Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I shot my first double on Valley Quail with an old Winchester 42 in .410 way back in 1956 or 57. Shot all sorts of game with it over the next few years. The 28 is much more as others has said. Close to the 20 ga. even with 3/4 oz. loads. Just broke 19 out of 25 at wobbles trap with my new 686 Beretta.
Had an 870 Remington for a few years. Killed a respectable number of Blue Grouse and some Mtn. Quail with it. Unfortunately it had too many QC problems. Even when out of warranty. Sold it and got the 686. E

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been using a 28 on pigeons over my dog's for several years now, AyA matador. With the first flat of target loads I also got a mec 600 Jr. Started using it's little brother on pigeons with the dog's this year, 410 Matador. I don't shoot it near as well but all I've use so fat has been 1/2 oz loads. Yesterday I dug out my 16ga Matador and tell ya what, forgot how nice it was the shoot. If I ever hunt pheasant again it will be what I use. The 28 really won me over though. Soon as I get in a bunch of money, due in early Sept, got my eye on a Parker Reproduction in 28ga. If it get's sold before I can get to it, number two is a Merkel in 28ga. If that get's sold #3 is a CSM in 28 ga. Don't get to it I may just lay down and cry. This is gonna be my once in a lifetime shotgun! Once i get it, the 28ga Matador goes off to Missouri for a new stock! Gonna try the 410 on grouse this year too if I can find some grouse. Long way to there from where I live.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by jt402
gitem, my state of mind, exactly. I have a Browning Superposed 20 and a Benelli Montefeltro 20. I have tested both for function with loads as light as the low noise, low recoil loads at 980 fps. They work. All other 7/8 oz should work well.

Dirtfarmer, I have followed your posts long enough to trust your judgement. How about a brief evaluation of the Ohio 37-28 ga. A sub 7# 12 ga 37 was my first real shotgun. I traded it off after it started dumping live shells from the magazine and the local talent could not fix it. Should have sent it back to the factory. Until it malfunctioned I was well pleased, especially at the $1 price - two 50c raffle tickets, about all a pay as you go college kid could afford.

Thanks,

Jack

I have a first year production 20 ga. M-37R, solid rib with Poly Choke. It's a bit slicker than the new gun. 70 years or so will do that.

The new Ohio gun is very well made, at least as well crafted as the Ithaca, NY guns, better than the King Ferry guns, IMO. They use state of the art CNC machines, outsource the wood, IIRC.

I'm not crazy about the shape of the new stock, but it does handle well. Note the difference in stock shape, old vs. new.

Dumping shells is not an uncommon 37 problem; tweaking or replacing parts will fix it.

DF

[Linked Image]
Awesome pic of the M37R ,not many would give it a second look with the grenade launcher on the frt end but on a 20 ga that might enhance swing control. I have its twin in 16 ga with a 28" full solid rib, love that on sharptails. At the gunshop where I found it ,I asked where it came from, they said some gomer kid with his ballcap on backwards,pants halfway down his ass inherited it from gramps and traded it for a Benelli Nova and paid boot. Sometimes fortune does shine on my butt.

Agree with Polychoke not being asthetically pleasing, not today for sure.

I didn't like the look, thought about cutting it off, installing choke tubes. But, the gun is pretty light and even with the solid rib, I was afraid it would be a bit whippy w/o the weight of the Polychoke.

It's kinda grown on me. I just told myself that it was the rage back in the '40's and I just consider it part of the vintage look. I'm glad I kept it.

DF

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just loaded a Beretta SP-V, and a Rem 1100
into my truck. Headed to Ks to hunt doves this weekend.
I’ve shot the 28 ga a lot since the early 90s.
It’s great for quail, and dove. I don’t hunt grouse, but expect it would work very well.
The 28 ga is barely ok for wild pheasants and only under 30 yards, or at least that’s my experience.
Only downside is ammo is a bit expensive. I have a MEC Sizemaster so my costs are reasonable. If you reload, get WWAA hulls and forget the others.

Last edited by dale06; 08/29/18.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 12 ga SP IV, same as the V except blue receiver. The wood is exceptional.

I have an itch for either a IV or V in 28ga. I found a minty IV recently on GB. It sold worth the money, but the wood was not what I expected, so I dropped out not far from selling price. Maybe after the season.....

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 264mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 32 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,060
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.