Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I move here two years ago to retire. I wanted Idaho, but the wife wanted someplace warm. I like it. Good people, good weather, lots of BLM land to hunt, and fairly cheap cost of living. But I've never seen a state so soft on crime in my life. It's ridiculous. And tags are hard to come by also...

Last edited by Dryfly24; 09/04/18.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There's good and bad things about New Mexico.

I grew up in Albuquerque, left after I graduated high school, and haven't moved back. My parents have lived there since 1980.

Here are some things that I can think of off the top of head:

Good: Weather, lots of public land, good food, lots of outdoor activities, traffic.

Bad: Crime, low paying jobs, welfare state, corrupt government, racial tensions, people aren't very friendly...compared to Texas, big game permits are hard to get for public land, dry-so dry that it really limits hunting, long drives to go fishing.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Whiptail

There's good and bad things about New Mexico.

I grew up in Albuquerque, left after I graduated high school, and haven't moved back. My parents have lived there since 1980.

Here are some things that I can think of off the top of head:

Good: Weather, lots of public land, good food, lots of outdoor activities, traffic.

Bad: Crime, low paying jobs, welfare state, corrupt government, racial tensions, people aren't very friendly...compared to Texas, big game permits are hard to get for public land, dry-so dry that it really limits hunting, long drives to go fishing.

[quote=Whiptail]

I would agree with most of what you wrote although I must say in all honesty, I've found the people here very friendly so far. I lived in Texas back in the late 90's, early 2000's and hated it. I'd take NM over Texas any day of the week. Worse God Damned drivers I've ever seen...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

I would agree with most of what you wrote although I must say in all honesty, I've found the people here very friendly so far. I lived in Texas back in the late 90's, early 2000's and hated it. I'd take NM over Texas any day of the week. Worse God Damned drivers I've ever seen...

I never lived in Las Cruces so I'll take your word for it. Texas is far from nirvana but I've found enough good things to keep me here for quite a while. Traffic is terrible here but people mostly drive friendly and I don't see a lot of road rage but it's getting worse with all the transplants moving in.

Last edited by Whiptail; 09/04/18.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

I never lived in Las Cruces so I'll take your word for it. Texas is far from nirvana but I've found enough good things to keep me here for quite a while. Traffic is terrible here but people mostly drive friendly and I don't see a lot of road rage but it's getting worse with all the transplants moving in.

I figure the closer to the border, the worse it gets. Driving in El Paso is like the movie Death Race 2000 or Mad Max. People there are freaking lunatics. I try to stay as far from that place as possible.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 09/04/18.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lived outta my car for six months in Southern New Mexico, January through August in 1980. Longhair, NY plates.

I did day labor to survive while applying for the Peace Corps. Friggin' amazingly friendly people back then, never had any problems at all, even from the Cops. I have good friends there from back then that I still have today, thirty miles east of Ruidoso.

If they have ever locked their house or their cars I ain't aware of it.

I will say there's quite a few more people in that area now though.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I figure the closer to the border, the worse it gets. Driving in El Paso is like the movie Death Race 2000 or Mad Max. People there are freaking lunatics. I try to stay as far from that place as possible.

Go there for the 4th, people shoot off fireworks all over, especially along Hwy 54 north of town grin You'll be right in the middle of a firefight with bottle rockets bouncing off of your vehicle and bushes burning off in the desert. If it was anything BUT desert out there the whole place woulda been ashes long ago.

Then go join the crowd parked along the Trans-Mountain Road across the Franklins to watch the fireworks, you can see where Juarez on the other side of the world is because they use yellow street lights.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks all.

Seems a lot of my guesses about the place, both good & bad, are close.

Probably should just get out there & see it instead of asking or talking about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife has family in Taos. Grandpap raised sheep.

It's basically Mexico with out the beach. But yes, the food was killer.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You probably don't want to retire in NM. It's getting way too crowded.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Espanola is a wonderful place for a white boy to spend time and retire!

laugh

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I visit NM every year. From a visitor's perspective I like it. Tons of public land to play on. Very few congested population centers. Santa Fe is pretty cool. From a retirees perspective, I think it has a good bit to offer. Places like Raton and Las Vegas are gographically beautiful if a bit aged and worn. Sitting right where the plains meet to Rockies they have the best of both worlds. Small older houses there are affordable if you want to live in the city. Finding affordable acreage anywhere near a town can be a challenge.

city-data.com has good, easy to search crime stats. usclimatedata.com has good weather data.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a white boy that was born in Espanola...but I left when I graduated high school and never considered retiring there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if the Texans have a hard time drawing tags in Texas? grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SandBilly

I hope not!

If they put any more tags on there, the license won't fit in my back pocket! laugh

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ever noticed the 'turkey' looks like dinosaur? I knew you guys had some cool chit to hunt in TX but that's a new one!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Ever noticed the 'turkey' looks like dinosaur? I knew you guys had some cool chit to hunt in TX but that's a new one!

Wonder what the wetback tags will look like?

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by SandBilly

I hope not!

If they put any more tags on there, the license won't fit in my back pocket! laugh

[Linked Image]

That's all well and good if you have a place to hunt. That was the biggest problem I had when I lived there. Unless you had the money for a lease - which I didn't have that much back then - You couldn't set foot off pavement cause somebody would be threatening to shoot you if you tried to hunt there.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 09/05/18.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Eastern, particularly Curry County South is a good place to live for a Conservative outdoorsman that likes hunting. That area is Much like the Texas Panhandle culturally but with public hunting land. Some of the Transient oilfield culture in Lea, Eddy and Chavez can be rough so if you raise kids in those areas, they better know how to fight, whether boy or girl. The former KPMG controller in my office and myself both grew up in SE NM and we both separately have shared stories about how we learned to deal with issues, whether with the offspring of Northern Mexico cartel or oilfield ex cons. Oddly, the movie, "No Country for Old Men" slightly reminded me of there. Though, the NM Permian and contiguous areas have the jobs.

I do miss the hunting and being a short drive to the mountains, but many of my hunting buddies from those days are either rich, in prison or ex cons today. I don't have much experience with the Western side, but much of what is North of Clovis across the state is pretty progressive Demicrat (modern "Liberal" but as one with Libertarian leanings, I hate what politics has done to that classic, noble word).

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari
You're probably not Native-American enough to live there.

Or Mexican-American or Mexican enough either. Catholics vote dimocrap, as a rule. Welfare and govt assistance is a big factor, not abortion.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (22kHornet, 25aught6, 280ACKIMP, 222ND, 270wsmnutt, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,380
Posts18,527,505
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.