Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Ingwe,

Where in MO are you going?

I'm not exactly sure....I have a friend there thats going to be my guide.... laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No shortage of them in the places I hunt.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a free day today and while I did not get out to hunt I did do some work in anticipation of some tree rat hunting in the near future. I have collected a few aftermarket parts for my 10/22 over the spring and summer and finally got them into the rifle. New JWH bolt, Jard trigger and a an older B&L A/O scope. Now to site it in. I already had a Green Mountain sporter barrel .

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 07/28/18.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Squirrel hunting has been my favorite past time for as long as I can remember. I usually get into the woods following the first frost in mid- to late September/early October. Ohio's season starts when it's still 90 degrees outside and green, and I just can't get into it until it gets to the point where I have to warm the cabin with a fire at night.

Though a rifleman, I must admit that I take one of the .410's out early on, especially if they are still up in the foliage. After that, I take one of the .22's. I have always had good luck shooting Remington's .22 38 grain Subsonic Hollow Point. They group well in every one of my rifles, and be it a head shot or a behind the shoulder impact, I get instantaneous death, no meat damage and very little noise. Over a decade ago, I was buying a brick from the local sporting goods store every payday, and I think I ended up with twenty or so bricks stashed away, so I figure I have a lifetime supply. I'm not sure if they are still even in production?

For several yeras, I was doing the majority of my hunting with an original 1906 Winchester Model 1892 with a 24" octagon barrel in 25-20. The bore was PRISTINE! I found it at a gun show in Ohio, mounted a Lyman Tang sight on it, and loaded a 85 grain RCBS flat nose cast from wheel weights over 2400. I think at around 1400 fps. It would put 5 shots through one ragged hole at 50 yards. It was my go-to rifle for everything short of deer, though had I the opportunity, I would have had no qualms dropping a whitetail with it. Sadly, a few years back, in a moment of financial weakness spurred on by some unfortunate life circumstances, I sold it. It was, and still is, one of my biggest regrets. Perhaps one day I will find another.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ain't no sin in hunting them with a shotgun.

Early season while the leaves are thick on the trees, a .22 can be tough, at least for me.

I'm thinking about trying my 28 ga. Ithaca 37 with #6 this coming season. Light gun, not a lot of shot, full choke should blast them out of the thick stuff.

DF

[Linked Image]

I love your Ithaca. I keep seeing ads for the 28 gauge model in my Fur, Fish, and Game magazine, and think about getting one before they quit producing them, or Ithaca goes out of business. Again. What barrel length did you order? She's beautiful, and the 28 gauge is perfect for just about everything save for turkey and waterfowl.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the weather not being so hot, I decided to hit the woods.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Crappie_Killer; 07/30/18.

CK
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Anybody out there using a squirrel call?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i use a varmint squaller. it moves chipmunks, bluejays, causes squirrels to change location, calls in some crows sometimes.

i have tried the little coin shaped silver squirrel whistle from time to time, with no effect that i could see. but it sounded good.

it's all done from the house. when i'm in the woods, i sit and wait. the mtn feist has done gone on, so no dog to help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Anybody out there using a squirrel call?

Quaker Boy scolder and Haydel's distress whistle/
[Linked Image]

I have found the scolder a better locator. The distress whistle is effective in making them show themselves, plus I found it works great on bringing in coyotes.

Sometimes I just put out bait. grin

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just picked up a Primos squirrel buster...havent used one since back in the day but it used to work so good it almost wasn't fair....

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by J23
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ain't no sin in hunting them with a shotgun.

Early season while the leaves are thick on the trees, a .22 can be tough, at least for me.

I'm thinking about trying my 28 ga. Ithaca 37 with #6 this coming season. Light gun, not a lot of shot, full choke should blast them out of the thick stuff.

DF

[Linked Image]

I love your Ithaca. I keep seeing ads for the 28 gauge model in my Fur, Fish, and Game magazine, and think about getting one before they quit producing them, or Ithaca goes out of business. Again. What barrel length did you order? She's beautiful, and the 28 gauge is perfect for just about everything save for turkey and waterfowl.

28". I like the more forward feel, think it balances and swings better.

This one has some nice wood; I was fortunate. I fitted a 1/2" pad to shorten the LOP a bit. Seems to handle faster and cuts down on the reach for the forarm.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve always used Faulks with the little rubber accordion on the end.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DollarShort
I’ve always used Faulks with the little rubber accordion on the end.

The one I used back in the day was an Olts...with the little accordion...this new one operates the same way..

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Man, that is one beautiful shotgun.

I have messed around with a squirrel caller, but I've never had much luck with them.

Ted Nugent

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by J23
Man, that is one beautiful shotgun.

Thanks. It is a finely built shotgun. These Ohio guns may be even better built, more precisely machined than the original Ithaca, NY guns. For sure, a heap better than the various rebirths of the Ithaca company, the last before Ohio, King Ferry.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Rimfirecentral has a big squirrel hunt in Southern Illinois every year, they've been doing it a long while. I haven't gone to it, but it kinda sounds fun. Here's a link, it looks like anyone who wants to go, is invited. I'd rather hunt the woodlots in Northcentral Missouri (Chariton County), where there's a good mix of fox and grey squirrels, and a heckuva lot of them (limit 10 per day, possession limit of 20). I grew up hunting those squirrels and those woods. It gave me a good start towards deer hunting the same brush and timber.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1056218

The Ill-annoy hunt looks like fun, but so are/were our family hunts in Chariton County, and we slept in our own beds, not in tents!!

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it does get down in the 60s for the lows next weekend I may try to get out one morning and kill a small mess unless dad finds the walleyes biting this week at which point I may fish instead, never know!!

May have him drop me out to kill 2-3 squirrels then get back on the boat for eyes or crappie!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Squirrels were hitting the sunflower a couple of weekends ago, I noticed they have moved to the hickory trees and are really starting to heat up. I just wish it wasn't so hot and dry. Chance of rain tomorrow. If it does, I feel a vacation day coming on.

CK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flat ass raining here in Cass county today.

Messaged my dad this morning but haven't heard from him. He is down at Truman drowning minnows if it isn't raining.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
As much as I love my rifles most of the squirrel hunting I have access to is better suited to shotguns. I like full choke 20 gauges and #4 shot but 6's work pretty good also. I have gotten to the point where I shoot at the squirrels head with the edge of the pattern if it is within 25 yards and #4 shot does go through most of the time. My model 17 Remington needs a butt stock and hopefully that will be taken care of by September and it will have cooled a bit by then.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.