Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Took the 20 mile trip to Cabelas at noon today and the last 14 miles are on the expressway. I've never seen so many semi trucks on both side of the road going down and coming back.

They must be hauling a bunch of goods - MAGA!

Last edited by tpcollins; 07/24/18.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We are trying to hire two, but can’t find anyone worth a cshit or pass a drug test.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I read something about the many thousands of good paying truck driving jobs that are out there waiting for qualified drivers. A small industry is growing just training them. The drug test issue is huge, though. No company can hire a driver who can't pass it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The interstates are packed with trucks all hours of the day. Never seen anything like it.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Really?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by hanco
We are trying to hire two, but can’t find anyone worth a cshit or pass a drug test.

Just discussing this over the weekend. People won't give up their dope even for a $50/ hr job in the construction field.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pat85

Just discussing this over the weekend. People won't give up their dope even for a $50/ hr job in the construction field.

People need to get back to drinking and cigarettes. We have a country’s economy at stake. Ha!

"Maybe we're all happy."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Problem being that it's just too damn easy to live off welfare. Why work when you dont have to?

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+ 1,000. kids are finding they can knock up a gal get her on welfare then live of her. These are white kids.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have noticed that there are a lot more semis on the road the last few years. There are more now than in 2008. The trains are going back and forth a lot more too. Oil and lumber seems the most common on the trains. Trucks seem to be hauling everything.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've noticed more inexperienced drivers lately.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a driver tell me today that they have several trailer loads of goods sitting in their warehouse every day that they can't move. They just don't have enough drivers. Plus they have drivers on vacation.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am a retired Truck Driver with over a Million Miles..... No accidents...No freight clams ever and never had a moving violation in a big rig ......I will come out of retirement for 40 Dollars a Hour for all Hours away from Home and Full medical benefits for me and the wife... grin

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's an article from the WAPO n May about the driver shortage. It says that when it was written, there were about 51K jobs needing drivers and many paid 80k or more. On the other side, it talks about the pitfalls of the job. One big one is divorce caused by never being home.
DRIVER SHORTAGE

Years ago, I worked for a couple major freightlines. I was in the office most of the time but often drove local pickup and delivery. The line drivers were set up so they were never gone more than 1 night. They'd drive 8 hours to a relay point, meet a driver from the other end, swap rigs, and return home after their mandatory rest.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The younger generations are just absolutely worthless. More than half were raised in single-parent households mostly by females.They are the first two generations that DIDN'T get their asses whipped when needed. Discipline (by female care givers) was inconsistent and based more on emotions of the moment rather than rules and consequences. None of them were taught a work ethic. Most of them are selfish, spoiled brats. None of them have the tools to meet and overcome simple everyday challenges in life. We need a purge....a plague, a cataclysm that will rebalance the Darwinian books.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no driver shortage. There's a shortage of willing idiots to sign up for today's mega-truck work for peanuts and never be home employment model. Drivers are hired and micro managed, and paid only by the mile. Sit for three days? Too bad, no check for you.....

How micromanaged? Drivers are given EXACT turn by turn directions, and deviating is a write up offense. They are given "fuel solutions", i.e. stop at this Loves, get 53 gallons, drive 240 miles to this next Loves, and buy 78 gallons. No consideration or pay for the drivers time to fuel, get off the highway, etc. But, it saves two pennies on fuel, so instead of taking on 230 gallons at once, they are made to fuel four, five times. Tail light out? No, you aren't allowed to change the tail light. Wait for the service truck to come out and change it. Which could be five hours...

Home time? Typically you get one day for every 10 to 14 days on the road. At the convenience of the trucking company. When it's convenient. Holidays? Shouldn't have become a truck driver. All that, living out of the truck with all expenses associated with that for maybe 40 or 50K a year.

Average driver turn over for the large fleet typically exceeds 100% per year. There's not shortage of drivers. There's a shortage of idiots willing to do the job.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You are correct, sir!
I drive an big rig and I am in Cat Spring Texas right now at the TA truck stop. Taking a load of refrigerators from Mexico up to the big Lowe's distribution center in Adairsville Ga.

Yes, we truckers are the pulse of the American economy and truck driving is booming.
I got in to the industry in early 2011. I learned that there was a big crash in trucking in 2008, went along with the big recession. A quarter million drivers lost their jobs in that year, and the next. Many mom n pop truck stops closed down.
The trucking boom started to pick up in 2010, the year my brother got into the business. Next year I joined him and the boom has been on ever since! Big time.

No truck stops have closed since in the past 7 years but a bunch of new ones have opened, I know of 11 new Loves that have been built, and they ain't cheap.

When trucking is up, it is a clear indicator that the economy is up.

[Linked Image]
Here I am last month in Evergreen Alabama in good 'ole SL1100.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"How micromanaged? Drivers are given EXACT turn by turn directions, and deviating is a write up offense. They are given "fuel solutions", i.e. stop at this Loves, get 53 gallons, drive 240 miles to this next Loves, and buy 78 gallons. No consideration or pay for the drivers time to fuel, get off the highway, etc. But, it saves two pennies on fuel, so instead of taking on 230 gallons at once, they are made to fuel four, five times. Tail light out? No, you aren't allowed to change the tail light. Wait for the service truck to come out and change it. Which could be five hours..."

I don't know what f*cked up company you have been working for, dutch, but I wouldn't work for them, either. I am given no directions as to which roads to take, I pick my own route.
Yes we get fuel solutions but they are reasonable. If I think the fuel solution is unreasonable, I pick my own. Has to be a Love's, or a Flying J, or a Pilot. No problem if decide on my own fuel solution.

"Home time? Typically you get one day for every 10 to 14 days on the road. At the convenience of the trucking company. When it's convenient. Holidays? Shouldn't have become a truck driver. All that, living out of the truck with all expenses associated with that for maybe 40 or 50K a year. "

I am with you on the home time, but I get more than that. I stay out 14 days and then get 2 days off. That is really a bitch and I need to get more home time. In fact in a few months I am going to tell the boss that I have to have 3 days off, if he won't give it to me then I will be gone.
However I am sure he will give me the three days because they are short on drivers and I am a good driver.
I don't make $40K I make $70K. A hell of a lot more than I would make being a construction worker in my home county, Madison County NC.

I work for a middle-tier company, some jobs are better than mine and some are worse. I never get stuck somewhere for more than a few hours. What company are you talking about, dutch, I will be sure to stay away from them.

Mine is a middle-tier job, some companies are a lot better. At Wal Mart you stay out 5 days and are off for 2, and good benefits, for $85K. The WalMart driver does a lot less work than I do, for a lot more pay.
UPS and FedEx pay even more and have good benefits. All three of those are great jobs.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
I will come out of retirement for 40 Dollars a Hour for all Hours away from Home and Full medical benefits for me and the wife... grin

If companies are willing to pay enough the workers will be there. Those complaining that they can't hire drivers are wanting to pay them a pittance. If you pay enough you'll find workers, simple economics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.