Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We're lazy trash, too bored to thrash. We're gettin' nowhere, fast as we can. We'll get a nosefull from our so-called friends. We're gettin' no place, quick as we know how. We roll from town to town, treatment bound.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you all for your prayers and support. It means a lot.

Two firefighters have died fighting the fires and several firefighters have been treated for burns. A great-grandmother and two of her young great-grandchildren also perished in the fire. We live 5 miles east of I-5, and about 10 miles east of any ground fires. Our home is affected by lots of smoke and falling ash. Hot embers are a concern, and the folks in our area are being very watchful for possible spot fires. We have been having a lot of ash falling in our yard and on everything, for the past three days. Many "ashes" are the size of small tree leaves. Some “ashes” in fact, are intact, burned tree leaves. I expect the total area of the fire will be over 100,000 acres by sometime tomorrow.

This morning on our back patio, among the ashes, I spotted a small piece of paper, not quite the size of a playing card, burned around the edges. I picked it up, and it is part of a page out of someone's Bible that had been consumed by the fire and carried at least 10 miles to land in our yard. My wife was quite taken by this, and even posted a picture about it on her Facebook page.

Tonight some evacuees were allowed to return to a couple of small neighborhoods. (I believe the total number of evacuees is something like 30,000) There is a very heavy presence of law enforcement and National Guard from outside of the area watching over the evacuated neighborhoods and closed roads. I really don't think that there will be much of a looting problem. Any looters that are caught will be dealt with very harshly, and the low-lifes know it. As someone mentioned, this is a very conservative county with a very high percentage of Concealed Carry permits. In fact, the last wheelchair patient I transported late last night was 89 years old. She proudly told me that she had just let her CCW permit lapse last year, at 88, because she realized that her eyesight was no longer good enough for her to be comfortable with her pistol. She must have been a real character back in the day. She said that at one time she owned and rode her own Harley. She had an air-horn installed on it, so she could surprise the big truck drivers with it as she blew past them on the highway.

Everybody stay safe, please.

Milo

Last edited by nifty-two-fifty; 07/28/18.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Thank you all for your prayers and support. It means a lot.

Two firefighters have died fighting the fires and several firefighters have been treated for burns. A great-grandmother and two of her young great-grandchildren also perished in the fire. We live 5 miles east of I-5, and about 10 miles east of any ground fires. Our home is affected by lots of smoke and falling ash. Hot embers are a concern, and the folks in our area are being very watchful for possible spot fires. We have been having a lot of ash falling in our yard and on everything, for the past three days. Many "ashes" are the size of small tree leaves. Some “ashes” in fact, are intact, burned tree leaves. I expect the total area of the fire will be over 100,000 acres by sometime tomorrow.

This morning on our back patio, among the ashes, I spotted a small piece of paper, not quite the size of a playing card, burned around the edges. I picked it up, and it is part of a page out of someone's Bible that had been consumed by the fire and carried at least 10 miles to land in our yard. My wife was quite taken by this, and even posted a picture about it on her Facebook page.

Tonight some evacuees were allowed to return to a couple of small neighborhoods. There is a very heavy presence of law enforcement and National Guard from outside of the area watching over the evacuated neighborhoods and closed roads. I really don't think that there will be much of a looting problem. Any looters that are caught will be dealt with very harshly, and the low-lifes know it. As someone mentioned, this is a very conservative county with a very high percentage of Concealed Carry permits. In fact, the last wheelchair patient I transported late last night was 89 years old. She proudly told me that she had just let her CCW permit lapse last year, at 88, because she realized that her eyesight was no longer good enough for her to be comfortable with her pistol. She must have been a real character back in the day. She said that at one time she owned and rode her own Harley. She had an air-horn installed on it, so she could surprise the big truck drivers with it as she blew past them on the highway.

Everybody stay safe, please.

Milo

👍🏼

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nifty,

thanks from the NE corner of the state for your hard work and dedication. Glad to hear your side of the 5 is still safe, for now. Glad the neighbors are on top of the ash fall. Way back in the 70's we had smoldering bunches of dry grass falling on our roof, thrown up by the fire front 5 miles away. Even way back then it would have been a real disaster if that fire had gotten into the neighborhoods. Now there's 5 times the number of people down there.

If you ever head NE on 299 toward Lakeview and pass through Alturas, give me a shout before you head over. I'll buy you a coffee, or fix you one at my place. (assuming you're not allergic to dogs)

Keep up the good work, rest up when you can. And stay safe!

Again, thanks from the whole NorCal community.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prayers Milo for you, yours and all the others dealing with the Fire.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The people who gravitate to this site are like that. I have yet to meet even a slightly below average one, and I've met dozens of fire members.

Indeed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.