Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Join the Navy.
Go see the world, you may not get another chance!
Learn a trade that you can use.

But get it in writing...

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
What major is he considering if he goes the college route?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lets talk fundamentals. If you want to sleep in a hole in the ground because some prick of a Corporal told you to, then join the army. Otherwise, join the Navy. smile

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 07/25/18.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by EdM

Most likely Criminal Justice. He has one cousin (my nephew) that's a police officer in CA and another one about to go into the academy in CA. He'd be interested in going that route but I'm not sure about that plan considering the current environment.

He just finished summer baseball and is interning at a local meat packing plant full time until school starts (mowing lawns when he gets home wink ) so he can assist the maintenance crew that works on the refrigeration/robots. Will hopefully get a good glimpse into HVAC/Refrigeration/Electrical/Robotics while he's there.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Might be good to get a little time growing first, say until 19, before going in. Never helps to be the youngest recruit in the unit. After that, he can pick anything that interests him. I would stay away from the combat arms (infantry, artillery, armor) unless he wants to go into aviation and can qualify. Army still takes non-college grads into the Warrant Officer Flight Program. Best of both worlds. 11 months of flight and officer training at an E-5's pay, a black stripe down your pants, flight pay, and a skill you can carry to civilian life. Plus, you learn that some laws transcend military rank, i.e. gravity. Goes a long way to a good perspective on life. Get out after 10 years (your skills and experience are at their peak) and fly with the Guard on weekends while you do what you want with a civilian career. Retire from the Guard after 20 and draw a pension and TriCare health coverage, for life, after reaching age 60. Not a bad gig.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

Or this:

https://www.armytimes.com/news/2018...rmored-vehicle-from-national-guard-base/

I believe he was an O2. It might be hard to make O3, now....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by EdM

Most likely Criminal Justice. He has one cousin (my nephew) that's a police officer in CA and another one about to go into the academy in CA. He'd be interested in going that route but I'm not sure about that plan considering the current environment.

He just finished summer baseball and is interning at a local meat packing plant full time until school starts (mowing lawns when he gets home wink ) so he can assist the maintenance crew that works on the refrigeration/robots. Will hopefully get a good glimpse into HVAC/Refrigeration/Electrical/Robotics while he's there.....

Are his grades good enough to get him in one of the service Academies? My daughter is 15 and wants to do law enforcement. I'm trying to convince her of this route, she seems interested in the Navy so we're thinking Annapolis for pre-law. She wants to chase bad guys so she likes the idea of the US Marshal Service.

I loved active duty Army a lot, got to see a lot of Europe and a little bit of Uganda but never made the Middle East. The Army Reserves wasn't nearly as fun, it's much harder to be cohesive as a unit part time. I did 21 years and would probably still be in if my leg would let me, since the majority of my time was Reserves I don't have a lot of retirement points. Unfortunately my leg injury wasn't service related or happened while on title 10 orders, so I wasn't eligible for medical retirement of any VA disiabilty rating for it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

If he wants to go LEO I defer to member Ranger Green as he is as good as it gets in this regard.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by EdM

Are his grades good enough to get him in one of the service Academies? My daughter is 15 and wants to do law enforcement. I'm trying to convince her of this route, she seems interested in the Navy so we're thinking Annapolis for pre-law. She wants to chase bad guys so she likes the idea of the US Marshal Service.

I loved active duty Army a lot, got to see a lot of Europe and a little bit of Uganda but never made the Middle East. The Army Reserves wasn't nearly as fun, it's much harder to be cohesive as a unit part time. I did 21 years and would probably still be in if my leg would let me, since the majority of my time was Reserves I don't have a lot of retirement points. Unfortunately my leg injury wasn't service related or happened while on title 10 orders, so I wasn't eligible for medical retirement of any VA disiabilty rating for it.

I'm not a negative person but I would try and dissuade anyone from going into the field of law enforcement today. And I would never encourage somebody to go into the US Marshall's.

If somebody wants to do exciting schit and perform public service I'd be looking at a fireman/EMT gig.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would look at the Coast Guard. They save lives, protect our nation and stay close to the United States and family is closer then if you are over seas. They have cool boats and their boarding parties are gunned up and learn to shoot and get paid to do it. Heck ya!

The medical field and electrical/electronics folks always find work.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by EdM

Then most definitely USCG. He can do a bunch of inter-agency work with DEA, Customs, etc etc.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
MST is a good route to.

As an MST, your job may change with the operational tempo set by the extensive number of missions you will respond to throughout your career in the USCG. From protecting U.S. waters and the public from oil and hazardous material responses to conducting safety and security inspections, an MST plays the essential role of enforcing regulations for the safety of the marine environment and the security of the port.

As a port state control officer, an MST conducts vessel boardings to ensure compliance with applicable domestic laws and international treaties by checking structural and stability conditions; by verifying appropriate electrical, fire safety, lifesaving, mechanical and navigation systems; and by examining living conditions for crew members on foreign-flagged vessels.

On the waterfront, an MST will conduct commercial waterfront facility inspections to ensure compliance with safety and security federal regulations. An MST will also conduct shipping container inspections for hazardous material and structural compliance.

As an MST, your ability to plan makes you an invaluable asset to the setup and exercise planning of any incident command system for response to anything from local, port-security threats to natural and environmental disasters with nationwide impact.

In the maritime security role, an MST will enforce security requirements at waterfront facilities; and on foreign-flagged vessels. MSTs identify the actions required to respond to current and future security threats and concerns involving the maritime transportation system.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No brainer. Air Force

Pick a good technical field like cyber security or language school or in his case MP

Don’t major in crim Justice if he wants to work as a cop or as a fed. Take some cj classes but pick another major and pick up a language like Spanish. Much more marketable when he starts looking for work as an LEO

Last edited by ribka; 07/26/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Yeh that.

USMS is an incredibly boring job for the most part transporting prisoners to and from court. Very few get to go out and chase bad guys

Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by EdM

I'm not a negative person but I would try and dissuade anyone from going into the field of law enforcement today. And I would never encourage somebody to go into the US Marshall's.

If somebody wants to do exciting schit and perform public service I'd be looking at a fireman/EMT gig.

Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by EdM

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by drover
If he is a mature 17 then the military can be a good thing, if he is immature probably not so much.

I am speaking from personal experience from many years ago - I went into the Air Force at 17, a week after I graduated high school, at the time I went in I was immature and a bit directionless, by the time I got out of Basic Training and Technical School I was a different person. I not only had a skill but I had a life plan that served me well. Thanks to the training I received those many years ago I was retired by 60 and have three retirement incomes. Admittedly I did not go into the military with that as a goal but the values and skills they gave me enabled it.
Not only did it provide me with the skills and mind-set but it introduced me to a whole new life - I met folks from all over the US, it broadened my outlook on differences in folks from all part of the country - the most amazing thing to me is that we are more alike than different. I would much rather see young folks try the military rather than wasting a year or two at college with no idea of what they want to achieve.

Things may have changed a bit through the years but the Air Force and Navy both have excellent technical schools, the Marines and the Army
generally are more interested in warm bodies rather than skills.

I would say that my 6 years in the USMC mirrored drover's, when I enlisted I had no idea what field I wanted to work in so I started in motor transport
as a driver. in 2 years I was able to do what is called a (lateral move) and I went into Aviation maintenance. The military offers many opportunities that are not always evident up front.

drover

Last edited by killahog; 07/26/18.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Worked for me, except I was a Maintenance Warrant.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

Worked for me, except I was a Maintenance Warrant.

Bullshit.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

How do you know Jorge?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The service for me was not an option. However, of the 10-15 or so HS classmates of mine who enlisted as a means of getting to college, they came out the far end as squared away people with good grades.
All have been impressively successful.
I went back to skool after a couple of years in the "real world" when I realized I could still grab some extra creds for relatively little. There were three of my classmates who were out of the service and in college with me, lets just say they were much more grown up than they had been, and took school seriously, studied hard, had focus, et cetera.
One went back in, grew a nice fruit salad, got a good civilian job after retirement. The others have all done really well and I'm proud of them.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Middlefork,
Get what in writing?

The job?
Nowadays he should be able to.

In my day, you could get a school in writing.

Needs of the Navy ya know--

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 3,051 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,658
Posts18,533,972
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.