Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Valsdad
sharp,

Gettin' pretty testy there, eh? All over your favorite (?) condiment. whistle wink

Not to worry, I'd probably eat the MW if I needed to make a tuna sammich and there was no mayo in the fridge.

Now, back on topic:

Your smoked fish instructions were quite definitive. I hope the OP tries them and gets back to us to let us know how it went.

If we should ever meet, I'd try your version for sure.!

Geno

Actually Geno, it's a less-than-ideal brine and pics of overcooked, baked fish sticks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Simple brine is best.

1 - 1 1/2 cup noniodized salt (depending on salt preference)
2 cups sugar
1 gallon H2O

Mix brine and put in freezer until VERY cold, then brine fish.

90 minute soak.

Remove; rinse & drain; put on oiled racks skinside down. Blot dry. Allow pellicle to form.

Smoke to preference. use only alder for smoked salmon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some salt, sugar, pepper, and maybe some soy sauce. There are may recipes that would have Martha Stewart rummaging in the pantry and wine cellar for hours to scrounge all the ingredients. The subtleties of 28 herbs and spices pretty much get lost after a little smoking. The KISS principle applies.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Simple brine is best.

2 cups sugar
1 gallon H2O

90 minute soak.

Remove; rinse & drain; put on oiled racks skinside down. Blot dry. Allow pellicle to form.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I remember my sister's Easy Bake Oven. It looked like that tiny aluminum mail box. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Nice looking jerky / chips but yours is way to dry. We are talking about smoked fish (salmon), not chips. I'll bet that batch fed 1 person . I can just hear them brittle bites snap and crunch as you eat them. HAHA.

Last edited by sharp_things; 07/25/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny;

This........

[Linked Image]

does not look anywhere near as "baked" as your Schidte !

[Linked Image]

Ya fuggin Knob !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
does not look anywhere near as "baked" as your Schidte !

[Linked Image]

Yes, you really are dumber than you sound. Those salmon were out of this world. Moist and firm and sweet with great smoke. You should try smoking fish once. Its a lot of fun.

What a douche. Speaking of that, you may want to use a brine made if vinegar and water. (akin to something you would use on a summer's eve) wink

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Iron bender.....could a person buy some salmon from the store and smoke it in the fashion you have shown here?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gotta love those Chief smokers. Cheap, practical design that has been around forever getting the job done. Need to find me another one at a garage sale or flea market.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Simple brine is best.

2 cups sugar
1 gallon H2O

90 minute soak.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Alaskan for the win.

It really is just as simple as a brown sugar and canning salt brine, and alder smoke.

I run a fan on the flapper door where you load in the wood chip pan for a few hours to help the pellicle form, then find 5 hours with one full pan of chips does the trick.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Iron bender.....could a person buy some salmon from the store and smoke it in the fashion you have shown here?

I don’t see why not Jim. Salmon available in Blaine Co. ?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Gotta love those Chief smokers. Cheap, practical design that has been around forever getting the job done. Need to find me another one at a garage sale or flea market.

They don’t t have the “cool factor” perhaps, but they get the job done.

After all, it’s about the technique. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thanks Paul.

As you know, and for full disclosure, the recipe I posted is from Sitka deer.

I used to struggle with the brine concentration vs time previous to that. It was always edible, but no batch-to-batch consistency. Some were better than others.

That method nails it perfectly every time.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They don’t t have the “cool factor” perhaps, but they get the job done.

After all, it’s about the technique. wink

Agreed.....regardless of whether it's stamped aluminum or a wooden contraption made by a blow hard it's just a box to contain smoke.
I had a chief smoker that served me well for 20+ years until it finally died and now that I'm on my sausage making adventure I'm sure I'll eventually end up with another one. The only problem I had with mine was trying to use it outside in the dead of winter but that's hardly a big deal.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Agreed.....regardless of whether it's stamped aluminum or a excellently designed, wooden marvel made by a clearly experienced smoker it's just a box to contain smoke.

I had a chief smoker that served me well for 20+ years until it finally died and now that I'm on my sausage making adventure I'm sure I'll eventually end up with another one. The only problem I had with mine was trying to use it outside in the dead of winter but that's hardly a big deal.

Here in the greatest of the 50 states it gets dam cold and I do a lot of smoking in the winter months so that "excellently designed, wooden marvel as you called it, incorporates lots of insulation. That disposable aluminum mailbox thingy (aside from being far to small to bother with) is not insulated. It sure is cute though, Almost like a real smoker. Something that a city boy would use to smoke a small snack. wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Foil backed insulation is what I used on mine in the winter when I had my last one in the 90’s.

Just made my own blanket that slipped over and had cut outs, flaps in the right areas.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info dick head.
I'm sure that since IB lives in Alaska a Wisconsin yankee can teach him a lot about cold weather.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I'm sure that since IB lives in Alaska a Wisconsin yankee can teach him a lot about cold weather.

Clearly. Based on the easy bake oven he made those jerky/chips in, he can use some guidance. Thats the first time Ive see fish flavored fruit roll-ups.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the info dick head.

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Foil backed insulation is what I used on mine in the winter when I had my last one in the 90’s.

Just made my own blanket that slipped over and had cut outs, flaps in the right areas.

Age-old method - save the box and invert it over the smoker. People have been doing that since Chiefs were developed. I've smoked into the single digits.

Of course losers will bluster attempting to not lose. Unsuccessfully, if only obviously.

And another thing. When a brown bear tears it apart, there isn't a large investment lost.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
good smoking size. a few miles out. This would fill a few easy bake ovens.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 29aholic, 264mag, 31 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,492
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.