-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's weird down here I tell ya. You can shoot critters but not a-holes. .

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Minimum .23 caliber for big game in VA is idiotic. Especially since it's legal in every state that borders it and 75's in a 223 trump anything in a 6x45....

Sunday's on private land is fine with me, don't care either way.

But I hate f-n deer hunting dogs....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Having both archery hunters and muzzle loader hunters in the same time frame in the woods,but only muzzle loader hunters have to wear blaze orange in Colorado.Should be both or neither.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shotgun only deer states

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by McInnis
I don't understand Wyoming law that you buy a hunting license, then you have to buy a game stamp. Why not include the stamp with license, so nobody forgets in??? Or is that the intention?

That's not true. Buy a license for big game and with it comes the tag, that you much attach to the carcass. There's no separate stamp.

Actually,

There is a separate conservation stamp in Wyoming that you must purchase separately. It's an actual stamp, similar to a duck stamp.

It can be a big deal if you an out of sate hunter and you are late getting out there, done that!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Let's hear them.

Colorado has a big game handgun law that says barrel length needs to be at least 4" with a min. energy level at 50 yards of 550 ft.lbs - as rate by the manufacture (which could be you). So who actually measures velocity at 50 yards, which can be used to determine energy? Maybe I've missed it as I reload most of my own, but I've never seen a pistol cartridge box from a manufacturer that says velocity or energy at 50 yards - if they say anything it's muzzle velocity. I guess I could put a chrono up at 50 yards, but seems so stupid when they could say 575 ft.lbs. at the muzzle or something like that. And what's with the min. barrel length? Either the gun has the energy required or it doesn't. Who cares if the bullet came out of a 3.5" barrel? It's not a concealed gun thing either as CO state law specifically allows concealed carry during hunting season even without a permit.

Wyoming used to have an energy requirement for hunting big game with handguns that specified published velocity of 500 ft lbs at 100 yards. That pretty much meant .41 Magnum or better. The law changed in the last couple of years to allow (in part) for bighorn sheep, elk, moose, mountain goat or black bear :

"Any center-fire firearm of at least .24 caliber and firing a cartridge of at least two (2) inches in overall length, or any other cartridge of at least .35 caliber and at least one and one-half inches (1.5) in overall length, and using an expanding point bullet; or . . ."

Now, the way I read that, I could get a 2" S&W J frame .357 magnum revolver, load an expanding point bullet in a .357 magnum case to over 1.5 inches COL in front of 4 grains of 231, and be legal, while the best Underwood/Double Tap/Buffalo Bore 10 mm round fired out of a Colt Delta Elite won't meet the criteria. Sometimes, good ideas don't get implemented in the best possible manner.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 08/30/18.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I don't understand Wyoming law that you buy a hunting license, then you have to buy a game stamp. Why not include the stamp with license, so nobody forgets in??? Or is that the intention?

If you are talking about a conservation stamp, it is because you only need one stamp no matter how many licenses you buy. Most license sellers will ask you if you need one whenever you purchase a license.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here in New Mexico there are two extra stamps required to hunt doves if you are hunting in certain areas. Both are free and are just an extra click of the mouse when printing your license.

They make no sense whatsoever. Last year I had them and my friend didn't when the warden checked our licenses. The warden informed my buddy that he was missing the required stamps and that is all that happened. He could have actually ticketed him but we got the impression that even the wardens thought it was an asinine regulation.

The other one that bugs me is the no dove hunting in many states that have plenty. Doves are migratory. Don't shoot them in one state and they'll get shot in another.

Oh, and I'll throw in the retarded no Sunday hunting laws also...

Last edited by Dryfly24; 08/30/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
It's weird down here I tell ya. You can shoot critters but not a-holes. .

Sure ya' can.....................

if you're an Uber driver!

Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 08/30/18.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You cannot hunt any small game during big game with a larger than .23 diameter (gets around Wyo.'s odd rule).
Not true. You can hunt small game with a larger than .23 dia. IF you have an unfilled big game license and if I remember right there are different rules that allow small game/small caliber east of the I-25 corridor.

Last edited by TRnCO; 08/30/18.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jimy
In Pa you can't hunt on Sundays but that leaves you both NY and OHio both have great seasons, quit bitchin.

jimy,

Please explain why a person who lives in the center of PA should be required to obtain a non-resident license and/or tags, drive however many miles, and do all this on their only day off makes any logical sense at all? After all, are they citizens of the Commonwealth or not?

It might work somewhat, excluding the added expense, for those who live close to a bordering state, but still seems rather odd to me.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
MT had a law that a person cannot use a game camera during any hunting season. So from 15 August to sometime in June a person couldn't use them. Odd thing about that regulation is it wasn't even law. I talked to a game warden about it and he said someone just put it in the regs, but here was no law to back it up. He still took came cameras though that he found during season since it was in the regs. Not following written regulations is what he based it on.

The one I hate the most is having to pay to use state land to recreate on.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Shotgun only deer states

I agree that this one is the absolute dumbest.

In shotgun-only deer states, you can hunt with, for example, a sabot-rifled 300gr slug leaving the shotgun muzzle at 2,000 fps:
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/XP3/SXP123

But you can’t hunt with, for example, a 45-70 rifle throwing the same size bullet at a slower speed: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...vernment-300-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

I think the entire shotgun-only deer rule is nonsensical, but if they were even going to try to make it make sense, they should have an upward velocity limit; rather than limiting the hunting to a certain type of firearm that can fire bullets at rifle velocities.

In the mid-1990s, my brother moved from a sparsely-populated area of Indiana, where he had to hunt deer with a shotgun, to Charlottesville, Virginia. Soon after moving, he went to a G&A store, and asked the old-timer running it a bunch of questions about nearby places to shoot, hunt, fish, etc. … The old-timer patiently answered all of his questions in an informative manner. As my brother was leaving, he thanked the man, and then said: “One more question, can you hunt deer with a rifle here”? The old man walked up to my brother, put his hand on his shoulder, and sympathetically told him: “Son, you south of the Mason-Dixon line now.”

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As I can recall in my old age.

PA: having to wear hunter orange while squirrel hunting with my bow for squirrel while walking to my deer hunting area. The no Sunday hunting has been discussed. And the no-semi auto firearms for deer hunting, but slide and lever action are allowed.

All states: residency laws. When a person moves for a "permanent" position and moves all their scheidt cross country, changes driver's license,insurance, start paying State and Local taxes, perhaps buys a residence or signs a lease on a place and so on, yet they are not considered a "resident" for hunting/fishing purposes for 3-12 months depending on the state. Honestly............a person does all that just to save a couple of hundred $$$ on a license?

CA: how about this one I think is still on the books..............If the wildlife folks determine a need for a doe season the County Board of Supervisors gets to say yeah or nay. Smart, eh? County Supervisors making game law decisions. laugh laugh

WA: I could not hunt grouse in an area with an open big game season with my 25-20 pistol if I did not also possess a valid big game tag for that unit. I could with a .22, but not the pistol I would choose to use. (yes, I sort of understand their reasoning............sort of but mostly not)

NY: at least I think it was this way back in '99. During deer season one could only use a shotgun in some areas but it was perfectly fine to sit in farmer John's field and shoot woodchucks with a centerfire rifle............... confused

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Shotgun only deer states

I agree that this one is the absolute dumbest.

In shotgun-only deer states, you can hunt with, for example, a sabot-rifled 300gr slug leaving the shotgun muzzle at 2,000 fps:
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/XP3/SXP123

But you can’t hunt with, for example, a 45-70 rifle throwing the same size bullet at a slower speed: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...vernment-300-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

I think the entire shotgun-only deer rule is nonsensical, but if they were even going to try to make it make sense, they should have an upward velocity limit; rather than limiting the hunting to a certain type of firearm that can fire bullets at rifle velocities.

In the mid-1990s, my brother moved from a sparsely-populated area of Indiana, where he had to hunt deer with a shotgun, to Charlottesville, Virginia. Soon after moving, he went to a G&A store, and asked the old-timer running it a bunch of questions about nearby places to shoot, hunt, fish, etc. … The old-timer patiently answered all of his questions in an informative manner. As my brother was leaving, he thanked the man, and then said: “One more question, can you hunt deer with a rifle here”? The old man walked up to my brother, put his hand on his shoulder, and sympathetically told him: “Son, you south of the Mason-Dixon line now.”

Usually dogs and shotguns.....and a pile of f-n drunks. They'll get some mutt from the pound and let it chase anything that moves. If you hear one shot, it was at a beer can or stop sign.......it takes 3 shots to kill a deer.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
[quote=Mountain10mm]Let's hear them.

Wyoming used to have an energy requirement for hunting big game with handguns that specified published velocity of 500 ft lbs at 100 yards. That pretty much meant .41 Magnum or better. The law changed in the last couple of years to allow (in part) for bighorn sheep, elk, moose, mountain goat or black bear :

"Any center-fire firearm of at least .24 caliber and firing a cartridge of at least two (2) inches in overall length, or any other cartridge of at least .35 caliber and at least one and one-half inches (1.5) in overall length, and using an expanding point bullet; or . . ."

Now, the way I read that, I could get a 2" S&W J frame .357 magnum revolver, load an expanding point bullet in a .357 magnum case to over 1.5 inches COL behind 4 grains of 231, and be legal, while the best Underwood/Double Tap/Buffalo Bore 10 mm round fired out of as Colt Delta Elite won't meet the criteria. Sometimes good ideas don't get implemented in the best possible manner.

I hear you Cheyenne. Clearly some clueless person was trying to keep the weak rounds from being used for hunting. I get that. The answer is as simple as a min. caliber and min. muzzle energy. Say .35 caliber or larger with a min. muzzle energy of 550 ft. lbs. It's really that easy.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
As I can recall in my old age.

All states: residency laws. When a person moves for a "permanent" position and moves all their scheidt cross country, changes driver's license,insurance, start paying State and Local taxes, perhaps buys a residence or signs a lease on a place and so on, yet they are not considered a "resident" for hunting/fishing purposes for 3-12 months depending on the state. Honestly............a person does all that just to save a couple of hundred $$$ on a license?

Geno

OMG completely forget about that one. When I moved to Colorado 15 years ago, I had CO driver's license, was employed, was paying state taxes, had a house, and registered both of our cars here, but couldn't buy a resident elk tag. Was livid. If I remember right, we had 30 days to register our cars and get local driver's licenses or we could be fined as avoiding state fees (which were about $600 more per vehicle than the state I came from.) If I had the money, I'd have taken the DOW to court just out of principle. I'd probably have lost because some loophole law that lets the DOW make their own rules, but it was, and still is, asinine. You either are a resident of the state or not.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Antlers not allowed as proof of sex.
In Idaho they are as long as they're still attached to a front quarter. Likewise for does or cows during an anterless season.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The whole proof of sex thing has always bugged me. How is a hunter's sex life any of their business? grin

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In CA you must use non lead shot for Turkeys but you can shoot them with a lead pellet out of a pellet gun

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,391
Posts18,527,768
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.