Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I'm going to buy either a Marlin 336 or a Henry 30-30.

I'm familiar with the 336, and like it, but would like to hear your thoughts about a comparison with the Henry, which I've never owned/shot.

If price was the same, which one would you buy, and the one or two reasons "why?"....

Thanks in advance for your recommendations/comments!!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never used a Henry, but I don't like the magazine. I'd buy a Winchester 94 because that is what I grew up using. The triggers are much better than my Marlins.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Youper
I've never used a Henry, but I don't like the magazine. I'd buy a Winchester 94 because that is what I grew up using. The triggers are much better than my Marlins.

Thanks for the advice, will add the 94 to my list.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like the Marlins and old Marlins in excellent condition can still be bought at bargain prices. But get what you like. Henry, Marlin, Mossberg 464, and the Winchester are all good guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Henry's are way too fugly for me to ever entertain them.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Henry Long Ranger in 308...yes. That's the only rifle Henry makes that I find interesting.

Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several Marlins, a Mossberg, a pre-64 94, a 1886, a ‘92, and had a BLR.
I never had a Henry.

There’s several things I like about Henry.

Of the one’s I own or have owned the pre-64 model 94 in 32 Special and the Model ‘92 are my favorites, but I wouldn’t use either for pronghorn. The 92 has shot a lot of PD’s, jack rabbits, cotton tails and squirrels.

So, the first question for choosing for me would be, “For What will it be used?”

If it’s a deer rifle and the range was under 200 yards, it would be a aperture sighted rifle in any of several cartridges.
If it will be used for varmints, bigger than what I’ve used the ‘92, a scoped lever with an appropriate cartridge.
If it were to be used for elk, then I’d want more power, a 308 Win would be my minimum cartridge, but my preference would be a 358 Win or similar power or more - then I’d be looking at the Henry or a BLR. To bad the original old 348’s, 33 Win, and 45-90 are not still available.

Then there’s the fine 1895’s.

Finally $’s come into the picture. Marlin’s are much less expensive and in my opinion better than post 63 ‘94’s.

Same price as a Henry - 6 of one and a half dozen of the other if you are limiting it to a 30-30.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I'd say the 336 is far more easy to take down/clean & maintain

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I am fond of the pre safety Marlins.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've got old Winchesters and Marlins. I like both. Both are great rifles.

The ease of takedown and maintenance is why I feel the Marlin to be a better rifle. This is a big deal to me because taking down a levergun like a Winchester 1894, 1886, or 71 is not an easy task, nor is putting it back together. The Marlin OTOH is a piece of cake. Marlin wins with the simplicity factor.

Being that there's a good deal of older vintage Marlin rifles out there, I don't see why one would even entertain an Henry 30-30 that doesn't even come with a proper feeding gate and who's parts arent the same grade as the old vintage Winchester and Marlins.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Youper

I'll second all that. Don't get me wrong... Imperato is a good guy and often donates guns to be raffled for worthy causes. He certainly deserves my business but aside from his 22's, nothing he makes appeals to me. The Long Ranger might be an exception; but I could probably find a BLR for the asking price and I'd grab the Browning in a heartbeat.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I'd agree

Henry build a nice lever gun........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of the Henry here:

The loading tube on Henrys is "different" to someone used to a loading gate but that's just cosmetic, and it's not going to pinch my finger or grab a wool glove like a loading gate can. There are lots of comments on reviews about the danger of having your hand in front of the muzzle to extend the tube - just like every Winchester 9422 and Marlin 39 ever made, and if there is an epidemic of perforated hands from those it's been a secret to me. One thing I can really get behind for appearance is the lack of a wart safety.

I've been trying to get a handle on their accuracy but the youtube videos I've seen are made by dirt clod shooters (a generic term) so I'm not finding any good empirical data on that by someone who knows what he's doing. If anybody knows of one I'd be happy to see it. A fellow at the range had one a couple weeks ago getting it set for a lever action silhouette match. It was an All Weather .30-30 and he shot a sub-MOA four shot group at 100 yards using the issue open sights - he is an accomplished shooter - but I was suitably impressed. If they can maintain that kind of accuracy then I'm not seeing any problems with them.

To throw two cents at the original question, it would probably come down to handling both a Henry and Marlin side by side and getting whichever one feels best. Remington messed up Marlin for a while but the ones in the last 2-3 years seem to be pretty well made, but all of the Henry's I've seen have been very well put together. The checkering and that kind of fish belly forend make the Henry's look odd in pictures but not in person.

I've owned multiple Marlins and Winchesters and would like to get a Henry just to see for myself, but these days need a longer barrel to see the front sight okay. Would love to see them make one that mimicked the 336A or XLR configuration with a 24" barrel and short magazine tube.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably just boils down to personal preference. My 30-30 is an Mod 94AE. It just seemed a bit lighter and handier than the 336 I sold. My .357 lever gun is a Henry, the brass one with 20" octagon barrel. A might heavy,but, I don't care, it's accurate as heck.
In lever guns, it's what YOU like that counts. I'm looking for a .45Colt. Marlin or Henry, I'll see which one I like best.
Personal preference remember.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1234, 222Sako, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 72 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,786
Posts18,496,009
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.