Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just don't see any real need to argue for bullets over 160 grains in a 270 or a 280AI. If you need more than that use your 30-06. I can't imagine many of us having only one rifle.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
I just don't see any real need to argue for bullets over 160 grains in a 270 or a 280AI. If you need more than that use your 30-06. I can't imagine many of us having only one rifle.

I can imagine having one rifle on a hunting trip and wanting it to serve two purposes, this is from another thread:

Originally Posted by smokepole
I bit the bullet and went guided in Alaska. Didn't hunt elk that year for the first time in many years. But it was well worth that tradeoff, you can hunt elk every year. Do it before you get too old, a sheep guide will wear you out.

Incidental to the 270/280 AI thread, we found ourselves looking at spending the night down on the river waiting for our pickup in an area fairly covered with bear tracks and sh**. With two bloody packs stuffed with sheep meat and a cape. I was carrying a .260 loaded with 123 grain bullets but found myself wishing I had my .280 AI instead, loaded with some of those 175 partitions that "no one shoots." It would have been perfect for that kind of hunt loaded with light, flat-shooting bullets for sheep and heavy bullets for anything else.

Luckily for us our ride got there before dark and we didn't have to camp there.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
......so then the OP yelled "phuqq it!!!", bought a box of Corlokts, kilt him a deer, and lived happily ever after.

The end.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rickt300

I can imagine having one rifle on a hunting trip and wanting it to serve two purposes, this is from another thread:

I bit the bullet and went guided in Alaska. Didn't hunt elk that year for the first time in many years. But it was well worth that tradeoff, you can hunt elk every year. Do it before you get too old, a sheep guide will wear you out.

Incidental to the 270/280 AI thread, we found ourselves looking at spending the night down on the river waiting for our pickup in an area fairly covered with bear tracks and sh**. With two bloody packs stuffed with sheep meat and a cape. I was carrying a .260 loaded with 123 grain bullets but found myself wishing I had my .280 AI instead, loaded with some of those 175 partitions that "no one shoots." It would have been perfect for that kind of hunt loaded with light, flat-shooting bullets for sheep and heavy bullets for anything else.

Luckily for us our ride got there before dark and we didn't have to camp there.

A 160 in a 280 will do everything a 175 will as it pertains to bears. If your really concerned with bears a 300 mag of some sort might be a better choice.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Reading comprehension is not a strength then?

"280 AI vs. .270......"

Can't fault the logic though. "A .300 is better than a .280, but a 175 is the same as a 160."

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I comprehend what your saying loud and clear. Its just BS IMO.

Last edited by BWalker; 08/24/18.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Bigger is better, except when I say it's not."

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is like a tale of the coolest and the queerest..... lol!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Real quick.......can anyone tell me how the 6.5 creedmoor compares to the 6.5 swede????

Thanks

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Trystan
Real quick.......can anyone tell me how the 6.5 creedmoor compares to the 6.5 swede????

Thanks

Trystan

Fraternal twins born 100 years apart...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You DUMB Fhuqks trying to Out-DUMBfhuqk one another,by simply doing your BEST...is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS! Congratulations?!?

Firstly,a 1-10" SALAMI 7-08 at Milford Altitude,will stabilize the 162 A-Max in all Milford weathers. The ELD M's can get a touch zooky,but most have more favorable atmospherics. Hint.

There's nothing .277" that'll hang for anything serious,with a .284". Hint.

I LOVED Coyote's quote: "I'm not really arguing for or against a .270 or one of the .28's as much as I am the stupidity of claims that a particular cartridge is "better" because of a higher B.C. bullet for it. B.C. values don't make a lot of difference until well past where most shots are taken. I used 160g Speer Grand Slams, B.C. .389, in my 7mm RM for 20+ years and never realized I was handicapped. My last elk was taken with a 160g Grand Slam at 411 lasered yards (4 steps and down forever) and would have been just at dead at much longer ranges".

Granting that "exciting" .284" 160 Grand Slum a courteous velocity of 3050fps in a 24" 7mm Remmie Manglum,despite alllllllllll that bearing surface,a 21" Barrett 7-08 will simply fhuqking CRUSH it,with a "lowly" 2600fps launch of a 180 ELD M(Alpha 308 false shoulders,'17 and a mag fed Smooch,lit with 200's).

160GS at 3050fps. Fhuqking HINT.

[Linked Image]

Pardon the 180 ELD,more than DOUBLING the BC and it do tend to "matter". Despite only eating 42grs of propellant,to do so,in a 3" shorter spout. Fhuqking HINT.

[Linked Image]

It prolly don't suck either,that 400yd wind drift in like conditions,is nearly 50% of the Grand Slum's. And if a 7mm Remmie Mag launched 160gr Grand Slum gets "impressiver" at distances beyond the HILARIOUS 411yd Delusion,then you'll need to wear a fhuqking seatbelt,to squirt a Barrett 180 there too,so as to keep all of the fhuqking STUPID from falling out of you. Hint. LAUGHING!

No thang to reliably connect ALL dots,let Facts and Physics work their Splendors,while connecting the Holy Trinity of Dots with Twist,Throat Geometry and COAL latitude...which the Barrett more than do,in S/A guise(s).

Now in fairness,it's been (10) whole days since I've seen a Bear with a Brown coat and 'bout 17 minutes ago for one wearing Black(had to check Mail). Fhuqk the Nuzzler 175 NPT,it's a whopping piece of fhuqking schit,from start to finish. One needn't fret zooking a Barrett launched 180 ELD,from boot lace,to the Transonic slip(1550yds +),in the current atmosphere. Add 5000',you get a free 300yd Slip Pass to 1850yds. Hint.

162 ELD M on left,175 Nuzzler amidship and 180 ELD to Starboard. I KNOW I've got some Grand Slums around here,but cain't get a locate. Keep in mind,all that glitters AIN'T fhuqking golden and Peterson easily remains THE schittiest brass on the fhuqking Planet. Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image]

I've "prolly" got a "few" 30's too and there is NOT a single fhuqking instance,where they've a leg up on a .284". Why?!? Boolits you DUMB Fhuqks. I'm rather at ease with a 7-08 and Today's projectiles,there too...though I prolly gun a few other 7 Em-Em's. Hint. LAUGHING!

Do having 32.7 Mils of erector available from a Ruger RAPER 243 Kreedmire suck? Nope. Do Smooching the beloved Hornie 105 BTHP from multiple mag types(S/S ACS,C/M AICS and poly 'Pul's) slated to same suck? Nope. Do it "compromise" terminal effects at boot lace distances? NOPE. Do Alpha shine there too? YEP! Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You "hard chargers" be sure to peruse Google and spruce your "skills" up more than a smidge,as I best get to yarding parcels open,as 3-1/2 month Gestation Periods,tend to make me fhuqking curious. Hint. laughing!

[Linked Image]

Never been difficult to cypher...who shoots and who don't. Jeezus fhuqk,you AMAZINGLY Stupid Fhuqks never disappoint,in oblivious HILARITY!

Take notes and apply same,then thank me later.

Hint.

Bless your hearts.

Laughing!

BINGO!..........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan

Thanks
Trystan

SAAMI MAP specs are one difference:
6.5x55 = 51,000psi, 46,000 CUP
6.5 CM = 62,000psi, no US CUP standard

Cartridge length is another:
6.5xx = 3.150"
6.5 CM = 2.825"

Within pressure standard limits, achievable velocities for 129-130g bullet are about the same according to Hodgdon:
6.5x55 = 129g @ 2827fps, 45,300 CUP (98.5% of SAAMI MAP)
6.5 CM = 130g @ 2735fps 59,500 psi (97.5% of SAAMI MAP)

The 6.5x55 with long/heavy bullets is best used in a mid-length (7x57mm) or long (.30-06) action while the CM was specifically designed for a short (.308 Win) action length.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
If the 270 is “gay” than a 6.5 is bag over the head, hole in the bathroom stall at a rest area, costume gangbang gay.

LOL, you forgot the man bun and clogs....

The creedmoor isn't gay, but it experimented a little in college.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You DUMB Fhuqks trying to Out-DUMBfhuqk one another,by simply doing your BEST...is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS! Congratulations?!?

Firstly,a 1-10" SALAMI 7-08 at Milford Altitude,will stabilize the 162 A-Max in all Milford weathers. The ELD M's can get a touch zooky,but most have more favorable atmospherics. Hint.

There's nothing .277" that'll hang for anything serious,with a .284". Hint.

I LOVED Coyote's quote: "I'm not really arguing for or against a .270 or one of the .28's as much as I am the stupidity of claims that a particular cartridge is "better" because of a higher B.C. bullet for it. B.C. values don't make a lot of difference until well past where most shots are taken. I used 160g Speer Grand Slams, B.C. .389, in my 7mm RM for 20+ years and never realized I was handicapped. My last elk was taken with a 160g Grand Slam at 411 lasered yards (4 steps and down forever) and would have been just at dead at much longer ranges".

Granting that "exciting" .284" 160 Grand Slum a courteous velocity of 3050fps in a 24" 7mm Remmie Manglum,despite alllllllllll that bearing surface,a 21" Barrett 7-08 will simply fhuqking CRUSH it,with a "lowly" 2600fps launch of a 180 ELD M(Alpha 308 false shoulders,'17 and a mag fed Smooch,lit with 200's).

[Linked Image]

Pardon the 180 ELD,more than DOUBLING the BC and it do tend to "matter". Despite only eating 42grs of propellant,to do so,in a 3" shorter spout. Fhuqking HINT.

[Linked Image]

It prolly don't suck either,that 400yd wind drift in like conditions,is nearly 50% of the Grand Slum's. And if a 7mm Remmie Mag launched 160gr Grand Slum gets "impressiver" at distances beyond the HILARIOUS 411yd Delusion,then you'll need to wear a fhuqking seatbelt,to squirt a Barrett 180 there too,so as to keep all of the fhuqking STUPID from falling out of you. Hint. LAUGHING!

No thang to reliably connect ALL dots,let Facts and Physics work their Splendors,while connecting the Holy Trinity of Dots with Twist,Throat Geometry and COAL latitude...which the Barrett more than do,in S/A guise(s).

Now in fairness,it's been (10) whole days since I've seen a Bear with a Brown coat and 'bout 17 minutes ago for one wearing Black(had to check Mail). Fhuqk the Nuzzler 175 NPT,it's a whopping piece of fhuqking schit,from start to finish. One needn't fret zooking a Barrett launched 180 ELD,from boot lace,to the Transonic slip(1550yds +),in the current atmosphere. Add 5000',you get a free 300yd Slip Pass to 1850yds. Hint.

162 ELD M on left,175 Nuzzler amidship and 180 ELD to Starboard. I KNOW I've got some Grand Slums around here,but cain't get a locate. Keep in mind,all that glitters AIN'T fhuqking golden and Peterson easily remains THE schittiest brass on the fhuqking Planet. Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image]

I've "prolly" got a "few" 30's too and there is NOT a single fhuqking instance,where they've a leg up on a .284". Why?!? Boolits you DUMB Fhuqks. I'm rather at ease with a 7-08 and Today's projectiles,there too...though I prolly gun a few other 7 Em-Em's. Hint. LAUGHING!

Do having 32.7 Mils of erector available from a Ruger RAPER 243 Kreedmire suck? Nope. Do Smooching the beloved Hornie 105 BTHP from multiple mag types(S/S ACS,C/M AICS and poly 'Pul's) slated to same suck? Nope. Do it "compromise" terminal effects at boot lace distances? NOPE. Do Alpha shine there too? YEP! Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You "hard chargers" be sure to peruse Google and spruce your "skills" up more than a smidge,as I best get to yarding parcels open,as 3-1/2 month Gestation Periods,tend to make me fhuqking curious. Hint. laughing!

[Linked Image]

Never been difficult to cypher...who shoots and who don't. Jeezus fhuqk,you AMAZINGLY Stupid Fhuqks never disappoint,in oblivious HILARITY!

Take notes and apply same,then thank me later.

Hint.

Bless your hearts.

Laughing!

BINGO!..........................

HA! I fhuqking love it!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
If the 270 is “gay” than a 6.5 is bag over the head, hole in the bathroom stall at a rest area, costume gangbang gay.

LOL, you forgot the man bun and clogs....

The creedmoor isn't gay, but it experimented a little in college.

Id say they are both gay...the Sweede is a power bottom...and while the creed may be on top...its still taking the Q ball center pocket if you catch my drift.

What can i say...im not surprised. Its the sweetheart of the millennials.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by Big Stick

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

HA! I fhuqking love it!

So do I. I keep Stink on ignore but his quoted posts show, as it did here.

Seems he missed a few things in his analysis.

1. The elk died quite handily.

2. He overestimated the velocity by about 175fps. In my buddy’s rifle, which I used for the last elk, the 160g GS runs 2878fps with Winchester brass, 2874 with Federal brass. Don’t know which he had loaded, but suspect Winchester.

3. The ELD Match didn’t exist at the time I shot the elk. It was not an option.

4. The 160g Grand Slam killed every elk I tried it on, regardless of range (411 yards was the max). Dead is dead.

5. I quit using Grand Slams in my own rifles about 16 years ago. Gave the ones I had to my left on my shelf to my hunting buddy. I used what he had in his rifle when he handed it to me. Even given the low velocity and “poor” B.C., it worked. No surprise to me.

6. The wind drift of a bullet that didn’t exist at the time is a non-issue, but in any case, the wind itself was not an issue.

7. My statements about B.C. were specifically related to ranges “where most shots are taken “. In my experience that is under 300 yards.

8. My argument was about “the stupidity of claims that a particular cartridge is "better" because of a higher B.C. bullet for it”. B.C. is one thing but external ballistics also rely on initial velocity, among other things. And “better” is determined by many factors, not just B.C. or external ballistics.

My daughters like my .257 Roberts with 110g AccuBond (B.C. 418) at 3163fps for antelope. (So do I.) Would a 28 Nosler driving a 180g ELD Match (B.C. .796) pushed to 3000fps be “better” for them? Not hardly. Their comfort range is limited to about 300 yards. Given 6000 feet of altitude, 59 degrees, a 250 yard zero and a 8.1 pound rifle/scope combo, the Federal ballistic calculator shows the following. The calculator can be found here: https://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics-calculator.

The recoil is based on my Ruger M77 .257 rifle weight and a calculator found here: http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php.

At 300 yards:

.257 Roberts, 110AB @ 3163fps:
Powder charge 46.5g
Drop = 3”
Drift = 5”
Velocity = 2618fps
Energy = 1674fps
Recoil = 13.2 ft-lbs @ 10.2fps

280 Nosler, 180 ELD Match @ 3000fps
Powder charge 90.6g
Drop = 3”
Drift = 2.7”
Velocity = 2716fps
Energy = 2947fps
Recoil = 38.6 ft-lbs @ 17.5fps

Both cartridges will clearly do the job (antelope) at the ranges at which my girls are comfortable shooting. The .257 is the “better choice” for the girls because of recoil considerations (and the fact that none of us have or are willing to acquire a 28 Nosler, something that must be considered when selecting the “best” cartridge for a specific situation).

If a higher B.C. alone made for a “better” cartridge… but it doesn’t.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/25/18. Reason: Added "At 300 yards:" for clarity

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
......so then the OP yelled "phuqq it!!!", bought a box of Corlokts, kilt him a deer, and lived happily ever after.

The end.

A coworker and I have been working together in Miami this last week. He is a tournament fisherman and deer hunter from PA. We've talked quite a bit about hunting this week and this is what I learned about him:

1. He's a couple years younger than me, which means he's another old phart.
2. He uses a 308 Win.
3. He has used white box Winchester ammunition for years.
4. He typically buys a box of ammo, takes a couple of sight-in shots and goes hunting.
5. He hunts deer every year.
6. He cannot recall ever taking a shot over 150 yards and most are under 100.

This year he got talked into buying a new type of ammo but he couldn't remember what it was. He remembered the "red tip" and went online to see if he could find it. Turns out it was Hornady ammo (he recognized the box) but he still doesn't know if it was SST or GMX bullets or the weight. He thinks "maybe" a 165g SST load.

When he asked about recommended group size at 100 yards I asked him how big the kill zone was on his target (deer). He made about a 6" circle with his hands. Told him 3" was more than good enough.

A .30-30 and a flat nose bullet would work just fine for him, B.C. be damned.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/25/18. Reason: spelnig

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Starman
When talking big game in NA or Africa I don't see Bergers being mentioned or recommended with the frequency
of Noslers, AFrames, Barnes,etc...and for the sensible pragmatic reasons I stated before.

This.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What about stunt shooting? None of this is relevant to all the deer I've dropped like a stone with the 22/250. Somewhere in all of this the question was asked...."Is it hunting season yet?!?"

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.460 Wby using a Speer 400 grain bullet.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,826
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.