking gives a nice coat for the smoked fillets to help seal in moisture, and provides a better looking finished product . This will take 30 to 45 minutes.
Smoke as long as you like (everybody has a different idea of firmness/dryness but the fish should spend at least 30 minutes at 160 degrees. Too hot and too fast and the fish will form mucky yellowish pools of goo in cracks in the fish. Low and slow is best. Im a fan of smoking with the skin on to keep the fish moist. I like a very dry product. It flakes best and makes a good spread on crackers when mixed with cream cheese and Miracle Whip and chives and a dash of "Whats-in-this-here-sauce". wink

Do yourself a favor and use hickory, Maple or alder. A thin blue smoke and several hours.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sharp_things; 07/24/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rylee, here ya go. Lards recipes, simple and excellent!
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've used both a wet brine and a dry rub and prefer a dry rub consisting of salt and brown sugar. Some like to add other spices (onion powder, garlic, pepper, etc.), but I keep it simple. I've seen recommendations for equal parts salt and sugar to 1 part salt / 2 parts sugar (which is what I use). Completely cover the flesh side of the fillets stacking them if needed and refrigerate. Some say 2 -3 hours is long enough, but I do it overnight which pulls out a lot of moisture. Rinse the fillets and let dry on a rack (I go around 4 hours), then I smoke at 150 - 170 for 2 - 4 hours.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Judman
Rylee, here ya go. Lards recipes, simple and excellent!
[Linked Image]

Yep, or

[Linked Image]

Linky: https://heygrillhey.com/hot-smoked-salmon-maple-orange-glaze/

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sharp_things
It flakes best and makes a good spread on crackers when mixed with cream cheese and Miracle Whip and chives and a dash of "Whats-in-this-here-sauce". wink

Do yourself a favor and use hickory, Maple or alder. A thin blue smoke and several hours.

sharp_things

Your recipe looks like a great one for brining and your fish looks wonderful in the pics.

But Miracle Whip? shocked On such good fish? eek

THE HORROR!!

Please, you shouldn't be posting that for newbies to the smoked salmon game! wink

Geno

PS Oh well, to each their own I guess. Just pullin' your chain. grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
rylee 1,

not sure if you have access to alder, but I love it for smoking fish.

Generally, I just do a quick rinse in rather salty water, pat dry, let dry a bit more, then smoke over alder wood. maybe a medium heat smoke. No overnight brining, no sweet or vinegary stuff.

I prefer the taste of the fish just as it is.

Thousands of "Native American" or "First Nations" folks did it that way for thousands of years. I've found it good enough for me. smile

Geno

PS, I eat a lot of raw fish, so you may want to take my tastes into consideration! laugh

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
It flakes best and makes a good spread on crackers when mixed with cream cheese and Miracle Whip and chives and a dash of "Whats-in-this-here-sauce". wink

sharp_things

Your recipe looks like a great one for brining and your fish looks wonderful in the pics.

But Miracle Whip? shocked On such good fish? eek

THE HORROR!!

Please, you shouldn't be posting that for newbies to the smoked salmon game! wink

Geno

PS Oh well, to each their own I guess. Just pullin' your chain. grin

The MW is for a cracker spread AFTER the fish has been smoked. MW pretty much makes everything better.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sharp,

MW as you call it, should never have been brought into existence!

Not even for cracker spread. frown

and it's worse that the cracker spread involved some nice fish. crazy

wink grin

Geno

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not everybody has such refined tastes. Some people actually tolerate mayo. Hahahahahahahaha. (aka donkey splooge)

Perhaps some have not done something worthy of treating themselves to the tangy zip of Miracle Whip.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know a person who did water tests on all the great lakes " all 5 " Michigan lake has a lot of human feces in the lower half of that lake so I won`t eat salmon from that lake anymore "ICK",but if its from lake superior its fine. but the finest tasting salmon I have ever ate is from Alaska.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"The main difference between Miracle Whip and mayonnaise are the sweeteners: high-fructose corn syrup and sugar are the fourth and fifth ingredients, respectively, of Miracle Whip."

Yeah, that makes me wanna gag !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"On the surface, Miracle Whip seems to be a healthier choice than mayonnaise because of its reduced fat content. However, an argument can be made that it is more processed and less natural than mayonnaise. The ingredient list includes modified food starch, artificial color, high fructose corn syrup, and potassium sorbate."

http://www.howstuffcompares.com/doc/m/mayonnaise-vs-miracle-whip.htm

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You don't have to sell me on MW. Im already a fan.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another thread pissed on by the saggy eyed douche.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No doubt. Only person ive ever had in ignore. Thread is littered with the ignore tag.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It is alotta nicer only person I’ve ever had on ignore as well.... hopefully rick will pull the plug pretty quick

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Miracle Whip. Shoot me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah. I don't care what other goofs think. (never have. This should have been made clear by now)

We got guys that eat schit like mayo and grits and okra and biscuits and gravy and other non-food items trying to convince folks mayo is food. (like I would give a damn)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't waste my time with the pouting either. Aint nobody go time for that. wink

Like dealing with a bunch of teen girls.

When I gave the guy the definitive smoked fish instructions the thread was over at that point. There wasn't a need for any other posts so I told him how to make a salmon spread using some of the smoked fish and twats got all twatty. wink

Last edited by sharp_things; 07/25/18.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah. I don't care what other goofs think. (never have. This should have been made clear by now)

We got guys that eat schit like mayo and grits and okra and biscuits and gravy and other non-food items trying to convince folks mayo is food. (like I would give a damn)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't waste my time with the pouting either. Aint nobody go time for that. wink

Like dealing with a bunch of teen girls.

When I gave the guy the definitive smoked fish instructions the thread was over at that point. There wasn't a need for any other posts so I told him how to make a salmon spread and twats got all twatty. wink

sharp,

Gettin' pretty testy there, eh? All over your favorite (?) condiment. whistle wink

Not to worry, I'd probably eat the MW if I needed to make a tuna sammich and there was no mayo in the fridge.

Now, back on topic:

Your smoked fish instructions were quite definitive. I hope the OP tries them and gets back to us to let us know how it went.

If we should ever meet, I'd try your version for sure.!

Geno

In it is contentment

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,090 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,501
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.