Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Previous owner used Leupold ringmounts on my 75 SS and dinged the checkering on the dovetails. Another good reason to use Optilocks

The ones that simply clamp on the dovetail? Ouch.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My Sako’s ( all my other rifle too) keep zero much better since I abandoned the Leupold mounts and switched to the Talley mounts. I don’t like the big knobs on the Sako mounts. The optilocks don’t look bad.

Last edited by hanco; 08/25/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Previous owner used Leupold ringmounts on my 75 SS and dinged the checkering on the dovetails. Another good reason to use Optilocks

If you must use this style base, drop a piece of led shot in the hole before installing the set screw. The lead shot will prevent the set screw from marring the checkering.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Edit: mispoke above. Was referring to ringmounts in my post (“extra-low”), sorry. The “lows” arent neccesary until you get up over 42mm somewhere. Was distracted by a giant huckleberry icecream cone melting on a late summer evening.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I like the 1-piece optilocks, and I liked the Warne premier series a lot. I’ve used leupolds and have no real complaints (but I only used them on the little A1 so there was no recoil to deal with).

I won’t use any mount that uses a separate base on a rifle with integral bases.

Last edited by bigJ; 08/25/18.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Yeah those are the culprit. Sako streamlined the bases this year although no dealer has them in SS yet. The fact they don't mar a scope tube on a very expensive scope is another very nice feature.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kingston

If you must use this style base, drop a piece of led shot in the hole before installing the set screw. The lead shot will prevent the set screw from marring the checkering.

That makes sense .

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

That makes sense .

Better yet,throw the set screw away. It only prevents the tapered dovetail from tightening under recoil and doing its job.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
S&K mounts is another lightweight option. There bases are tapped on with a hammer..

Have used these on several different medium lenth action sako 75/85 and never had any issues.....

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have looked at the S&K and they look nice, but I would prefer to make use of the integral mount dovetail (without a separate base) if I can.

Does anybody know the height of the low Optilock one-piece?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I found a real cheap $50 set of two piece dovetail picitinny rails for my Sako 75 Finnlight last year at SWFA sample list. I tried them out just for fit and they hammered on and off real nice with a wood block.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I really like DNZ one piece mounts on my Tikka’s. One piece makes a lot of sense.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I found a real cheap $50 set of two piece dovetail picitinny rails for my Sako 75 Finnlight last year at SWFA sample list. I tried them out just for fit and they hammered on and off real nice with a wood block.

Do you recall who made them? Were they Burris or Valdada?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I always use Leupold Sako ringmounts in low. Never had any mark the checkering as it doesn't touch it. Nor have I had any move. I just removed some Sako Optilock ringmounts on a Sako 85 I bought and installed the Leupold ringmounts. Why? Because the Leupold's are lighter and lower. I always lap the Leupold ringmounts which is one thing you don't have to do with the Optilocks.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by zeissman
I always use Leupold Sako ringmounts in low. Never had any mark the checkering as it doesn't touch it. Nor have I had any move. I just removed some Sako Optilock ringmounts on a Sako 85 I bought and installed the Leupold ringmounts. Why? Because the Leupold's are lighter and lower. I always lap the Leupold ringmounts which is one thing you don't have to do with the Optilocks.

I bought the 75 used, it had the rings attached, when they were removed the checkering was dinged. So either the previous owner did not attach them correctly which I doubt or they do somehow touch.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Do you recall who made them? Were they Burris or Valdada?

I don't remember them being Valdada. I do know that I had looked at some of those before but couldn't get them for some reason. What I bought on the samplelist may not even have been labeled,but they are two piece picatinny in stainless.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I have looked at the S&K and they look nice, but I would prefer to make use of the integral mount dovetail (without a separate base) if I can.

Does anybody know the height of the low Optilock one-piece?

They are pretty low. A 40mm scope looks very nice with the 1' lows. I would expect either to accomodate a 44mm scope but not a 50mm. I know that the 1' won't work with a 50mm objective. I have also used a 42mm scope on the 30mm ringmounts and it fits very well. I have never wished for lower mounts with the one piece Optilocks. They are for sure lower than two piece Optilocks.

The Leupold Ringmounts may be slightly lower,but they don't have as good a clamping system to the rail as the Optilocks do. The Leupold base screw won't tighten just anywhere on the Sako dovetail. They will have to be over half way down the rail on either end before they will get a hold..

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks RH.

I plan to use a 1" tube 40mm objective scope on this rifle.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Thanks RH.

I plan to use a 1" tube 40mm objective scope on this rifle.

Here's some 1" lows with a Swaro 3-10x42. Part number S1701900.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by skeen; 08/26/18.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have two Sako M-85's, one in 30-06 , the other in 9.3x66.

On the 30-06 I have used Leupold ring mounts with no issue.

On the 9.3, due to 338Win Mag type recoil, I have broke the rear mount twice. Leupold reimbursed on both occasions.

On the rear the tapered dovetail puts enough stress on the cross screw to break it, the screw was torqued to manufacturers spec's.

Another issue with one should be aware of is the front dovetail is tapered but not parallel to the rear dove tail, its placed somewhat diagonally to the rear one.

This means when the ring mount on the front is not exactly in the middle position, as in placing the ring mount to fit a certain scope, it skews the scope left or right depending if the mount is forward or aft of the center point on the dovetail. This requires the scopes internal adjustment for windage to be left or right by degree in relationship to the distance from the center point on the front dovetail.

Two issues with this, the front and rear ring are not in alignment (with obvious issues), a Leupold ring mount with no stud to fit in the slot on the rear, will allow the rear ring mount to creep up thus breaking the cross screw.

The Sako system alleviates these issues.

No further issues with these rifles once the Leupold ring mounts were changed to Sako opti-loks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.