Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fyrpower

Where I hunt & have hunted I/We can’t control the deer traveling beyond our boundaries.
So far, ANY Buck I let walk....will NOT be passed up by the next guy.

Now I don’t shoot any/every buck I see. I haven’t killed a buck in some years that didn’t weigh 170 # & ^^^ to 194#.
I cull inferior bucks but so far they’ve been mature and/or trailing Does.

I hunt for the best bucks I can see. IF I use trail cams & see BIG bucks... I could be waiting and hunting DEAD deer.
You have to control the acreage OR have coop from neighbors. That does not exist where I’ve hunted.

Great. Pix. Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Jerry...was the same way here for years, place i used to hunt had plenty of guys on the edges shooting everything that moves. So, we knew that any buck we saw, might never be seen again.

we later sold that place and bought the farm i have now, and it took a few years to get used to the fact we could actually have a pretty
good chance of seeing the same deer year for years as they mature....so, we started trying to make the place as attractive as possible to hold a lot of deer.

Has been interesting watching them grow. We run a bunch of trail cams &its kinda like Christmas morning when pulling cards......never know what sorta surprise we're gonna get.

Best of luck this fall on your hunts!

G~

============================================================

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
Originally Posted by skeen
Friend, to pass that buck up, you have way more willpower than me. smile

had kinda set my sights on a bit more bone. grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's an awesome buck right there.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stacking up some nice eight pointers up there Lawdwaz.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

H O L Y chips ! oughtta be against the law. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

Ka B A M !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Otter6

[Linked Image]

Nice looking umm, err, cough, Remington.

I like em. Tell me about that one please.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've enjoyed looking at all the pics. Thanks to all for posting.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
some more 8's...

had a wide racked buck we called Captain Hook on the farm...his tine tips hooked in a bit.
had him on camera over a 3 year period...then he vanished. no trace of him for 2 years.

after the 2 year absence, my dad was in a ladder stand in muzzleloader season that overlooked a food plot & big clearing that we set up; the day had started pretty rainy & windy, and he was at first going to stay home, but decided to come down in case it cleared....by early afternoon the skies cleared, and it turned out to be a good day to be in a tree...he was only up there about 45 minutes when the Captain strolled by...

[Linked Image]

next one we called Gladius; his tines were noticeably flat & bladed, kinda looked like a roman broad-sword....each year he tended to have a slight kicker starting on his right side, first started seeing him in 2014.

2015:
[Linked Image]

2016:
[Linked Image]

my son punched him in muzzleloader season:
[Linked Image]

============================================================

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'Bout the best I can do for an 8 from PA.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A decent 10 maybe, most were average though

[Linked Image]

Last edited by pahick; 08/19/18.
IC B3

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Works for me pahick. What part of our great state do you hunt? Most of my killing is done between Dayton and Smicksburg.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
This thread is for sure a success. Got those deer hunting juices flowing. Off to a 400 yard deer target shoot with my daughter today. We really enjoy it. Gotta love these whitetail!

Keep them coming!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Works for me pahick. What part of our great state do you hunt? Most of my killing is done between Dayton and Smicksburg.

North of 80, south of 6. Straight up the middle. Always was a big woods hunter. Always will be.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by jwall

[Linked Image]

Nice looking umm, err, cough, Remington.

I like em. Tell me about that one please.

Jerry

It's an older production,(late70s) 700. Started life as a 25/06. Good shooter too,but fouled quickly. It was my father in laws rifle. He ran it hard hunting groundhogs,and cleaning practices back in the day were lacking. At any rate. It now has a Pac Nor 280AI tube screwed in her. I picked up a new take-off CDL stock here on the fire. The action is Cera Koted graphite black. It likes 140 grain bullets,as do I. That guy it's laying on absorbed a 140 Pro Hunter. Made one lunge and piled up dead as a door nail. Sweet.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by pahick

North of 80, south of 6. Straight up the middle. Always was a big woods hunter. Always will be.

Nice country. Looked for a camp up around Lantz Corners for a spell. Never found what I was looking for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pahick

Nice country. Looked for a camp up around Lantz Corners for a spell. Never found what I was looking for.

Never hunted the Allegheny National Forest. Heard it can be feast or famine. But, what big woods huntin isnt? Wouldnt have it any other way.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hick, that 8 hanging on the pole is beefy. Did you get a weight on him?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
North Florida 8 pointer

[Linked Image]

Another buck on my farm I've been after

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Texas 8 pointer

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Hick, that 8 hanging on the pole is beefy. Did you get a weight on him?

Dont have scales. But we measured the girth just under 44". I figure maybe 230-240 or so

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 51 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,899
Posts18,518,456
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.