Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 39 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 38 39
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Interesting: https://talkbusiness.net/2017/09/the-supply-side-wal-mart-seeks-price-protection-on-layaway-items/

Suppliers to Wal-Mart Stores are receiving notice from the retail giant of a cost shift requiring product suppliers to provide price protection for items such as electronics, apparel and toys that are bought and placed in holiday layaway.

Talk Business & Politics obtained a copy of this notice sent from Walmart Global Business Services to certain suppliers.

The retailer is asking suppliers to cover the cost on all inventory when there is a price drop such as year-end closeouts or holiday promotions. For example, if a customer buys a television for $800 and puts that item in layaway ahead of Christmas, but the manufacturer lowers the cost to $725 to help clear inventory by year-end, Wal-Mart will expect the supplier to cover the $75 price differential per item in the retailer’s inventory, which includes layaway.

Wal-Mart said it doesn’t record the layaway sale until the item is picked up, so it’s still considered inventory. The retail giant said it previously didn’t have visibility to items once they are put in layaway because layaway merchandise is pulled from store inventory and placed in “layaway liability.” Wal-Mart said inventory in layaway liability mode at the time of a price cost decrease is picked up by customers at the new lower cost. In other words, the retailer said it’s passing the lower cost on the customer at the expense of the supplier.

Boyd Evert, president of Harvest Revenue Group, said his firm is working multiple six-figure chargeback claims from last holiday season from suppliers related to price drops during the holiday season, which also happens to be year-end. One frustration Evert said suppliers have with this policy is a lack of transparency and visibility to know if the customer really pays the lower price. He said suppliers want to know if customers are getting the lower price and there now is no evidence of that from Wal-Mart.

Evert said the claims coming from this policy are increasing because suppliers are not protecting themselves in their contract negotiations with Wal-Mart. His advice for suppliers is to specifically spell out in the contract the manufacturer will not provide price protection for items sold into layaway.

“Suppliers who made that stipulation last year avoided claims and those who got claims had them canceled within hours of receipt. It’s an incredibly cumbersome process for suppliers to try and follow the money. They can back into the math and get pretty close by using Retail Link and replenishment data and taking out the inventory numbers in stores from the items shipped per store to try and estimate how many units are in sold into layaway. It’s a store-by-store accounting which is tedious for suppliers in 4,000 stores,” Evert said.

He said suppliers at the most risk for chargebacks are those who sell toys, electronics, apparel and other seasonal merchandise frequently placed into layaway. Those are also often the items that receive holiday promotions that lower prices between early September and mid-December, the timeframe of Wal-Mart’s layaway program.

Deloitte reported just 14% of consumers used layaway for the holidays last year. The same report found despite some early pre-Thanksgiving promotions and layaway to help them stretch out the payments of large ticket items, 40% of consumers waited until December to start their shopping. Just 5% began shopping in October and 9% did majority of holiday shopping on Black Friday, while 6% made major purchases on Cyber Monday.

Evert said clients he represents against retail chargebacks have seen six- and seven-figure claims related to holiday price drops and it’s likely to happen again unless suppliers take a proactive approach in contract negotiations to exempt layaway price protections.
––––––––––––––––––––––––

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Damned Walmart anyway.

Someone said the 3-9 vx 2 was marked down some more. I drove forty miles each way this evening to check where I had bought one last week.

Yep, they still have one in the display case. Wandered around until I found a clerk stocking shelves. "I will take that one."

He can not find any in the stock drawers. "That is all right, I will take the display."

He can not find the box. " I do not care, I will take that one."

He called the manager. We can not sell the display model. WTF, they are discontinued. You will not be getting any more of them in?

I am going to call over tomorrow and get the day shift manager and see if I can get it locked up.

This stupid chit is exactly why I won’t be spending another dollar in walmart. It’s too damn complicated to buy there. I will spend my money at stores that have present, competent employees and will sell you their in stock goods at the right price. Walmart is a bureaucracy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Well, I got my scope. VX 2 3-9x40 for $74. It took some doing, but I got it done. A phone call at 09:00 this morning to the SG manager explaining yesterday's fiasco expedited matters.

The Sporting Goods manager was a hoot on the phone. He carefully explained that he could not reduce the price, just because it was a display. He told me the scope was already on sale for $154 and that was 1/2 price. I just told him okay, no problem. I just want the scope. I was not trying to haggle the price.

Then, when I got to the store, the clerk scanned it. $74! It's like winning a lottery ticket.

That makes three 3-9 VX-2s and one 4-12 VX-2 windplex CDS, (and another 4-12x40 for a buddy) I have picked up since they have been placed on clearance. Not all from Walmart.

I took half a day off work, vacation, and drove over to Caldwell to get the one I knew about. Then I traveled to 6 other Walmarts in the Boise/Meridian/Nampa area looking for more.

No joy! No more VX 2s, and no Monarch IIIs. I did not even see a Vanguard on the rack in any store I visited.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 08/30/18.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I need to hit my bud up for another road trip. I know where a blackstone griddle is for $74

lol

He can polish the brass on his dove loads while I drive

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I'm beginning to wonder now if Walmart even allows layaway of closeout items. Kind of makes sense that they wouldn't on certain items and especially anything close out priced because it's not going to be stocked anymore or replaced by new or different models instead.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2

I'm beginning to wonder now if Walmart even allows layaway of closeout items. Kind of makes sense that they wouldn't on certain items and especially anything close out priced because it's not going to be stocked anymore or replaced by new or different models instead.

Me, too, but I will give it a shot today on a syn .243.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

At least in the stores I've worked in, (Walmart employee for over 15 years) we couldn't put guns or clearance items in layaway. The store I'm in now (Lakeville, Mn. #5992) only does layaway during Christmas season, and only on toys, electronics, and jewelry.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Right

But your little nephew leeroy could if you told him about a fantastic sale going down on a specific item

Btw, they were going to give me the business the other day on a rifle that "darrell wouldnt be in till 1pm and it takes two to make a firearms sale and do a 4473"

I said no problem slap on lay-a-way, I'll be back in 4 hours

But, miraculously....darrell or wtf ever his name was there all along, he was feeding the fuggin goldfish in Pets Dept "cause that's his thing"

And the lay-a-way deal....i've skirted that before in times past, they will lay away anything even a firearm 365 days a year IF you simply conduct the transaction at the jewelry counter. I've done it. ( may be different now) but have done before about 3-4 yrs ago

Just my experiences

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The answer from dayshift management: no notice for further markdowns from HQ and can not yet be put on layaway... Mini14 still $599.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by slumlord
Right

But your little nephew leeroy could if you told him about a fantastic sale going down on a specific item

Btw, they were going to give me the business the other day on a rifle that "darrell wouldnt be in till 1pm and it takes two to make a firearms sale and do a 4473"

I said no problem slap on lay-a-way, I'll be back in 4 hours

But, miraculously....darrell or wtf ever his name was there all along, he was feeding the fuggin goldfish in Pets Dept "cause that's his thing"

And the lay-a-way deal....i've skirted that before in times past, they will lay away anything even a firearm 365 days a year IF you simply conduct the transaction at the jewelry counter. I've done it. ( may be different now) but have done before about 3-4 yrs ago

Just my experiences

I bought some ammunition back last winter at Walmart and asked the sporting goods clerk that waited on me if I could pay for it along with the rest of the stuff we were buying when we checked out up front. Was told no because ammo and firearms sales transactions had to be processed through the sporting goods register.

Also, from what I've read on Walmart's website, store associates get paid every two weeks, and paydays are on Thursdays. Yesterday, 8/30, was a Thursday.

A payday?

If it was, checking out suspicious store inventories on some of the close-out priced items later on today and tomorrow might be a bit interesting.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had two walmarts 22 miles apart

One had the clearance item at $199

The other walmart across town was $99

I asked the $199 store if they'd price match their OWN F UCKING STORE across town. Girlie said no, we only price match walmart.com

Which is not accurate, I make them price match grocery items from Aldi and Food lion all the time.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
The answer from dayshift management: no notice for further markdowns from HQ and can not yet be put on layaway... Mini14 still $599.

That makes mine at $399 × 2 plus tax feel like I got a good deal out the door. Hopefully both sons will be pleased at Christmas time. It took a couple of days early on in the sale to find the second one, but mission accomplished.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Pisses me off when they have something rolled back at one location but not the other! Fuggers! LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pisses me off when they have something rolled back at one location but not the other! Fuggers! LOL

I know. I found a store that had the Nikon scopes that slumlord and renegade had found for $99, but they are still marked regular price of $357. Plus......they deny that the other stores have marked them that low.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for keeping these Walmart threads at the top lol.

On a whim last night (after reading here of course) I checked to see if my local Walmart still had the last set of Leupold BX-2 Acadia's on hand. They did and they were further marked down to $49. So this morning I took the two sets I bought last week back and got a refund of something like $104....then walked over to the sporting goods section and bought the last pair.

Another great score, 3 pair for $49 each!!

Unfortunately not a single scope within an hours drive of my location though.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I missed the Wby .243 I was hoping for this morning, but guess what? A Savage youth .243 at $199 is now on my layaway...I can add a slip-on Limbsaver to make it a fit for me, and who knows if my first grand daughter in 10 years or so will need one.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have to try to score some of those binocs!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by kid0917
I missed the Wby .243 I was hoping for this morning, but guess what? A Savage youth .243 at $199 is now on my layaway...I can add a slip-on Limbsaver to make it a fit for me, and who knows if my first grand daughter in 10 years or so will need one.

Good deal!

Sounds like the youth model could work out just as well now for your use and even better in the long run for your granddaughter's first center-fire.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
30-06 and 270 left on the rack at my local..............I was there this morning with my 5 year old son. Both synthetic $249 models.

Having a hard time not driving 10 minutes to go pickup the 270. Might do it before days end.

Brickseek is showing "out of stock" on all else Weatherby in my town anyhow.

Even if you don't want any of these, they sure will make great trading fodder for the future.

Or a donor for a custom barrel...............can't have enough donors, right?

Market will come back around someday!

They had a 270 with nice furniture on it at local store i went to. But my buddy told me he would "out me" for buying it. Lol

Haha,
Just think if these were chambered in 6.5 manbun, they'd all have been sold out the first day.

I'll take O'connor's darling anyday, regardless of how many hipsters heckled me for it.

That made me LMFAO

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by JamesJr

I know. I found a store that had the Nikon scopes that slumlord and renegade had found for $99, but they are still marked regular price of $357. Plus......they deny that the other stores have marked them that low.

Did they actually scan the Nikon scope you were wanting to check if it might be clearance price?

If not I believe I would have had to politely insist that they did and showed me the scanned price before I left that store.

Page 21 of 39 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,374
Posts18,488,432
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.