Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
rylee1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Hello guys I have a couple Swarovski Z3 scopes I dont use turrets, just simple scopes on hunting rifles. Would like to try a Nightforce like maybe a SHV 3 x 10 How would the Nightforce compare to the Swaro

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nightforce is a much better scope .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Optically, the Swarovski wins, mechanically the NF should be more robust. If you don’t dial and aren’t going to start, I’d probably stick with your status quo.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
EBay had a 15% discount coupon and I bought a NightForce SHV 3-10x42mm .250MOA Riflescope, Forceplex Reticle for $773 to my door. Opticsplanet had it on EBay for $873, the coupon saved $100. Not sure if that coupon is still available.

I have Z3 and Z5, both with turrets, thinking the SHV will be a better twisting scope. Not sure if the optics are any better. Swaro glass is pretty good.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have 4 Nightforce scopes, 1 SHV, 2 NXS and 1 ATCAR. I like them all a lot! The Gen 1 ATACR is a 5-25x56 on a Gunwerks RevX 7mm RM, the glass is amazing, no experience with a Swarovski.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
How does SHV glass stack up against NXS?

DF

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by rylee1
Hello guys I have a couple Swarovski Z3 scopes I dont use turrets, just simple scopes on hunting rifles. Would like to try a Nightforce like maybe a SHV 3 x 10 How would the Nightforce compare to the Swaro

Significantly more robust, reliable, and consistent. Function wise there is no comparison. “Glass” is about the same.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
How does SHV glass stack up against NXS?

DF

Mostly same/same with a bit more color pop than older NXS’s.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, look forward to getting my SHV.

Will report.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

you are comparing 2 totally different scopes, I think the z3 is a 1" tube isn't it? the z3 is a set it and forget it type scope. think erectors and springs inside not really setup to be robust and used a lot. its a scope designed for a hunting rifle to be light. The SHV is heavy duty and much more durable I would think. the SHV is going to be quite a bit heavier, like 50% heavier.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

you are comparing 2 totally different scopes, I think the z3 is a 1" tube isn't it? the z3 is a set it and forget it type scope. think erectors and springs inside not really setup to be robust and used a lot. its a scope designed for a hunting rifle to be light. The SHV is heavy duty and much more durable I would think. the SHV is going to be quite a bit heavier, like 50% heavier.

+1

DF

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For a non turret-twister, I wouldn’t bother to switch. I’ve had good use out of the Z3’s on a lightweight hunting rifle and to my eyes their glass beats the NF I have and others I’ve seen noticeably. The NF SHV is almost a half-lb heavier too.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my night-time chart tests, the glass in the Nightforce SHV's is a little brighter than the Z3 scopes. But higher-priced Swarovskis are brighter.

Z3's generally work fine as set-and-forget scopes. SHV's can be dialed repeatedly, with exactly the same results every time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, my perceptions are subjective to be sure — no charts involved. And then at times, perhaps while looking through my SHV, I’m also looking through one of my “floaters.”

Older age brings a buffet of physical delights. 😏

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

You reckon....!!
😄

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking through my new SHV at 20 minutes after sunset. Light gathering and clarity was better than my Leupold VX3 and VX3i scopes, but not as good as my VX6 Glass. I’m satisfied with what the SHV offers me. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Yeah, my perceptions are subjective to be sure — no charts involved. And then at times, perhaps while looking through my SHV, I’m also looking through one of my “floaters.”

I hear 'ya, and I hate those darn things.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the astonishing aspects of Nightforce SHV's that many hunters don't consider is they also work incredibly well as set-and-forget scopes, in fact far better than some similarly priced non-dialing scopes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

John, I’ve been shooting my SHV all summer and I do like it but I am sure having trouble with the MOAR reticle on dark backgrounds.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
George,

Well, sure. You need the Forceplex reticle, which NF started offering last year for geezers like you and me. It's a basic plex-type reticle, which most "dial-scope" makers don't offer.

Last year I was leaned a test scope from a well-known dialing scope company for a black bear hunt. The reticle was so skinny it disappeared when tried against one of the black bear hides from our house, draped over a tree limb at only 50 yards. I mentioned this to the scope company guy, asking for the same scope with the plex-type reticle shown on their website. He said the plex had been recently dscontinued, because only a very few "traditional guys" bought them. He also said he'd hunted with the thin reticle with no problems. I considered asking if he'd hunted black bears with it--and how old he was--but didn't bother.

Nightforce listens.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
George,

Well, sure. You need the Forceplex reticle, which NF started offering last year for geezers like you and me. It's a basic plex-type reticle, which most "dial-scope" makers don't offer.

Last year I was leaned a test scope from a well-known dialing scope company for a black bear hunt. The reticle was so skinny it disappeared when tried against one of the black bear hides from our house, draped over a tree limb at only 50 yards. I mentioned this to the scope company guy, asking for the same scope with the plex-type reticle shown on their website. He said the plex had been recently dscontinued, because only a very few "traditional guys" bought them. He also said he'd hunted with the thin reticle with no problems. I considered asking if he'd hunted black bears with it--and how old he was--but didn't bother.

Nightforce listens.

FFP, thats what the reticles do on low power. most people shooting those scopes are only doing it at a gun range.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (17CalFan, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,698
Posts18,475,238
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.