Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Of course.............but that's not what it was about.

Lot's of other factors play into an accurate rifle, besides the cartridge selection............but just discussing the cartridge on it's own merits assumes the other factors are as required for an "accurate" rifle.

Maybe we could discuss what an "accurate" rifle is, too while we're at it.

MM

You are not a moderator.

I will answer as I choose.

I care more about the OP's opinion than yours.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Awesome as. I'll definitely keep them in mind. Thanks.

Besides,

The is The Fire. By the time we are done with this thread contributors may have helped the OP with choice of cartridge, barrel, stock, muzzle device, parts kit, BCG, scope, load, gunsmith with the correct reamer, along with a new Bourbon to drink while he puts it together.

In the process, we might feed his addiction with idea's for at least 3 more builds. If we accomplished all of that, I'd call it a successful thread.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/27/18.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Value what you choose; your opinion or comment matters not at all to me.

What you stated was only the obvious about needing a clean job of chambering so I can't imagine what you were / are trying to accomplish.

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Value what you choose; your opinion or comment matters not at all to me.

What you stated was only the obvious about needing a clean job of chambering so I can't imagine what you were / are trying to accomplish.

MM

All you've managed to accomplished trying to be Thread Cop is derailing the thread.

You are not adding value, but just gumming up the conversation.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You gummed it up by getting your fellers hurt & trying to show us all how smart you really are.

BSA is not a rookie & is more than knowledgeable enough to know that there's more to an accurate rifle than the chambering's headstamp.

But it was pretty clear as to what he asked.

When he asks what barrel to use or who to do the chambering, than I'll answer those questions then.

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You gummed it up by getting your fellers hurt & trying to show us all how smart you really are.

BSA is not a rookie & is more than knowledgeable enough to know that there's more to an accurate than the chambering's headstamp.

But it was pretty clear as to what he asked.

When he asks what barrel to use or who to do the chambering, than I'll answer those questions then.

MM

Looks who's trying to assert his dominance by appointing himself "topic cop", and derailing the thread.

Again,

I didn't bring up barrels:

Good info guys. The reason I ask is because I have my eye on a nice LWRC lower that is exactly how I would have built it for a precision rifle: PRS stock, geiselle SSA-E trigger, k2+ grip and all ambidextrous. As far as barrels go, I will tell you which ones I won't use this time: Noveske or Wilson. Only because I have both right now and I'd like to try something different. I'm thinking WOA or maybe something you guys might suggest.

And I addressed an additional specific stated concern:

Yep. Mostly punching paper. Maybe sage rats. Range: sub 600 yards. For those that know about the black rifle challenge here and those who have participated in that shoot, they know what I'm after....Tiny 10 shot groups at a mere 100 yards would be a good starting point.

Before you attempt to act as topic cop, I suggest you learn how to read within the context of a flowing conversation.

Now please apologize so we can get back onto the topic of spending BSA's money.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey now, I appreciate both of your opinions and suggestions. You both bring a lot to the table. I don't mind if we talk barrels, bcg's, or even lowers for that matter. Of course the original question was regarding cartridge choice. I was just curious if there was a decidedly clear winner in the "inherently" accurate cartridge department.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Now please apologize so we can get back onto the topic of spending BSA's money.

Not today.

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Hey now, I appreciate both of your opinions and suggestions. You both bring a lot to the table. I don't mind if we talk barrels, bcg's, or even lowers for that matter. Of course the original question was regarding cartridge choice. I was just curious if there was a decidedly clear winner in the "inherently" accurate cartridge department.

Sorry BSA, it wasn't my intention to contribute to the meandering of your thread, I just won't abide a self-aggrandizing Thread Nazi when everyone's playing nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I just won't abide a self-aggrandizing Thread Nazi

You're even more of a whiner than I thought.

GFY

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I just won't abide a unapologetic, self-aggrandizing Thread Nazi

You're even more of a whiner than I thought.

GFY

MM

I suggest you repeat the 8th grade so you can learn to read in context, then an additional year in kindergarten where hopefully, you can learn some manners.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your words & meaning were perfectly clear; so are mine.

I'm done with you on this subject.

But please feel free, in the future, to continue to regale us with the obvious.

MM

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well that turned to [bleep] in a hurry
For me a Krieger 7.7 Wylde

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My choice would be a 6x45 or the 25 Sharps. With the right barrel accuracy would be as good as any AR.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kwg020
My choice would be a 6x45 or the 25 Sharps. With the right barrel accuracy would be as good as any AR.

kwg

Those are 2 cartridges that I have been very intrigued by. Thanks for your input..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
John Holliger (WOA) brought a 25DTI to hog hunt with us earlier this year. He was pretty high on it.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

Since the question was purely about accuracy, what is it about those particular cartridges that would make you choose them? Have they won many benchrest matches or other competitions?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

If I wanted to strive for the very best, ultimately accurate rifle, I chamber in in something based on the 6 PPC of some iteration.

But whatever it would be, the very best bullets would have to fit mag length............no single loading for me as I simply don't want to put up with anything that doesn't feed from a magazine.

The 243 LBC sounds very interesting but I've not done one yet & I'm not sure how widely it's chambered for from the major, top shelf barrel manufacturers though.

MM

The 243 LBC is Black Hole Weaponry's version of the various 6mm Grendel wildcats. As noted above, there are plenty others too, and they don't vary by much. It's just a necked down 6.5 Grendel, so no magazine concerns.

The 6 PPC is essentially a shorter 243 LBC (disregarding which came first, just comparing cases) but only by .070", not very much. A 6.5 PPC would just be a shortened 6.5 Grendel.

Any version of any of those is a mag length cartridge for an AR15. For example, in the 243 LBC I'm using the 95gr Berger VLD (hunting); max OAL to the lands is 2.285", but best accuracy in my barrel is at 2.235". I'm using ASC mags that handle up to 2.315" OAL without modifications, so I've got plenty of room to work with even if the throat grows a bit over the next few thousand rounds.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yondering. I know a guy that has a 6.5 grendel. He has magazine issues, can't even use p mags. Says the cartridge puts too much side pressure in the mag. It jams and from what I saw, the thing is a pos and not worth the trouble. These are all cartridge related issues, that frankly I don't want to hassle with.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Yondering

If I wanted to strive for the very best, ultimately accurate rifle, I chamber in in something based on the 6 PPC of some iteration.

But whatever it would be, the very best bullets would have to fit mag length............no single loading for me as I simply don't want to put up with anything that doesn't feed from a magazine.

The 243 LBC sounds very interesting but I've not done one yet & I'm not sure how widely it's chambered for from the major, top shelf barrel manufacturers though.

MM

The 243 LBC is Black Hole Weaponry's version of the various 6mm Grendel wildcats. As noted above, there are plenty others too, and they don't vary by much. It's just a necked down 6.5 Grendel, so no magazine concerns.

The 6 PPC is essentially a shorter 243 LBC (disregarding which came first, just comparing cases) but only by .070", not very much. A 6.5 PPC would just be a shortened 6.5 Grendel.

Any version of any of those is a mag length cartridge for an AR15. For example, in the 243 LBC I'm using the 95gr Berger VLD (hunting); max OAL to the lands is 2.285", but best accuracy in my barrel is at 2.235". I'm using ASC mags that handle up to 2.315" OAL without modifications, so I've got plenty of room to work with even if the throat grows a bit over the next few thousand rounds.

Yondering,

Are you running stock mags, or have you modified them at all? I understand there may be some mods to assist with the issues mentioned by BSA.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Yondering. I know a guy that has a 6.5 grendel. He has magazine issues, can't even use p mags. Says the cartridge puts too much side pressure in the mag. It jams and from what I saw, the thing is a pos and not worth the trouble. These are all cartridge related issues, that frankly I don't want to hassle with.

No offense intended but that's kind of a "duh" moment. Pmags are made for 5.56, not for the Grendel. Your friend needs to try Grendel mags, not 5.56 mags. Too much side pressure on the mag body is one of the problems with doing that. Also stay away from the really cheap junk mags; you'd expect problems from those in 5.56 too.

I'm using ASC stainless mags with no modifications, they work flawlessly and are only about $12-$16 each. They even have colored followers to identify the cartridge (Grendel followers are blue).

Last edited by Yondering; 07/29/18.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugemag, 17Hunter, 06hunter59, 1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 18,332 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,961
Posts18,539,659
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.