Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
They might want to copy Vortex G4 reticle on their HD LH. That is the one thing that attracts me to those scopes aside from the lightweight and excellent glass.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Got my NF 3-10x42 Forceplex SHV mounted in med LW Talley rings on my Creed McWoody 700 Mtn. Rifle with #2 Shilen. I like it.

Seemed like a much better fit due to action length than the MkV 7RM, which would have required a Picatinny rail. Will leave the VX-6 2-12x42 on that one.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/12/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looks Good!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks perfect!

I put a 3-10 SHV each on a Rem long and short 700. The two SHV's replaced two VX-3, 3.5-10's

I know a lot of people fret the weight and despite being heavier than the Leupolds, I had a hard time noticing it when the SHV's were mounted and ready to go. So far both SHV's have worked great also. Very pleased.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 3-10x42 SHV's are half a pound heavier than 3.5-10x40 Leupolds, not much in the big scheme of things. I have one on my NULA 30-06, which has broken several other scopes. Brought the weight up to 7 pounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, handles great, comes up fast with good eyebox; the reticle is very good.

I think this combo could become a favorite.

This gun is very accurate. I want to find a good 147 ELD-M load, get a ballistic tape and do some twisting.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Lonny
Looks perfect!

I put a 3-10 SHV each on a Rem long and short 700. The two SHV's replaced two VX-3, 3.5-10's

I know a lot of people fret the weight and despite being heavier than the Leupolds, I had a hard time noticing it when the SHV's were mounted and ready to go. So far both SHV's have worked great also. Very pleased.

In this case, the wt. is between the hands, balances out really well, gun doesn't feel heavy.

The more I mess with it, the better I like it.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Another nice rig DF. Really like that one. Please update on your experience with the SHV. I liked the Forceplex, but haven't used one and only fiddled with it once.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
looks like there was room to reverse the rear ring.....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I think that's the way it's gotta go. If reversed, it would stick out over the bolt slot.

It's the front one that can go either way...

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Another nice rig DF. Really like that one. Please update on your experience with the SHV. I liked the Forceplex, but haven't used one and only fiddled with it once.

Just got it put together tonight.

First impression is very good. I like my scopes mounted back a bit for a heads up approach; I don't stock crawl.

With the med LW Talley rings, it seems about perfect. The Mtn. Rifle comb isn't too extreme, allows good head position, good cheek weld while looking squarely into the scope. It seems to have a generous eyebox like our VX-6's. The glass is really good, probably somewhere between VX-3 and VX-6.

The reticle isn't quite as bold as the VX-6, but as bold if not bolder than the VX-3, sorta in between.

I don't think you'll lose this reticle in dim light. The Forceplex is not like the wide VX-5 duplex, just the opposite, more like the VX-3, the thick part may be even closer to the center, fine wires are pretty short.

You have enough fine reticle for precision shooting, enough heavy reticle to be there in dim light. They did a good job with this reticle, well thought out, IMO.

This scope is built like a tank and looks the part.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I think that's the way it's gotta go. If reversed, it would stick out over the bolt slot.

It's the front one that can go either way...

DF

Uhhh, OK, whatever you say.....
My kimber ones go both ways....

Personally, I'd want all the ring spacing I could get, even IF it stuck over the 'bolt slot'. Wouldn't be any different than a rail over it. But it's your baby.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With a 700 and Talleys, the problem is more so that the bolt would hit it if reversed.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
With a 700 and Talleys, the problem is more so that the bolt would hit it if reversed.

Correct.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Just got it put together tonight.

First impression is very good. I like my scopes mounted back a bit for a heads up approach; I don't stock crawl.

DF

I'm the same way.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Got my NF 3-10x42 Forceplex SHV mounted in med LW Talley rings on my Creed McWoody 700 Mtn. Rifle with #2 Shilen. I like it.

Seemed like a much better fit due to action length than the MkV 7RM, which would have required a Picatinny rail. Will leave the VX-6 2-12x42 on that one.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like it....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oddly enough, I like my SHV the most on my rather light 84M. Yes, the scope is heavy, but in that case the overall package remains pleasant to carry and it points really well. It’s when the rifle is a bit heavier to start and then the overall package becomes burdensome where I find the SHV less appealing. Still like it, but wish it were a bit lighter.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by prm
Oddly enough, I like my SHV the most on my rather light 84M. Yes, the scope is heavy, but in that case the overall package remains pleasant to carry and it points really well. It’s when the rifle is a bit heavier to start and then the overall package becomes burdensome where I find the SHV less appealing. Still like it, but wish it were a bit lighter.

That's basically what JB was saying. Putting it on a light gun sorta balances out the total package.

This gun is 7#'s, even; the scope runs it into the mid 8's, but due to balance, it feels lighter than that.

It would be even lighter if the Mtn. Rifle McWoody was Edge rather than std. fill; I picked it up used here on the Classifieds, would have ordered Edge if buying it new. The irony: McM will no longer sell an Edge in McWoody. Because the black carbon Edge shell sometimes showed thru marble type finishes, they now only offer Edge in marble finishes with black backgrounds. Of course, the McWoody background color is brown.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
weight or having a pretty rifle don`t concern me, when I am killin animals,accuracy and being able to see thru my scope in all weather conditions is what I need always and to be honest ,I hunt in very cold conditions sometimes -20 below these nightforce scopes seem to stay clear , stay zeroed in, even when I just leave my rifles outside or in the truck and they do get beat up a little too. >have you ever seen the Nightforce advertisement on the American sniper soldier with the bullet thru his nightforce scope ? and this soldier just kept using that shot up Nightforce scope and that scope never failed him so that`s why I use them. good luck with your choice,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I appreciate that endorsement of the NF. I get your point about utility over aesthetics.

But, I'd rather have a pretty gun that performs than an ugly gun that performs.

But, I have no issue with guys who shoot ugly guns, date ugly girls or drive Dodge trucks... shocked

To each his own... grin

DF

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.