Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They are probably the majority of what I shoot anymore. I have had great luck with Ballistic Tips, Accubonds and Varmegedons and have never been able to see a difference in 1sts vs 2nds.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've shot a lot of Nosler seconds and overruns from SPS> What I've found is most of the seconds are a grain or two off in weight. Not enough to mat its time.ter. The deer and bear I've shot with them didn't know the difference. I use them in Accubonds and Partitions. I am going to have to try the BTs again. I soured on the early ones due to explosive expansion. Now that they have toughned up

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The way factory seconds shoot it does not make much sense to buy firsts.....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by lastround
I’ve been watching and waiting for some more 7mm 120 grain Ballistic Tips from SPS. They shoot great in my 7mm-08.

Yep, my go to 7-08 bullet. Great WT/hog killing combo.

If you wait, they'll eventually list some. Gotta be patient. When they do list'em, you gotta jump on it.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mmgravy

Agree.

It's like the wife going to the Mall, finding a "bargain"... grin

I did tell her, you can go broke, "saving money"... blush

Wish I had in one big pile, all the money she's saved me over the years... wink

DF

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve run into different ogive lengths on the 180 gr partitions on different lots. Changed my coal and life was good again. They mostly seem to be over runs, or cosmetic.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
I’ve run into different ogive lengths on the 180 gr partitions on different lots. Changed my coal and life was good again. They mostly seem to be over runs, or cosmetic.

I've run into that a few times with Nosler "firsts" from different Lots. Ballistic Tips.

Last edited by J23; 08/15/18.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using Nosler 2nds Accubonds and Partitions for a long time. Can't even remember when I started using them. Unlike most others here, I can't say that they shoot just as good as the 1rsts because I never sat down and shot with the firsts and the seconds at the same time in the same rifle with the same powder and brass and primer at the same distance, etc.

Nevertheless, they have killed many deer for me and I will continue to shoot them.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Godogs57
These two bucks fell to 7mm, 150 grain seconds....both were in agreement in after-the-fact interviews that they hurt badly when hit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is the weight on the first one correct? He looks mighty slim for 277#.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Godogs, my only 10 point green scored 138 3/8" but we guessed him at about 135# on the hoof. I wouldn't mind hunting where you do. Both are beautiful bucks. I don't doubt the weight. Those are some long body deer

Dirtfarmer, one time Dillard's had a 50% off sale. It took me 6 months to convince my wife she didn't save me ,$600 dollars. I finally told her if she had saved $600, it would be in the savings account.

Big Joe, do you know if they have toughened up the 6.5 120 grain. About 10 years ago I shot an old doe, probably 100#. I lost a lot of meat from the destructiveness of the ballistic tip. Haven't used them on game since. It was at the time the most accurate bullet out of my 96 Mauser 6.5x55.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Texczech
Godogs, my only 10 point green scored 138 3/8" but we guessed him at about 135# on the hoof. I wouldn't mind hunting where you do. Both are beautiful bucks. I don't doubt the weight. Those are some long body deer

Dirtfarmer, one time Dillard's had a 50% off sale. It took me 6 months to convince my wife she didn't save me ,$600 dollars. I finally told her if she had saved $600, it would be in the savings account.

Big Joe, do you know if they have toughened up the 6.5 120 grain. About 10 years ago I shot an old doe, probably 100#. I lost a lot of meat from the destructiveness of the ballistic tip. Haven't used them on game since. It was at the time the most accurate bullet out of my 96 Mauser 6.5x55.

Unless you shot a 100-pound doe through the hams, you did not lose a lot of meat. There is not much meat on the front end anyway. I will take a bit of damage, over having to track them.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I shoot them all the time.About the only thing I've run into is sometimes the length may be slightly different from lot to lot and I may have to adjust my seating depth.Other than that.They are very accurate.

This. I have had a few 140 gr, 6.5 cal., accubonds give different measurements to the lands. If loading max oal lengths, may want to measure each individual bullet before loading.

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 08/17/18.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by mmgravy

Agree.

It's like the wife going to the Mall, finding a "bargain"... grin

I did tell her, you can go broke, "saving money"... blush

Wish I had in one big pile, all the money she's saved me over the years... wink

DF

My first wife was like that.....

She'd buy anything on sale... she'd tell me how much money she'd save..

I'd ask her how much money did it cost me for her to save $300 on stuff we didn't need....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,773
Posts18,495,725
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.