Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
isaac; You think there's something patently hypocritic about one addict wishing the death of another. I think as long as Mr Tubbs is in the state of mind he's in, he's very qualified to make decisions on the matter...he's BTDT. He knows how wrong he was, and how wrong others are that are busily destroying innocents they come in contact with. My guess is that some actively abusing addicts like I'm talking about would feel the same way---at times. Mr Tubbs deserves all the support we can give him, because he's gone through something awesomely horrible, and he walked away from it on his own because he's got more guts than most of us, and the love of a good woman. My hat is off to him.
I too have the love of a good woman, and would consider life not worthwhile if I lost her because of drugs or drinking on my part (if I was sane enough to realize it). She ended one 20-year marriage because of an alcoholic husband, and losing her makes him the stupidest sob in the world, as far as I'm concerned. He lost an absolute angel because he's that type of addict. He still drinks, and is therefore still stupid, and putting others at risk of harm. Don't need him.
My question to you as an attorney, is how can you question that there are addicts out there that always deserve another chance, when (I assume) you've seen their damage firsthand? Do I misunderstand something in what you say, or do you think there's always enough hope for treatment and recovery in anyone to warrant keeping them "in the system"? I disagree.
The death penalty was more prevalent in the past than it is now, right? Well then, wasn't that due to the popular notion that it eliminated societal burdens? The acceptance of that idea may not be as popular as it once was, but I don't think anyone will argue that if you execute someone, they won't commit any more crimes. It seems to me that alot of hardcore drug users, manufacturers and sellers are repeat offenders, so it's logical to me that the system we use to punish them isn't working well.
So, back to my original premise, with qualifications; Don't need them.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 03/13/07.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
With that kind of logic should we just kill everyone, because they MIGHT become an addict?
What I'M saying that works for MY sense of values, is that people who are on drugs so devotedly (new word)that they impose excessively (in my opinion)on other people, had better watch out when I'M put in charge (joke). So, if you don't like my ideas, don't vote for me when I run for the office of God (joke); but I'm neither going to change my opinion on this (nor do I expect you to change yours) based on what I've learned about people being held responsible for their actions.
I realize I would be harder on these people than alot of others would.

Actually Ruger is correct. An addict is an addict the rest of his life, he's just not using.
If you go into an AA meeting during the discussion, if a fellow wants to talk, he will introduce himself by saying "My name is Bill, I'm a drunk or alcoholic, or junky."
By the way there's a good film out there about AA, " My name is Bill. It's about AA got founded. It's got James Wood and James Garner and yours truely in it.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by arkypete
Originally Posted by Alonzo_Tubbs
For some reason, the thread shows me as not logged in so I can't reply there. I just felt I had to say something about the subject.

First- the child. Child protective services can only do so much and usually it's not enough. They'll threaten to remove the child, the mother will go insane and Dear Old Dad will promise to clean up. When that fails, they'll threaten to remove the child, Mom will go insane and he'll go to rehab. When he relapses, and he will, the whole scenario will be repeated. Mean while, Dear Old Dad, who like all addicts considers himself not to be the problem but a victim of the oppressors who would deny him of his right to destroy all around him, will still be in the house with the child. Mom will rally to his defense and the daughter will suffer. I don't know the solution.

I came off heroin in 1971 and crawled out of a bottle of whiskey in 1975. I understand well the process of blaming every one and everything for my failures and know well how violent the addict can become when his life style is threatened. Damn everyone else.

Damn the addict, damn the supplier and damn the enablers. Those who have called for execution have the right attitude. Legalise the stuff,sell it pure and roll a garbage truck down the street every morning while the Herald cries "Bring out the dead!"

Sorry if I get emotional about this but I've seen, seen it and seen it again. Unless they want to kick (and most don't) they'll just destroy every one and everything in their path. Oh, and don't forget, they'll also invite anyone they can recuit to share their joy.

Kill 'em. Kill every last one of them.

'Lonzo

Mr. Tubbs
I'm the resident Mr. Harshness when it comes to drunks and addicts. I don't think it's advisable to kill the addicts as it would be wasting a clear eyed, clean living individual's life. However I would not stand in thier way to prevent them from destroying themselves with their addiction.
You are to be congratulated for your strength of character in kicking two of the most addictive chemicals loose in our society.
Hopefully you can and will share your experience with others to give them an example of what is possible.
Jim

Arky,

You and I may agree afterall! That doesn't sound quite like what you said in the other thread. You MUST leave an addict to their own devices so long as thats what they want. When they ask for "help" you must endeavor to help and not enable. And many codependants/enablers don't know the difference, but thats not their fault. They're often as misguided in thier thinking at the soft end of the spectrum as Alonzo and Bulletbutt are at the hard end of the spectrum. Not understanding addiction is not understanding it...no matter which end you fall on.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Alonzo is right so let's just take his word for it. I can help you start the list. Fortunately most hard core addicts off themselves at an early age so they we can just stand back and watch them self destruct. The fact that we are providing SO MANY safety nets only interfers with their own total destruction and encourages them to live longer so they can screw up more lives. It's a revolving door. Only those who truly wish to change do it when they are ready and not a moment before. My apologize to those who feel offended but that's the way I see it. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by arkypete
Originally Posted by Alonzo_Tubbs
For some reason, the thread shows me as not logged in so I can't reply there. I just felt I had to say something about the subject.

First- the child. Child protective services can only do so much and usually it's not enough. They'll threaten to remove the child, the mother will go insane and Dear Old Dad will promise to clean up. When that fails, they'll threaten to remove the child, Mom will go insane and he'll go to rehab. When he relapses, and he will, the whole scenario will be repeated. Mean while, Dear Old Dad, who like all addicts considers himself not to be the problem but a victim of the oppressors who would deny him of his right to destroy all around him, will still be in the house with the child. Mom will rally to his defense and the daughter will suffer. I don't know the solution.

I came off heroin in 1971 and crawled out of a bottle of whiskey in 1975. I understand well the process of blaming every one and everything for my failures and know well how violent the addict can become when his life style is threatened. Damn everyone else.

Damn the addict, damn the supplier and damn the enablers. Those who have called for execution have the right attitude. Legalise the stuff,sell it pure and roll a garbage truck down the street every morning while the Herald cries "Bring out the dead!"

Sorry if I get emotional about this but I've seen, seen it and seen it again. Unless they want to kick (and most don't) they'll just destroy every one and everything in their path. Oh, and don't forget, they'll also invite anyone they can recuit to share their joy.

Kill 'em. Kill every last one of them.

'Lonzo

Mr. Tubbs
I'm the resident Mr. Harshness when it comes to drunks and addicts. I don't think it's advisable to kill the addicts as it would be wasting a clear eyed, clean living individual's life. However I would not stand in thier way to prevent them from destroying themselves with their addiction.
You are to be congratulated for your strength of character in kicking two of the most addictive chemicals loose in our society.
Hopefully you can and will share your experience with others to give them an example of what is possible.
Jim

Arky,

You and I may agree afterall! That doesn't sound quite like what you said in the other thread. You MUST leave an addict to their own devices so long as thats what they want. When they ask for "help" you must endeavor to help and not enable. And many codependants/enablers don't know the difference, but thats not their fault. They're often as misguided in thier thinking at the soft end of the spectrum as Alonzo and Bulletbutt are at the hard end of the spectrum. Not understanding addiction is not understanding it...no matter which end you fall on.

I don't give a hoot what happens to the addict, what I care about is the second and third parties. The addict is destroying his life all by his lonesome, why have some else's life get messed up as collateral damage.
If some one were to help the addict out into a blizzard in Alaska while the addict is blown away, well the addict most likely needed some air.
But to actively do in the addict, NO! That would be wasting another life. Now if there were some reasonable DAs and judges who would look at the situation and say he's a worthless excuse of a father, husband and there's no sense in ruining another life, etc. I might could be convinced. But I'd still think it was a waste of a perfectly good bullet.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have a recent case here in Richmond. A dumdum of a wife tried to ship heroin to her husband in the local hoosgow. Now she's in jail.
You would know the numbers better then I ever would, but how many women are in prison because her helping husband/boyfriend sell, carry, distribute drugs. How many are in prison because they killed the worthless lump?
I'm sure that you have heard some real horror stories relating to drugs. In my men's meeting I get to hear the other side of the tale. I currently a half dozen guns in my safe so the fellas won't use them on themselve's or the addict.
An addict will suck the soul out of every one they are close to, then throw the dried husk away.
Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think where you and I part ways is thinking that because an addict does you wrong, they're different from other equally sorry people that do you wrong along the way. That, and I have met plenty of addicts that had little ill-effect on anybody but themselves. And I can't see not trying to help someone in need as long as they accept the help for what it is, and not ask or me to sacrifice mine to enable them. If an addict says "get me off this stuff" I see a benefit to everyone in getting them clean. I see no benefit to turning away. Beyond basic human compassion, I don't care about anyone other than who I know and love. But in my book, basic human compassion says I owe what helping hand I can offer to someone sincerely asking for help. That doesn't mean buying a junkie his fix, or a drunk a bottle. But if he needs a ride to a meeting, and if I'm going that way or even near that way, I can see helping him. If its my blood or loved one, I will go out of my way to help, but wont raise a hand to enable! BUT, I've lived it first hand with some close people and I know the difference. Not to mention all the professional experience I've had with addicts. The bottom line is, addiction afflicts good people and bad...the bad ones are the ones to fear. Many of the good ones are never known as addicts to most.

War Damn Eagle!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What drives addiction is a lack of appropriate coping mechanisms. There is no magic that goes on in treatment except withholding the substance until it's physical grasp is loosened. The rest is counseling and teaching new ways to cope.

Addicts aren't evil nor are the substances they use to medicate themselves. It's hard to get a person to the point where they're ready mentally to fight the dragon but you sure don't do it by pooh poohing them or being soft on them. Tough love is the best description of what I think works the best.

I don't buy that addiction is a disease either. I think that was a great PR campaign to get people to allow themselves into rehab. If they think of it like cancer or diabetes they're more likely to accept help.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by .280Rem
I think where you and I part ways is thinking that because an addict does you wrong, they're different from other equally sorry people that do you wrong along the way. That, and I have met plenty of addicts that had little ill-effect on anybody but themselves. And I can't see not trying to help someone in need as long as they accept the help for what it is, and not ask or me to sacrifice mine to enable them. If an addict says "get me off this stuff" I see a benefit to everyone in getting them clean. I see no benefit to turning away. Beyond basic human compassion, I don't care about anyone other than who I know and love. But in my book, basic human compassion says I owe what helping hand I can offer to someone sincerely asking for help. That doesn't mean buying a junkie his fix, or a drunk a bottle. But if he needs a ride to a meeting, and if I'm going that way or even near that way, I can see helping him. If its my blood or loved one, I will go out of my way to help, but wont raise a hand to enable! BUT, I've lived it first hand with some close people and I know the difference. Not to mention all the professional experience I've had with addicts. The bottom line is, addiction afflicts good people and bad...the bad ones are the ones to fear. Many of the good ones are never known as addicts to most.

I have no quarrel with helping. Taking them to a AA meeting, dropping them off at detox and picking them up. You call it compassion, I call it enlightened self interest.
In the majority of cases, there's a family history of addiction, so there's child of an addict underneath the addiction, waiting to be helped. That's my passion.

Let me add. The only way the addict can harm me is if I allow him to harm me. It's never a one way street, I have to be an active member of the transaction to get hurt. With this mind set I can and do defuse any anger and resentment on my part. I've got large and dedicated network of guys who can help me work my way through any stupidity on my part.
Jim

Last edited by arkypete; 03/13/07.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes
What drives addiction is a lack of appropriate coping mechanisms. There is no magic that goes on in treatment except withholding the substance until it's physical grasp is loosened. The rest is counseling and teaching new ways to cope.

Addicts aren't evil nor are the substances they use to medicate themselves. It's hard to get a person to the point where they're ready mentally to fight the dragon but you sure don't do it by pooh poohing them or being soft on them. Tough love is the best description of what I think works the best.

I don't buy that addiction is a disease either. I think that was a great PR campaign to get people to allow themselves into rehab. If they think of it like cancer or diabetes they're more likely to accept help.

I don't think the terminology is important!
Let me ask, do you think depression is a disease? Is any of the dozens of mental/emotional problems qualify as a disease?
For some reason the old joke about the Italian fellow, when asked about the Vatican outlawing birth control, comes to mind here.
He no playa the game, he no makea the rules.
Jim

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
arky,

I think you and I are closer to agreement than once thought. The difference between you and I is that the addicts I've known were either clients whom I had no emotional investment in and thus couldn't hurt me, and friends/family who really took nothing from me due to their addiction. And I have seen the benefit of offering a little help, though often it has to come with the threat of some consequences to get compliance.

War Damn Eagle!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think that's right...we just disagree on what consequences should be used as the threat to get compliance.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 03/13/07.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,763 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,070
Posts18,501,478
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.