Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I hope LeupoldOptics addresses the points raised in my above post.

DF

Never happen. There is no win in doing so.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
As an owner of a VX2, VX3i, and 2 VX-R's i have to say they are all pretty close in optical quality to my eye with MAYBE a SLIGHT edge to the VX3i. Maybe.

What's more important to me with these scopes is that they are ALL excellent and fairly priced. I have an off the shelf VXR with the red dot and duplex reticle, and a Custom Shopped VX-R with the Green dot and the TMR reticle. IMO, the illuminated dot is a game changer in low light and has a wide range of adjustment to suit.

There are only two things I don't like about the VX-R: it's a chunky scope due to the 30mm tube and it is better suited to a short action rifle due to the long cone on the objective lens making offset scope mounts necessary for many longer actions.

Side by side, I can't tell a big difference in normal lighting between them. YMMV

EDIT: all mine are 3x9x40

Last edited by Disseminator; 08/15/18.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM

DF

Never happen. There is no win in doing so.

It would seem to me, they should realize where there's smoke...

I think addressing these concerns could only help. Hiding and dodging, not a confidence builder.

IMO.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Disseminator
As an owner of a VX2, VX3i, and 2 VX-R's i have to say they are all pretty close in optical quality to my eye with MAYBE a SLIGHT edge to the VX3i. Maybe.

What's more important to me with these scopes is that they are ALL excellent and fairly priced. I have an off the shelf VXR with the red dot and duplex reticle, and a Custom Shopped VX-R with the Green dot and the TMR reticle. IMO, the illuminated dot is a game changer in low light and has a wide range of adjustment to suit.

There are only two things I don't like about the VX-R: it's a chunky scope due to the 30mm tube and it is better suited to a short action rifle due to the long cone on the objective lens making offset scope mounts necessary for many longer actions.

Side by side, I can't tell a big difference in normal lighting between them. YMMV

EDIT: all mine are 3x9x40

Yes,I would agree. With a normal hunting scope of standard magnification,I have never needed better glass in any VX3 or VX3,and the VXR looks just as good.

If I could only trust everything else,it would be worth a bit more money to me.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

DF

It would be nice if he did, but (and I mean no offence or insult) such things are probably far above his pay grade.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Optically, VX-R seemed to be about equal to VX-3, but it has been a while since I looked at either. This is how they were around the time VX-R was introduced.

As an overall package, I definitely prefer VX-R to VX-3, owing to its excellent reticle illumination. I can't remember the last time I recommended a Leupold scope to someone that wasn't VX-R, VX-5, VX-6 or Mark 5.

ILya

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

DF

It would be nice if he did, but (and I mean no offence or insult) such things are probably far above his pay grade.

Probably. But, he could check into it, find out and report back.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I talked with Leopold about my two VX-R’s, wanting to know how they stacked up against their other products. I love both of mine...very rugged, dependable and bright.

Mr Leupold told me that the R’s, subjectively, are about halfway between a VX-2 and a 3.

This is also what Leupold told me. I could not discern any difference in low light between the 3-9 VX-R and the 2.5-8 VX-3 it replaces in low light, but the fire dot sure does help in very low light.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think they did a good job with the Fire Dot.

Electronic components don't have the lifetime Leopold warranty, however.

Hopefully, it won't cost an arm and a leg to repair.

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Great scope.
I've had about half a dozen. I really like the 2-7 and the 3-9 patrol.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Used a 3-9x40 VX-R CDS to take a bighorn sheep at 570 yards some years ago. Liked the scope, but...
Vividly remember wishing for a bit more magnification.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,187
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.