Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
My brother is considering the Leupold VX-R.

What level glass does the VX-R series have, is it VX3 or VX2?

Thanks,

Dan

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Vx-2 I believe. I own 3 VX-R's. Great scopes for the money and my favorite hunting scope.Bought all 3 off e-bay for $300-$350ea and that's new in box. You will pay more for a 4-12x.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Smokecheck
Vx-2 I believe.

That’s what I’ve been told.

But, VX-2’s are pretty close to VX-3’s from what I’ve observed.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My 4-12x rated a 7+ on my night-time optics chart test--which is what a 6x42 FX-3 rated.

7+ is very good; no scope has ever rated better than 8 in the test.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Love my 4x12 VX-R. It’s my favorite night time scope for shooting pigs here at the Ranch.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Love my 4x12 VX-R. It’s my favorite night time scope for shooting pigs here at the Ranch.

I need to thin some.
What kinda light source? The green “hunter” lights? Q-beam. Full moon?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It’s pretty bright with just a full moon. But I usually use a green light for varmints & pigs.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My 4-12x rated a 7+ on my night-time optics chart test--which is what a 6x42 FX-3 rated.

7+ is very good; no scope has ever rated better than 8 in the test.

I use a 4x12-50 on nightime hogs - love that scope .
Glass is great .
I've seen a couple in the classifieds here that didn't sell very fast - kind of puzzled me .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Why would anybody want to buy a VX6 when the VX-R is available. I have 2 of them and they are my favorite.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I talked with Leopold about my two VX-R’s, wanting to know how they stacked up against their other products. I love both of mine...very rugged, dependable and bright.

Mr Leupold told me that the R’s, subjectively, are about halfway between a VX-2 and a 3.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I talked with Leopold about my two VX-R’s, wanting to know how they stacked up against their other products. I love both of mine...very rugged, dependable and bright.

Mr Leupold told me that the R’s, subjectively, are about halfway between a VX-2 and a 3.

IMO, that's a pretty narrow gap.

The difference, at least to my eye, is hard to distinguish.

The new 2's and 3's are a lot better than the old ones.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by andrews1958
Why would anybody want to buy a VX6 when the VX-R is available. I have 2 of them and they are my favorite.

You may see some difference if you compare them side by side. VX-6 glass is pretty good. I like the VX-R, have handled them, don't own one, have two VX-6 2-12x42 duplex, not illuminated.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I looked at the 3-9 VXR with the mil reticle and fire dot today and liked it. I some times think worrying about the last degree of available light being transmitted through your scopes lenses is not as important as having reliable adjustments in the turrets. When I started my mediocre Alaskan hunting career in 1965 I thought the old A303 Springfield a K4 Weaver post reticle were state of the art.

Maybe if I got that scope I could zero it for 100 yards, as in "set and forget" and then figure out which hash mark to use for 200 to 500 yard shooting with my .338 Winny load, which is a Barnes TTSX at 2,836 fps mv and then I would not have to give turret twisting any more thought for my favorite hunting rifle and load.

Are the adjustments on the VXR scopes mil or moa and does it have to be on the highest power for the hash marks to be consistent?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Ballistic reticles in FFP scopes, like some Euros, work at all power ranges.

SFP scopes, like most American scopes, need to be at full power for a ballistic reticle to work, unless one wants to make calculations for various power settings. To me, that's a PITA, so I don't.

I had a Swaro SFP, TDS reticle, scope had to be set at 18X for the reticle to be accurate. I traded it. Got into twisting.

But people talk bad about Leupold ballistic turrets. I've had no issues, but respect the opinions of those reporting such.

DF

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Slidellkid,

Happy to throw out some more info on this. The VX-R, for the most part, has our Index Matched lens system, and I think Godog was told correctly that most folks would judge their low-light performance as between a VX-2 and VX-3i. That said, what really sets the VX-R apart is the availability of the bright Firedot-style illumination that they all have. Starting out right around $500, that's by far our best value in an illuminated riflescope.

Hope this helps!

Be Bold. Be Adventurous. Be Relentless. // We do not actively engage in threads or respond to private messages. For customer service help, please contact us directly at 1-800-LEUPOLD or [email protected].
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems to me Leupold could take steps to counter negative things being said about tracking, holding zero, etc.

I really like your products, have a number of them, but don’t like a cloud hanging over their reputation.

CS is excellence. But good CS is not a confidence builder while out on a hunt.

Would appreciate your thoughts. I’m sure the company is aware of these issues.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a VX-R 4-12, and really like the glass. When evaluating scopes too purchase in stores, the crisp image of the VX-R stood out to me. It was also very forgiving with regard to eye position, which seemed to make it faster to get in position. I actually preferred it over the VX-3 image, and thought it was pretty competitive with the VX-6 image. Keep in mind this was in very brightly lit retail stores, so low light may be a different story.

As for the functional aspects that trump image quality, I haven't had any issue with zero retention, and that includes a fairly hearty tumble from about 30" onto a concrete slab. It is mounted on 243 in Talley LW's for reference. I have NOT twisted turrets on it....yet, so can't speak for tracking, but I don't have high hopes. If/when I find a load for the rifle that is twist worthy, I intend to find out, good or bad.

Last edited by drano 25; 08/14/18.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I hope LeupoldOptics addresses the points raised in my above post.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm not sure Leupold even knows. I've got two different answers when I asked a different rep on separate occasions.

Whatever it is,I was always impressed with the lower powers I have seen. I have not seen their higher power versions.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Looks to me like the VX-R is at least VX-3i quality, maybe not quite VX-6, although IME, VX-2 is pretty close to VX-3 or VX-3i. I can't tell any difference, VX-3/ VX-3i.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 35 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.