B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Keep telling yourself that. Are you including the one you gut shot that jumped onto private?

That is the one.

If you've never lost an animal, good for you.

How about the one you hit "a little far back" but never found?

Amazing, never thought you would act like you never made a bad shot on game. Seems to me you haven't hunted much.

Ive been hunting all summer. How about you?
Ive made one bad shot. I was 15 years old and I shot a Dall sheep in the horn. Jacked another shell in and dropped him. Other than that, no rodeos, but to be fair Im pretty choosey when and where I shoot. Shooting an animal on a property line isnt the best idea and saying an animal shot and didnt recovered doesnt counts as a loss is convoluted logic at best.

Last edited by BWalker; 08/26/18.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

At 300 yards:

.257 Roberts, 110AB @ 3163fps:
Powder charge 46.5g
Drop = 3”
Drift = 5”
Velocity = 2618fps
Energy = 1674fps
Recoil = 13.2 ft-lbs @ 10.2fps

280 Nosler, 180 ELD Match @ 3000fps
Powder charge 90.6g
Drop = 3”
Drift = 2.7”
Velocity = 2716fps
Energy = 2947fps
Recoil = 38.6 ft-lbs @ 17.5fps

Surprised no one caught my error above and it is too late to fix it now. The .257 Roberts and 28 Nosler energy had "fps" rather than "fpe as the unit measure".

The corrected info should read as follows.

At 300 yards:

.257 Roberts, 110AB @ 3163fps:
Powder charge 46.5g
Drop = 3”
Drift = 5”
Velocity = 2618fps
Energy = 1674fpe
Recoil = 13.2 ft-lbs @ 10.2fps

280 Nosler, 180 ELD Match @ 3000fps
Powder charge 90.6g
Drop = 3”
Drift = 2.7”
Velocity = 2716fps
Energy = 2947fpe
Recoil = 38.6 ft-lbs @ 17.5fps

The 160g Grand Slam that was used to take the bull at 411 yards was recovered – only the second one I had recovered in over 20 years of using them. Both encountered multiple bones.
7mm RM/160g Grand Slam, 411 yards, 124.5g retained (77.8%).
[Linked Image]

Here’s my hunting buddy with his wrong-handed 7mm RM, the rifle I use to take the elk. This photo was taken the day before I took the shot.
[Linked Image]

Here’s the bull, obviously past caring what bullet was used. Not a giant, but he filled the freezer nicely.
[Linked Image]

While I was quartering the bull, two cows came over the hill behind me and to my left in the photo above. Range was probably 150 yards or so. Passed on taking one even though I had a valid tag - but I suspect another 160 Grand Slam would have done the job in spite of a .387 B.C.

No one caught it because most of us skim over your long drawn out bull shat posts.

Last edited by BWalker; 08/26/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rickt300
Keep telling yourself that. Are you including the one you gut shot that jumped onto private?

That is the one.

If you've never lost an animal, good for you.

How about the one you hit "a little far back" but never found?

Amazing, never thought you would act like you never made a bad shot on game. Seems to me you haven't hunted much.

Ive been hunting all summer. How about you?
Ive made one bad shot. I was 15 years old and I shot a Dall sheep in the horn. Jacked another shell in and dropped him. Other than that, no rodeos, but to be fair Im pretty choosey when and where I shoot. Shooting an animal on a property line isnt the best idea and saying an animal shot and didnt recovered doesnt counts as a loss is convoluted logic at best.

A. I did not shoot the elk on a property line. At the time, no animal I'd ever shot had made it far enough to reach the fence. This was a first.

B. The elk was shot and recovered by another hunter and it ended up in a freezer, not lost. Nothing convoluted about that.
If the other hunter had not shot it, I'm about 99% certain I would have recovered it myself. My best guess it it would have either jumped back over the fence onto public land (I don't think it had the strength left to do so) or it would have laid back down. The only question in my mind is whether the landowner would have allowed me access to get the elk.

C. If you want to count the elk as lost, go ahead and do so. I don't.

D. Tomorrow I'll still be me and you'll still be a sanctimonious ja.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
"Bigger is better, except when I say it's not."

Bigger is better.

Now we're getting somewhere. So when the topic is the 270 vs the 280 AI, which one is bigger?

This is not a trick question.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
"Bigger is better, except when I say it's not."

Bigger is better.

Now we're getting somewhere. So when the topic is the 270 vs the 280 AI, which one is bigger?

This is not a trick question.

The 338 lapua or the 50 cal???😒😁

Didn't mean to blow a 50 caliber hole in your theory.....lol

One thing is for certain......99.9% of this thread is utter BS except for posts that were made in jest or poking fun.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Coyote Kchunt,

The only thing funnier than your fhuqking incredible STUPIDITY,is the notion that you have me on Imaginary Pretend Ignore. It'll only come as a "surprise" to you,that besides your being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...what were the "odds"? Congratulations?!? Laughing!

1) Congratulations? Have done same,stabbing 'em with an arrow. Hint

2) The 2875fps velocity threshold,is standard fare in 280/280AI with 162's(Hornie BTHP's,A-Max and ELD's all). I tend to hover at 2850fps with same,in 24" 7-08AI...but we're talking Lapooey/Alpha brass,'17,binderless AICS footprint Smooch and single digit SD/ES. You'll wanna kickstart Google,so you can nod your head,like you "understand". You'll not wanna "compare" recoil energy/velocity numbers,in like weight rifles either. Hint. Laughing!

160 Grand Slum at 2878fps: If that is "neat" or "good" to you...that's even fhuqking FUNNIER yet! Pardon the 7-08AI arriving the same distance(400yds),with 2 more grains of mass and nearly 300fps more velocity. No need to try and "talk" wind,as that is beyond your ability to savvy. LAUGHING!

Knock 'er outta da' park and cite what you CLUELESS Fhuqks are driving in regards to glass,for your "Long Range Exploits" and be certain to quantify the POA/POI arrangement(s). I assure you,it will be funnier than fhuqk! HINT. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

7-08AI(24") 162 ELD M at 2850fps: Pardon boolits mattering farrrrrrrr more,than 1000 Lifetimes of your version of "knowledge","experience" or "results" could ever begin to garner. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

3) The A-Max was on the scene,at the time,along with a gaggle of others that smoke Grand Slum aero-form/performance. What are you shooting the ELD M's in Today? Use as much Imagination and Pretend,as you fhuqking dare. Hint. LAUGHING!

4) Stupidity ain't an "endorsement" nor a "bargaining chip"...it's a plight and them differences are beyond stark,as you set mired deeply in that perpetual rut. Hint.

5) Windshield wipers on a Billy Goat's ass,"work" too. Hint

7) YOU said: "I'm not really arguing for or against a .270 or one of the .28's as much as I am the stupidity of claims that a particular cartridge is "better" because of a higher B.C. bullet for it. B.C. values don't make a lot of difference until well past where most shots are taken. I used 160g Speer Grand Slams, B.C. .389, in my 7mm RM for 20+ years and never realized I was handicapped. My last elk was taken with a 160g Grand Slam at 411 lasered yards (4 steps and down forever) and would have been just at dead at much longer ranges". Is your Imagination,getting in the way of your Pretend,yet AGAIN? Hint. Laughing!

8) Boolits matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps,as you obliviously quantify,by doing your BEST not too,which is the ONLY reason this schit is sooooooooo fhuqking funny...you AMAZINGLY Stupid Fhuqk. Hint. Laughing!

I VERY much enjoy,that now you are gonna "tell" me about Quarterbore's too. OUTFHUQKINGSTANDING! I've never even heard of 'em,unless you wanna "count" 25 Salvage,25 Salvage AI,25-284,Bob,Better Bob,Twat-Six,Twat-Six AI and 257Wby. Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon a "lowly" 224 Kreedmire CRUSHING the fhuqk outta that Piece Of Schit Bob,from any/all angles and with less recoil energy/recoil velocity. 88 ELD M's at 3250fps(3-grooved 1-8",wearing .090" freebore,Smooching in AICS bindered mags at 2.730" COAL,dipping low .3's and hangin' low .4's). Alpha brass,positive headspaced false shoulders,'17 and single digit ES/SD yet again. Google it all and nod your head like you "understand". Don't forget that recoil is 9.25lbs at 8.75fps velocity. Hint. Laughing!

Said rifle "only" has 108.5 MOA remaining on erector,with 40 more laying wait,on the windshield alone(6x MO/MO). Whatcha' steering them 110's with on the Piece Of Fhuqking Schit Bob? Spare no "details". Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Your BEST is fhuqking side splitting HILARITY!!!! It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots and who don't. Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess...while a "guess" is THE "best" you can "do". Hint.

Bless your heart.

Just saying.

Wow +P++!

Laughing!

BINGO!

Now what was the "odds" of The Do Nothing Gang fawning Opteekal Straps?!? Laughing!

Hmmmmm...lemme see if'n I can remember correctly?!? It seems I've a poignant preference of profundity for OP/TECH neoprene necklaces,for both my cellphone cameras and observation devices(binos/spotters). I can only think of having (4) of 'em on cellphones,(5) on bino's and but a single on a Spotter(custom case). Though in fairness,I've some V/V too and on smaller compact cellphones(lesser mass),they can be Skookum. Have broken too many V/V slings,so am done there and am a Slut for BC Neoprene comfort,though I break a few in the course of an average year. Small price to pay,for the comfort,IMHO.

[Linked Image]

It'll come as NO "surprise",for them who actually shoot,that the Geovids cain't hang with a "lowly" Sig Kilo 2000. Reica EHR(horizontal correction software),will only correct to the 1200yd line,though Sig will to the limits of the machine(I get 2500yds+++ all the time).

Note the 1200yd threshold EHR,on the newest of the new...typical Teutonic oversight and too much focus on the Fluff. 'Course my accompanying literature denoted same and I got it to correct once at 1205yds. At least this Geovid will range to the fhuqking 1200yd line reliably! Pun be intended. Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Ordered a couple/few Rick Young Outdoor bino covers Saturday and had the ceiling break yesterday. The Geovids are simply gonna require a conversion to yield what SHOULD be in them already,to convert EHR from line of sight. While I'm fluent in said math(understatement),others ain't and this will fhuqk some folks up and while selling even more Kilo's,in no particular order.(grin) Trying to get James at Marsupial on the horn now,to order his new(2018's),so a MilDot Master can ride along in relative comfort,for Newb EHR conversion(s). Intellesting to stand flat footed on the front porch,gun Geovid tree tops at 1888yds and at a 24-degree inclination angle. The Sig could give a fhuqk and will simply spit out actual DOPE distance,as fast as you can hit "play". Now that brings to point,the 2nd GLARING Geovid wayyyyyyyyyyy shortcoming,in that it's actuation button is painfully fhuqking slow,while the Kilo is FULL fhuqking auto. Keep the Kilo trigger depressed and it CONTINUALLY reads/corrects. The Reica is a fhuqking Flintlock in comparison,but it's funny,when sumptin' soooooooooo fhuqkin sensationally handy,absolutely destroys Fluff. I'd liken it akin to a Barrett 7-08 squirtin' 180 ELD's. Hint. LAUGHING!

Half the hill off the front porch,requires Reica Math,for EHR(greater than the 1200yd line),to factor DOPE. The apex being to right of frame,but this view will getcha' past the 2000yd line,with much less inclination to correct(though still requisite).

[Linked Image]

The Reica will never begin to make the cut for serious pursuits,literally by design. Prolly oughtta order up a new Terrapin,just for Giggles...as it sounds like they'll be shipping soon.

You gals REALLY "know" your stuff.

Bless your hearts.

LAUGHING!

RE-BINGO!...................

As an aside,"Sectional Density" only measures the schit,that do NOT begin to fhuqking matter. Hint.

ALL boolits,of like diameter and mass,will share IDENTICAL Sectional Density values,yet run the literal fhuqking gamut on a performance and aero-form envelope,as applied to the Victim(s) on receiving end. Hint.

Facts and Physics,reliably stump THE Dumbest Of Fhuqks,as you Do Nothing Dumbfhuqks oh sooooooooo eloquently attest.

Re-Google and give 'er another whirl.

Hint.

Laughing!............................

PSA addendum:

Jim Graham the Owner of Marsupial,finally got hold of me(we've been playing phone tag) and he represented both himself and his wares exceptionally,while on the horn. While multi-tasking on his cellphone,he was able from the hip,to shoot me straight on the (3) majors changes inherent the new (2018) Model and he didn't wanna take my money,until he had wares in hand to ship. Now if THAT ain't fhuqking refreshing!(grin)

Anywhoo...his Product is we'll thunked and built of upper echelon materials and it was instantly apparent,that he gives a schit. My sole concern,was if a MilDot Master would ride in the new 2018's upsized rearmost protective pouch(rides against one's chest) and he gave me concise dimensions,which will in fact accommodate same. He said that Units should be completed late this week,but no longer than early next...so I'll have 'em in hand for Castin' & Blastin' on the next pass. 'Course a MilDot Master will ride in the front zippered pocket to boot,but it never hurts,to have moves. I told him,that if it do like I think'll it'll do,he'll prolly get Famous.(grin)

Gut hunch is,that the Zeiss will ride in the RYO's and the Reica in the Marsupial,as a mandate.

I've got lotsa Rifle Scars on multiple sets of Zeiss and the Marsupial will help fend them abuses(at least for a while),when going Hasty MPAJ in a Field Expedient rest,using bino's for the front of a 2-point rest.

Food for thunked,for the few that actually get off the couch.

Film at 11:00...........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's alotta schit to make meat with sub-300 yard pokes.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Coyote Hunter,
A/B. So the elk you lost, but didnt lose teleported over the property line?
C. I imagine you dont.
D. Its ethical, not sanctimonious.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Coyote Hunter,
C. I imagine you dont.

A. No. It jumped. And it was recovered.
B. Credit for one correct statement.
C. No, 'sanctimonious' describes you perfectly.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Coyote Hunter,
C. I imagine you dont.

So it was in the property line after all and you did take possession of it? Sounds like a liar that cant keep his lies straight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Coyote Hunter,
C. I imagine you dont.

So it was in the property line after all and you did take possession of it? Sounds like a liar that cant keep his lies straight.

You have a huge reading comprehension problem. There isn't any inconsistency in my statements.

It didn't teleport over the fence and I didn't shoot it by the fence. It ran towards the fence and bedded down in head-high sage. When looking for it I jumped it out of its bed. It then ran to the fence and jumped over. Simple concepts that even a grade schooler can understand.

No, I didn't take possession of it. It came back to the fence and stopped next to it - probably too weak to jump over again. I thought it would either jump back onto the public land (where I was ready to shoot it again) or lay down where it stood. Instead it was then shot and recovered by another shooter that was on the private land. Simple, but apparently too complex for you to understand.

Must suck to be you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not understanding why this whole Elk fiasco is a thing we need to keep hearing about? Take it to PM's if you two want to tussle.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Cause it proves the 270 is awesome. haha

Jack O'Connor loved the 270. Elmer Keith hated Jack. Good enough for me. I'll take the 280 or 280AI any day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
270 Winchester......stoking the 'fire since 1925.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KenMi
Jack O'Connor loved the 270. Elmer Keith hated Jack. Good enough for me.

Nothing like 40 year old advice on bullet selection.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Modern deers need modern bullets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore

Guess I better throw all mine away and start over.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southtexas

Guess I better throw all mine away and start over.

Only for new deers. Old deers without body armor that you can get close to are ok. Them new deers stand way far away and you can only shoot them with a turret thingy on your scope. And a flat brim hat. And a 5# rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You miss both my point and Jack O'Connor's. Probably just a couple of the thousands that slip by you on a daily basis.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (257_X_50, 7mm_Loco, 264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,604 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,060
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.