Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
OP Offline
P
I think I have read all the published articles about this rifle, but I've never seen an explanation for what appears to be a ring about 1/3 the way up the barrel. Is that for a stock attachment mount? Or perhaps part of a barrel recoil lug? Curiosity has got the best of me so thought I would ask here.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It has a dovetail slot for iron sight

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
P
OP Offline
P

Possibly? Doesn't seem near meaty enough to support a sight - looks to be no more than 1/4" wide? Don't know how to post pictures, so stole the below address from Interweb:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/sites/fieldandstream.com/files/styles/655_1x_/public/images/2016/12/big6.jpg?itok=e3yzVG_9&fc=50,50

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Potashminer
I think I have read all the published articles about this rifle, but I've never seen an explanation for what appears to be a ring about 1/3 the way up the barrel. Is that for a stock attachment mount? Or perhaps part of a barrel recoil lug? Curiosity has got the best of me so thought I would ask here.
Potashminer-
I suspect your guess about the recoil lug is correct. In the description of the construction of the rifle published in Rifle magazine #101 (Sept-Oct 1985), there is a note that Shoemaker had a gunsmith cut the barrel to 21 inches, crown it, and then add a barrel-mounted recoil lug and a front sight. The fiberglass stock was set up with "a through-bolt behind each recoil lug".

The photo of the rifle on the cover of the July 2003 issue of Rifle magazine shows the barrel band pretty clearly.
---Bob
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That thing IS a tool ! All compliments ! ! !

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 08/09/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I believe it has changed colors over the years.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why a front sight? I guess he has a receiver sight for it as well. powdr

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’d like to start a collection to have Phil’s gun refinished! If for no other reason than it won’t be as offensive in future campfire pics!

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Bettin' Phil likes it just as it is. smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Weaver rings. Just sayin'

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yeah, Weaver STEEL rings. Any wonder ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Those look like "everyday" Weaver rings, albeit old ones based on the knobs. If so, they are steel tops but aluminum bottoms, correct? I believe the same rings are still on Finn Aagaard's .375, another well known rifle.

Just to avoid any confusion, I think they are great rings and I think it is cool to find them on such iconic rifles.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 08/09/18.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I assembled Ole Ugly I was living in a cabin my wife and I had built with no electricity so I built everything with hand tools. I didn't know anything about the recoil of the 458, except that it ruined a lot of stocks, so I did everything I could think of to make sure it never happened . I added crossbolts to the Brown Pred stock, bedded it with Devcon liquid steel mixed with steel shavings from the floor of a machine shop, and since the first few MK X . 458 bbl actions did not have extra recoil lugs I sawed out a piece of 1/4" steel plate to be somewhat like the recoil lug on a Rem 700 and drilled a hole in it and slid it over the barrel, which I had wrapped with Emory paper, twisted it around until it was tapered like the barrel, drilled a hole through it that just barely touched the barrel, and pinned it in place.

I knew the Weaver scope rings were tough as we used them to mount a scope on an M-2 .50 cal while I was in Vietnam, so used them.

40 years and a hell lot of miles, bears, moose and caribou later, the rifle is still going strong ! I still have hopes of taking it after Cape buffalo

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
458Win,

Thanks for the additional information. Does the rifle wear a Wisner style two-position safety?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I prefer the simplicity of the two position safety.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

No offense, but that only reveals a lack of knowledge...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How's that? He knew they were weavers......

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 458Win
Yes, I prefer the simplicity of the two position safety.

I hear you. The only time you are truly "at risk" when unloading is the brief time from flipping the safety off to opening the bolt. After that, one never needs to close the bolt to unload, even on a push feed blind magazine rifle, let alone a controlled feed. If you can't point the thing in a safe direction for that brief time, maybe golf is your sport. If the rifle does happen to go bang when you flip the safety off, you have rifle issues that need fixing. (Of course you know all this. I am putting it out there for people that do not, because I think I learned it on a forum.)

I have seen pictures of at least two different incredibly ornate, incredibly expensive David Miller Mauser rifles. Both had Wisner style safeties. Model 70 type safeties for Mauser rifles are not cheap, but I'm pretty sure money wasn't the issue on those two rifles!

Somewhere I read where a smart guy wrote that the only reason for the middle position on a three position safety was to make field stripping the bolt easy. That made sense. So my dumb question to you is how do you field strip the bolt on that rifle? I would think that would be a pretty handy attribute for a professional's Alaskan working rifle?

Also, I'm building a 9.3 x 62 from an old J.C. Higgins Model 50 FN Belgian Mauser action. I'm trying to decide on a safety. I know I want a side swing of one type or another. So, your answer is more than just academic to me.

Thanks so much,
Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 08/10/18.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Brad

None taken, but did you happen to read the part a few posts later where I clarified that I really like Weaver rings and think it was cool they are found on both Mr.Shoemaker's .458 and Finn Agaard's .375? Two very iconic and famous rifles that have seen no telling how many miles and how many animals both having the same rings on them for no telling how many years.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad

None taken, but did you happen to read the part a few posts later where I clarified that I really like Weaver rings and think it was cool they are found on both Mr.Shoemaker's .458 and Finn Agaard's .375? Two very iconic and famous rifles that have seen no telling how many miles and how many animals both having the same rings on them for no telling how many years.

Then why question the use of Weavers? I’m not following, but perhaps I’ve missed something...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.