Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I got the tag in the mail last night and the hotel is booked. So finally official. Now I'll be climbing the walls until first light on Nov. 1

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey that is awesome. Good luck!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
TZOne, is it easy to get a doe tag or something on an over the counter? I would like to go do that sometime. I would go in cold too but by the way some talk it should not be too much work seeing deer.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's no OTC antlerless, it's draw only. that said it was 100% success for NR hunters with no preference. there is also the Muzzleloader option in December. those tags are available for purchase online or through the GFP office til the end of season. That is a fun hunt too.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love to hunt the Black Hills! I strongly recommend finding out what mountain mahogany looks like as this plant is a magnet for mulies. Not so much for whitetails. The "Piedmont Burn" is an area that has abundant new growth after this forest fire of approx 15 years ago. You can access it with a 4WD vehicle from the fire trail past Blackhawk. I've had very good luck hunting the edges of this burn. This large bodied muley was taken near the burn site. Hoping this is helpful.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tzoner, how did it go? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Tzoner, how did it go? MB

We did well Bob.

Kicked it off in late October. Doing a little scouting my son connected on a Mule deer doe with the help of another member, Colorado1135.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then we found some whitetail areas near where I was staying. That turned out pretty well too!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The hunt was amazing. The country is obviously beautiful. The deer were plentiful. I shot the 3rd biggest buck I saw, but the size of the buck was a minor part of the hunt. That said, I'd love to go back now that I know a bit more about the area and kill a bigger one...I had my chances, no question there.

The scenery alone was worth the trip. The amount of wildlife seen just made it better!

Need to work on shooting longer distances and hiking. There are great opportunities to "spot and stalk" in some of the areas. I had the chance on one occasion and couldn't relocate the buck after I moved, so I went back to my post. I shot the buck pictured above a short time later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on a successful hunt!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
T congrats for you and the boy, great way to start him out. You both will have great memories of that hunt. Tell us what you were using guns and loads. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Awesome work TZone so happy to see your son successful too; Colo1135 is a top shelf dude in his generosity in such matters!

That’s a beautiful buck you shot I just love hunting an area where I can have the confidence to let good bucks pass.

Great experience!

IC B3

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Skeen, is that your some or you with the giant bass? Hellova fish!

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
T congrats for you and the boy, great way to start him out. You both will have great memories of that hunt. Tell us what you were using guns and loads. MB

MB,

The gun was a Win Model 70 featherweight XTR, in 7x57 Mauser. The load was Federal blue box 140gr bullets. Nothing too fancy. Range was 64 yards. He came through chasing 3 does that ran by me at about 50 feet!

Last edited by tzone; 11/14/18.

S
S
This is a good thread. I have been buying preference points for the hills for the last 3 years and next year I am planning on putting in to go. How was the pressure? My concern when I was looking at the maps is all the roads/ being able to get away from other hunters.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Sportsman90
This is a good thread. I have been buying preference points for the hills for the last 3 years and next year I am planning on putting in to go. How was the pressure? My concern when I was looking at the maps is all the roads/ being able to get away from other hunters.

There will be some pressure. From what I saw if you hunt durning the week there will be less. The pressure I saw was road hunters on the weekend. So, go early and get in the woods before the trucks start driving roads.

I also hunted the opening weekend. There really was not a lot of folks out like I am used to here. The season is long so I don’t think anyone was too crazy about it like here with a 2 week season.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great story Tom & will be great BSin' memories for you, Jack & Ryan !

Most excellentness !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 51 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,100
Posts18,502,079
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.