Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
You are in a small room with only one door. On the outside are 5 murderous thugs each armed with a machete. One will enter the room every 20 seconds with the intent of chopping your head completely off.

Your only choice of firearms is either a 380 Auto with 5 rounds of the best ammo available or a 9MM with 5 rounds of the best ammo available or a 40S&W with 5 rounds of the best ammo available or a 45 Auto with 5 rounds of the best ammo available to defend yourself.

Which would you wisely choose?

You are certainly named appropriately. That's the dumbest analogy I've ever seen. Why wouldn't they all come in at the same time? I guess being muslims makes them stupid. This has ever happened where??? If you have to go that far to prove a point, you've already lost.

"One will enter the room every 20 seconds" Who said at the same time? Who is dumb now?

Ewe?

I thought I was the only one that cannot spell because I am not a female sheep. I may be a lot of things but not a female sheep.
How far so you want to go with this. I asked a question only. No different thatn some of the stupid stuff i see on a regular basis on forums.
A simple thing would have been to just answer the question. It would have saved all this. Real, actual, improbable, impossible or anything else. If you had one shot would you choose a 380 a 9MM a 40S&W or a 45 Auto?

Got it, you are an ingenue. Everyone else got it too.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
............If you had one shot would you choose a 380 a 9MM a 40S&W or a 45 Auto?

380...…….it has enough power to start a helmet fire.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
You are in a small room with only one door. On the outside are 5 murderous thugs each armed with a machete. One will enter the room every 20 seconds with the intent of chopping your head completely off.

Your only choice of firearms is either a 380 Auto with 5 rounds of the best ammo available or a 9MM with 5 rounds of the best ammo available or a 40S&W with 5 rounds of the best ammo available or a 45 Auto with 5 rounds of the best ammo available to defend yourself.

Which would you wisely choose?

You are certainly named appropriately. That's the dumbest analogy I've ever seen. Why wouldn't they all come in at the same time? I guess being muslims makes them stupid. This has ever happened where??? If you have to go that far to prove a point, you've already lost.

"One will enter the room every 20 seconds" Who said at the same time? Who is dumb now?

Ewe?

I thought I was the only one that cannot spell because I am not a female sheep. I may be a lot of things but not a female sheep.
How far so you want to go with this. I asked a question only. No different thatn some of the stupid stuff i see on a regular basis on forums.
A simple thing would have been to just answer the question. It would have saved all this. Real, actual, improbable, impossible or anything else. If you had one shot would you choose a 380 a 9MM a 40S&W or a 45 Auto?

10 gauge 4buck

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
"Got it, you are an ingenue. Everyone else got it too."

I wish you would quit judging me based on yourself. I am sure you are " one of a kind."

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Adequate but maybe right on the margin.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suppose that you could grow one up a little with Glaser or Magsafe ammo, but I did shelve my Colt Government .380 in favor of a 12 ounce Scandium J-frame shooting .38 Special + P for everyday carry. The house gun is a double stack .45 ACP Para with night sights. "A man has got to know his limitations." (Clint Eastwood 1971)

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a 380 Auto. An LCPII. It is a powerhouse.

HE MENTORS ME.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by duckster
Adequate but maybe right on the margin.

Intuition tends to lead us to that conclusion, but the latest, large sample size, statistical analysis indicates that once you get to the power level of 380 ACP/.38 Special, the difference between all common self defense handgun calibers is negligible with regard to the factor studied, and that factor was a round's ability to stop an attack from being completed, without regard for number of rounds landed solidly on the attacker.

Now, below .380 ACP, e.g., .32 ACP, .25 ACP, and .22 rimfire, all drop precipitously on this factor in terms of ability to stop an attacker before he delivers his attack, without regard for number of rounds solidly landed. .380 ACP seems to be the cut off (that and .38 Special), for serious stopping power. It starts a plateau shared by it and all other commonly used, more powerful, defensive rounds, e.g., .357 Magnum, .44 Special, 9mm, .40 S&W, on up to .44 Magnum. It's actually roughly on the same level as those in this clearly defined category. Whereas .32 ACP and below mark a completely different, and significantly lower, plateau on down to .22 rimfire, for the same factor.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Now since there isnt anyone on here that could ever make a less than adequate, get it theres that big word "adequate" shot. Lets pretend that one did make a poor shot on an advesary, would you want a 380 Auto, a 9MM, a 40 S&W or a 45 Auto with good expanding bullets? Again I know no one on here would ever make a less than adequate, theres that word again "adequate", shot.
Lets see how this can be twisted by the twisted twisters.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Big bore centerfire guns scare me.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm comfortable with the Glock 17 9mm for my daily carry. Nice balance of power, shootability, reliability, and ammo capacity.

Yes I have more powerful stuff. 40, 45, 357 Mag, 357 Sig, 44Mag, 45 Colt.

I don't believe a bigger round will make up for poor shooting.

I believe in a double-tap, and one to the head.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

In my opinion, the premise of the question is idiotic.

Anyone I shoot is going to take two rounds right up front, and I carry a sensible amount of ammo to address multiple threats.

If I had a crystal ball and knew I would have to deal with five macheteros, I'd take an Ar15 or an 870. Or better yet, stay home.

Shane,

I like your answer.

It's ponderous how many people don't realize that the first rule of gun fighting is to avoid them.....

And if you can't avoid them, have a rifle. As Clint Smith reminds us, "Every gunfight is a rifle fight. Some people bring fists, some bring sticks or rocks. Some bring pistols or shotguns. But if you brought a rifle to the gunfight, you can stand off at a protected distance, and still dominate the fight."

I'm a big fan of airstrikes.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Hasbeen I am pretty sure that it has been proven that the .380 is within a few percentage points of the 9 or 45 regards effectiveness.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by David_Walter

In my opinion, the premise of the question is idiotic.

Anyone I shoot is going to take two rounds right up front, and I carry a sensible amount of ammo to address multiple threats.

If I had a crystal ball and knew I would have to deal with five macheteros, I'd take an Ar15 or an 870. Or better yet, stay home.

Shane,

I like your answer.

It's ponderous how many people don't realize that the first rule of gun fighting is to avoid them.....

And if you can't avoid them, have a rifle. As Clint Smith reminds us, "Every gunfight is a rifle fight. Some people bring fists, some bring sticks or rocks. Some bring pistols or shotguns. But if you brought a rifle to the gunfight, you can stand off at a protected distance, and still dominate the fight."

I'm a big fan of airstrikes.

Let keep both feet on the ground. We are not talking about military strikes, filling the surrounding air with lead, ventilating the shootee so he will look like the bottom of grannys four sifter. We dont carry shotguns or rifles stuck inside of our pants.

HE MENTORS ME.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I can fire and hit with a 42 faster as the recoil is non existent.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'd roll with one of the larger models with a bigger grip and higher capacity.

this is a thoughtful reply--based on good, critical thinking.

the Ruger LCP is a great pistol, but the short barrels in these types of pipsqeak rigs lose considerable velocity, making them less than ideal as a regular carry piece--even though they are quite accurate--providing consistent accuracy at up to 25 yards.

if forced to rely on a .380 auto for self defense use, i'd go with the Beretta model 70s Jaguar, carried cocked and locked. all steel, quite accurate, extremely reliable, and giving greater velocity due to the longer tube. however, the reality is--when you get to a pistol of this size, you might just as well tote a smaller 9mm rig.

it baffles me why Glock does not import their .380 pistol--it would be great for recoil shy shooters, and great for training women. a mystery, as they could sell a fair number of them here.

while most any cartridge will suffice in a pinch, i think the 9mm Parabellum serves as a good, "bottom cut-off line" for more effective results. it is a remarkable cartridge, especially when you consider the small case size. while there is much better ammunition available today, the old-school 115 grain Federal 9mm BPLE (+p+) fired in a HK USP will churn up 1350 FPS, making it share the rarified air of the venerable .357 magnum when fired from snub to 2 3/4 inch length barrels. truly remarkable....

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of Euro-polizei used the 7.65 or the 9mm Kurz - it's all they had and more than a few perps were dropped at the shot without crying out "But it's not a .45!!" laugh

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use Remington 2 1/2 Magnum primers in my 45 Auto and that gives the 3.0 grains Bullseye a boost to push the 230 grain bullet to a velocity that equals the muzzle energy of the 380 Auto.
Now I am set.

HE MENTORS ME.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Let keep both feet on the ground. We are not talking about military strikes, filling the surrounding air with lead, ventilating the shootee so he will look like the bottom of grannys four sifter. We dont carry shotguns or rifles stuck inside of our pants.

Seriously? But we do run into five macheteros, presenting themselves at 20 second intervals, armed with only 5 rounds of ammo?

OK, if you say so.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Seriously? But we do run into five macheteros, presenting themselves at 20 second intervals, armed with only 5 rounds of ammo?

OK, if you say so.

That was an example that suppose to be used to illustrate who had confidence in what caliber. IT WAS JUST A PLAYFUL SENARIO JUST TO GET SOME ONE THINK. Nothing else.
It was mo more stupid than any number things Ive seen on forums. Maybe not as stupid.

HE MENTORS ME.

Page 3 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 59 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,435
Posts18,470,821
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.