Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunner500
Agreed men, my 338 cal LR elk rig weighs 10lbs all up, doesn't bother me one bit, it's really pretty nice after humping 12-16 lb Sharps rifles around the hills, it fires 338 cal 300 gr Accubonds at 3000 fps, it's one of the ones I sent you a bughole target pic of Beretzs.

Running the numbers on a .7 bc at 3000 fps and 300 grains translates into some really good LR power/wind/momentum numbers.

Geez, Gunner, what type of artillery are you using that launches a .338" 300gr AB at 3,000 fps?

I don't reload, and the only option I have for the 300gr AB in the .340 Wby is one loaded by Nosler. My chrono gave me an average of 2,538 fps out of my rifle with those--right at about what Nosler claims: 2,540 fps. I was surprised because, in my experience, Nosler generally inflates the velocity numbers in their specs. The published B.C. for that bullet is a full 0.720, which is getting up there. Plugging that 2,540 fps into the computer gives about 1,975 fps at 500 yds (2,601 ft-lbs), which is slightly better in terms of energy than the 225gr TTSX load described above. If you're starting out with 3,000 fps, it still should be moving at 2,371 fps (3,745 ft-lbs) at 500 yds. But you're talking about 6,000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. What cartridge/rifle does that?

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hello MH, my rifle is an old custom MK-V wearing a stainless 28" Shilen, 338-378 easily gets those numbers with Retumbo powder, it wears a 2.5-10x42 Nightforce compact scope.

I bought that rifle from a kid walking around the Tulsa gun show with his arm in a sling over 25 years ago, you cant make that kind of chit upgrin, it was a 460 that he or someone had cut the barrel down to 20"s, I bought it for the action, sold the stock and gave the 460 barrel to my 'smith for a nice tent stake.

The rifle sits in a nicely bedded Pacific Research/Rimrock syn stock, all moly metal is black matte cerakoted, I've never heard any sporting arm slap 500 yard steel with such ferocity.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Jogged the memory banks, bought that rifle in the spring of 1989 from that kid in Tulsa.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dang gunner, you definitely answered my original question, and put the .340 to shame. I knew there is always a bigger fish, but didn't know that there was a 10-lb package that could do what you're talking about.

I doubt I would move up to what you have, but if I did, I might want to put a can or brake on it. Did you?

Do you have any pics of that thing?

Running the numbers, if you sight that in at 1” high at 100yds, you’re only an inch low at 215 yds. At 500 yds, you’re only 35” low (7 MOA) and that thing is still carrying 3,745 ft-lbs—more than most factory-loaded 300 Win Mags do at the muzzle. At 750 yds, you’re still producing the same energy as a 30-06 does at the muzzle.

Pretty wicked.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, no brake, pm me a cell number, I'll grab it out of the safe and shoot ya a pic, here at 555 altitude the numbers look really good, run em again at 8500 feet elk mountain high and they really fly. smile

Recoil from that rifle is not so bad, shooting 416, 458, 500 Nitro, 505 Gibbs, 577 Nitro all the way up to 8-Bore puts any standard heavy medium bore hunting cartridge in the well mannered category, plus, shooting these bigger 338's at game will all but guarantee we'll have on plenty of extra clothing.

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Gunner. PM sent.

Running the numbers further out, at 1,800 yds (over a mile), that bullet would still be going almost 1,200 fps.

Have you tried the 265gr LRAB? I wonder what velocities you could get with that. It has an even higher B.C. of 0.732.

If you could push the 265gr LRAB at 3,200 fps (which is my rough guess), you have some even more insane numbers. At 1,800 yds, the bullet would be moving at almost 1,300 fps and be only 52 MOA low; 3.2 seconds after you pull the trigger.

I’m not suggesting anyone would consider shooting anything other than targets at a mile, but your rifle likely has the capability of doing that under ideal conditions with a bigger scope.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, if a man has the skill, if you can see it and hit it, you can kill it with that old deep punching bastid. smile

10X for some reason has always been enough magnification for me, not counting if I were to build a specialty prairie dog gun or the like.

I've read about the lighter LRAB's, don't really know if they'd hold up inside 100 yards should a man need to hit a big ugly at warp speed, that 300 gr Accubond is a TSOB.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For crying out loud, thanks a lot, Gunner!!! You just practically turned my .340 into a .30 Carbine.

All, here’s the pic:

[Linked Image]

Let me know if you ever want to sell that thing.

So, even though the Nosler boxes containing the .340 Wby factory-loaded 300gr ABs say that the 300gr AB is a “Long Range” variant, the Nosler website lists the 300gr bullet as a standard AB with a spec minimum velocity of 1,800 fps. The 265gr is identified as a LR AB with a spec minimum velocity of 1,300 fps. I think/suspect that the LR and std ABs primarily are different as to impact performance up front, and the LR AB has a thinner jacket up front but similarly thick base. At least that’s what the pics seem to show. I would feel comfortable shooting the 265gr LRAB at just about anything. I shot through about two feet of deer, including some bone, in the pic above with a 168gr LR AB, and it made that huge exit hole. Adding another 100grs of bullet to that I think would do fine on almost anything---certainly anything short of a giant brown bear---on this continent. Personally, I would be fine with it for anything. It wouldn't really be an improvement in your gun though until you got out past 1,000 yds.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, Thanks MarineHawk, the old basher is about 260 rounds into it's second barrel, it has plenty of fire left in the stove, if I ever decide to sell it, I'll give you first shot, for me, the 300 gr AB's will cover anything nicely I'd ever hunt that rifle with, keeping in mind, running a 300 gr AB into a tough critter like elk or moose, maybe even a little below 1800 should still initiate enough expansion, I'll save my share of the LRAB's for the sure nuff long range hunting guys, I just play around anymore.

Did you happen to notice that nice grey, black and blue 'bruise pattern' paint job on the stock? Darren75 from right here at the 'fire painted that for me, it somehow fits the rifle perfectly. grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I like that 308. Do you mind sharing the specs? I wish mine was 8 pounds sometimes!!!

Thanks BSA.

I practiced lots of field-position shooting for years in the USMC. I still do that when I can a few times a year when I’m on private land. Almost all of the game I have shot has been offhand because that was the only option I had. I usually have a shooting stick with me in recent times, and do practice at the range with those.

The 308 is a DPMS GII Hunter with a 20” barrel. It starts out at 7lb-12oz, and goes up in weight with whatever you add.

[Linked Image]

BSA, below probably is more information than you desire about it, but I hope you can skip over anything you find unnecessary.

I got it last year after accumulating a bunch of credit card rewards points (largely for reimbursable overseas travel) and converted those to Cabela’s gift certificates. See https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...er-centerfire-rifle/2042285.uts?slotId=3 I have done that several times, and it feels almost like getting free guns.

I have settled mostly in on the Nosler-loaded 168-gr LRAB loading. My chrono gave me the remarkably-consistent string for that load out of that that rifle: 2,613 fps, 2,615 fps, 2,616 fps, 2,609 fps, 2,612 fps = 2,613 fps avg. I can get 1/2" to 3/4" groups out of it at 100 yds with that factory ammo. A couple reviewers in the Cabela’s link above say they get about the same. I have several semi-auto rifles, including a Colt 5.56mm HBAR and this free-floated M1A:

[Linked Image]

That DPMS shoots better than any semi-auto I ever have shot. I have not had any failures to fire with it, except when I tried some Hornady Lite reduced-recoil .308 ammo that I was going to allow my sons to shoot out of it. Not enough pressure to operate the system.

DPMS makes a lighter 16”-barreled one, but I’m not a big fan of 16” barrels on rifles shooting high-velocity rifle cartridges, as opposed to carbine or handgun rounds.

These reviews explain the fairly-clever way they got the weight down:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/1/5/downsizing-dpms-gii-ars/ (“This GII Hunter I tested blew me away with its accuracy. I was primarily testing that rifle for our sister publication American Hunter and didn't even plan to include it in this article, but the performance is too impressive to ignore. American Hunter uses three, three-shots groups with three different loads as a test protocol. With the Black Hills 168-gr. load, the first group measured 0.30". That was the best, but the average of three groups was 0.47". The average for all nine groups was 0.80". From an out-of-the-box AR-L shooting factory ammunition, that is very impressive accuracy.”). That guy got the best results with 168gr bullets, which is my experience as well. For example, mine doesn’t shoot the 130gr TTSX bullets very well. I suspect that the author’s groups grew a bit over time from 0.3” to 0.47” because, as suggested above, that tends to happen as barrels get hotter.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/gun-review-dpms-gii-hunter

https://gundigest.com/reviews/dpms-gii-rifles

This one discusses the same as to the 16” version:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/10/jeremy-s/dpms-gii-compact-hunter-gun-review/

Very nice man. I like it. Thanks for sharing that info..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went to the range again today, primarily to help my son sight in his .243 Win., but also brought the .340 with the same loads.

This time, I never let the barrel get more than a little warm to the touch.

I shot four 3-shot groups at 100 yds. Here are my last three:

[Linked Image]

That looks damn good. How's your shooting in different field positions?

Different field positions? Like high karate kick then shoot? Or the I'm out of shape up the hill fat man breathing shooting position? Or window rolled down shooting out the truck shooting position? Shooting across the hood of the truck across a road shooting position?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Went to the range again today, primarily to help my son sight in his .243 Win., but also brought the .340 with the same loads.

This time, I never let the barrel get more than a little warm to the touch.

I shot four 3-shot groups at 100 yds. Here are my last three:

[Linked Image]

That looks damn good. How's your shooting in different field positions?

Different field positions? Like high karate kick then shoot? Or the I'm out of shape up the hill fat man breathing shooting position? Or window rolled down shooting out the truck shooting position? Shooting across the hood of the truck across a road shooting position?

If that's how you roll man..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite shooting position on a hill shooting down hill, you are sliding downhill cause you are sitting in grass. Or shooting uphill and the best rest you can find also involves another rock jammed into ribs.. those are my favorite..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
My favorite shooting position on a hill shooting down hill, you are sliding downhill cause you are sitting in grass. Or shooting uphill and the best rest you can find also involves another rock jammed into ribs.. those are my favorite..

You left out the freaking sticker in your ribs and the cheat grass in your socks.. but yeah, btdt..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL, Thanks MarineHawk, the old basher is about 260 rounds into it's second barrel, it has plenty of fire left in the stove, if I ever decide to sell it, I'll give you first shot, for me, the 300 gr AB's will cover anything nicely I'd ever hunt that rifle with, keeping in mind, running a 300 gr AB into a tough critter like elk or moose, maybe even a little below 1800 should still initiate enough expansion, I'll save my share of the LRAB's for the sure nuff long range hunting guys, I just play around anymore.

Did you happen to notice that nice grey, black and blue 'bruise pattern' paint job on the stock? Darren75 from right here at the 'fire painted that for me, it somehow fits the rifle perfectly. grin

Yeah, I really like the look of that stock.

Mine’s much more pedestrian.

[Linked Image]

And an oral conversation added to the eccentricity of its appearance. I ordered a base and rings from Near Manufacturing in Canada over the phone nine years ago. At the end of the conversation, he said something like: “Blue okay”? I said: “Yes.” I thought he said “Blued”—like meaning black in color. I’m generally a function-over-form guy and didn’t want to send the rings back. So, I accepted that I have a hunting rifle that even some New Orleans pimps might blush at carrying. Such is life.

My .375 Wby DGR is more respectable:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 340 Roy is a wicked round. Nice moose

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

You left out the freaking sticker in your ribs and the cheat grass in your socks.. but yeah, btdt..

Man you forgot cactus, Pine needles poking you in the face, slipping and sliding on ferns, tripping over deadfall Doug fir shooting position.. lol

Last edited by 79S; 09/02/18.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Man you forgot cactus, Pine needles poking you in the face, slipping and sliding on ferns, tripping over deadfall Doug fir shooting position.. lol

Any chance you could stop?

If you have a beef with BSA, I don’t see the need to air it here. If you think practicing shooting from field positions is a bad idea, why not make a case for that with something other than nasty sarcasm. State your case.

I do practice some field shooting when I can (and get my sons to do so as well), because It’s different in term of what you can hit and how confidently at a given distance. In the USMC, we did standing offhand, kneeling offhand, sitting, and prone---over and over and over again. My barely-teen son was shooting under a MOA from the bench, and I had him shoot offhand, and he realized his limitations and range doing that. This was good, because he shot a buck at 65 yards last fall and waited to shoot until it was that close.

[Linked Image]

What is your point? Why the sarcasm? Not apparent to me.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

If you have a beef with BSA, I don’t see the need to air it here. If you think practicing shooting from field positions is a bad idea, why not make a case for that with something other than nasty sarcasm. State your case.

I do practice some field shooting when I can (and get my sons to do so as well), because It’s different in term of what you can hit and how confidently at a given distance. In the USMC, we did standing offhand, kneeling offhand, sitting, and prone---over and over and over again. My barely-teen son was shooting under a MOA from the bench, and I had him shoot offhand, and he realized his limitations and range doing that. This was good, because he shot a buck at 65 yards last fall and waited to shoot until it was that close.

[Linked Image]

Lol I know BSA we give each other grief all the time.. he's a good dude.... he knows I'm messing with him..

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

Oh and I will never stop...

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 160user, 16gage, 60 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,318
Posts18,505,737
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.